VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Limited of use of arm secondary to Arthritis?

Rate this question

BillB1970

Question

I currently have 20% for arthritis in my upper back.

When I use my arms in such a manner like swinging a hammer or holding them up above my head for long periods, it causes pain in my back.

• Do I have to have pain in my arm or joints in my arm to have a claim?
  • Can I get this service-connected as a secondary disability?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Possible. First of all, you have to define what your disability is. Go to http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/vadisabilityrating.html and get the diagnostic code for your disability. Match what your symptoms are with the symptom called out in that code. Does it look like your pain/issues will be worth pursuing from a financial point of view. If yes, then you need a nexus or connection to a service connected disability as a secondary. You need an independent medical opinion, IMO, from a medical expert that will show that your arthritus causes it. The doc has to demonstrate by medical evidence and has to use technical writings, journals, etc. He has to declare that based on review of your records, in his opinion "it is as likely as not", " more likely than not", or "is" the cause. His IMO also needs to include his curriculum vitae, which lists why he is qualified to make such a diagnosis, with his ed background, articles or books that he has published, if board certified (by who), work experience, etc. Most doc do not want to do theses IMO's and so, often you need to do some searching to get one that will do the trick. Cost money, hundreds or much more. But without a good IMO and/or a dbq, you don't stand much of a chance to win a claim.