VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P scheduling

Rate this question

Usaf9498

Question

Hello, 

I applied for disability on Aug 8th. Yesterday, 20th I got a call to schedule my c&p for hearing loss. I assumed they would schedule everything at once. Is that normal? 

Here is what I claimed if that helps. 

Screenshot_20190821-125551_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Usaf9498

My only advice is that if you are nervous tell the examiner.  Do not let them get under your skin, some of them may do that.  Don't raise your voice and try to relax.  They may ask you some pretty tough questions so do not be surprised if they do.  Buck has already given you some very good advice.

43 minutes ago, vetquest said:

My only advice is that if you are nervous tell the examiner.  Do not let them get under your skin, some of them may do that.  Don't raise your voice and try to relax.  They may ask you some pretty tough questions so do not be surprised if they do.  Buck has already given you some very good advice.

Vetquest, I'm pretty well terrified to be honest. My startle response is ridiculous, I'm snappy at my wife and kids, I get way too worked up over menial stuff, I have no friends anymore, I have sleep apnea, hearing loss, wake up at 3am almost every night with my tinnitus sounding like a cicada swarm inside my head, I drink like a fish, I own my business but have hired people because I can no longer deal with people, I avoid anything bright and noisy like fireworks, avoid public places and places with crowds. I am scared to death to do the exam. I just want to be better

• HadIt.com Elder

Try not to stress  but we all know that's hard not to.

here is a few tips to prepare for the exam.

Preparing for the C&P Exam

Make sure to bring the following to your C&P exam:

– Complete medical history of the conditions to be examined in the C&P Exam, including all doctors' reports and tests. You may have already submitted this information, but bring it to your C&P Exam anyway just in case the physician hasn't seen it or needs any of the information in it. 
– Specific knowledge of the exact information and tests the Rating Authorities need to properly assign a VA Disability Rating to each of your conditions. You can Find Your Conditions on our site to figure out exactly what is needed to rate them.   

It is essential for you to be proactive at your C&P Exam. All VA Physicians have access to Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs) that guide them through the exams to ensure that they record the correct information, but while we’d like to think the system works perfectly, there is far too much proof that it doesn’t. A contributing cause to the VA’s massive backlog is incorrect or incomplete data recorded in the C&P Exam reports.

This causes the cases to be returned, after months of waiting in line, for another C&P Exam to be conducted to provide the missing/proper information. If you come properly prepared to your first C&P Exam, you can help make sure this doesn’t happen to your case.  

Even though it shouldn't be, make it your job to ensure that the C&P Exam physicians (1) have all the information they need and (2) perform the proper tests at the C&P Exam.

For example, supraventricular arrhythmia (a heart condition) is rated on how many episodes of arrhythmia are recorded every year. The type and quantity of medication, etc., doesn’t matter for rating. All the physician must record during the C&P Exam is the number of episodes that were properly documented during the past year. Extra evidence never hurts, but if the physician fails to record the necessary info, then the case will have to be sent back.

A C&P Exam does not need to be excessively long to get a proper rating. All that needs to happen at the C&P Exam is for the proper information to be recorded.  

Just be prepared and proactive, and your C&P Exam should go well.

:Source Military Made Easy*

Usaf9498, you mentioned that you drink like a fish.  I am meddling but maybe it is time to evaluate your drinking.  It can be an indicator of PTSD but it is not healthy.  Many of us have had to stop because we were out of control.

Just a thought.

1 minute ago, vetquest said:

Usaf9498, you mentioned that you drink like a fish.  I am meddling but maybe it is time to evaluate your drinking.  It can be an indicator of PTSD but it is not healthy.  Many of us have had to stop because we were out of control.

Just a thought.

You are not wrong and I am starting down the path of cutting way back and if that does not work, stopping altogether

• HadIt.com Elder

Usaf9498

What ever you do DO NOT over exaggerate your symptoms, they can (VA ) can figure that all out .

main thing for you to do is stay in therapy and learn the coping tools that  help out to calm our anxiety /Anger down....that PTSD causes us.

Your spouse can write a lay statement to the fact that she notice your behavior can be violent at times  and how you sleep /night mares,/sweats  the isolation and things that pertain to PTSD.

She can start off the letter by saying''I am not a Medical Dr, However  I am this veterans wife of **** years  and I know this Veterans behavior more than anyone .......> and go on with her letter  but try to keep the letter short as possible  the raters do not like to read a four or 5  page assay   sort-of-speak'' get to the point quick.