VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DEBT and the 100% P/T Veteran

Rate this question

stlsross

Question

I have been trying to find out why the VA doesn't have a loan program that would assist a 100% P/T veteran in eliminating debt. Since most of us get into debt because we can't hold a job because of our disabilities, it would be nice if the VA started a program that would assist us. It's crazy that they have a home loan program, a loan guarantee department, and a debt management center, but won't do anything to guarantee that the veterans have the proper FICO score to utilize the program. I think something should be done for all veterans to make sure they can get into a permanent housing situation, but at least with the 100% P/T veterans they know that they can get the loan payment back because they can just garnish a portion of their monthly payments. 

While I was in school under the chapter 31 program, my counselor was able to submit a request for me to have a portion of my monthly disability payment advanced to me, because of financial hardship,  and then it was repaid by them reducing my monthly payments by a few dollars until it was paid back. I think this program should be extended to the rest of the veterans and at least the permanent and totally disabled veterans so that they can eliminate their debt, increase their FICO scores and finally purchase a permanent home. Another idea would be to get rid of the FICO score requirement altogether, for veterans. Since the loans are guaranteed by the federal government , the bank doesn't stand to loose any money in the first place. Besides I know a lot of people that have bad credit, but always pay their rent. No matter how tight money gets the only way we don't pay where we lay, is when we just don't have the money. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of the benefits afforded me because I served my country, but the benefits that would mean the most would be having a permanent roof over my head and debt relief. The best benefit would be a law stating that all veterans are tax and interest exempt. 

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, stlsross said:

The best benefit would be a law stating that all veterans are tax and interest exempt. 

Talk to your state veterans board or local tax office. If you own a home you may get a tax break on it. Here in Texas,  all disabled veterans get a property tax break , how much  depends on their rating. Most states give disabled veterans some tax breaks. The Federal government may give you an income tax break if your taxable income is low.   Few states like Oklahoma even wavier sales taxes for 100% disable veteran.  No one is going to give you interest exemption,  its very likely if your so far in debt and don't want to pay added interest you will have to work with a credit repair service or go bankrupt.   Yesterday, the President signed an executive order forgiving the federal college debt of all permanently disabled veterans, but that is likely a one time deal.