VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Use a company or Muddle through the process

Rate this question

dfellows_5

Question

I have been retired from Navy since 2004 and at that time I only applied for Sleep Apnea (why not the rest? I really do not know. Dumb I guess! LOL) which I have had for over 25 years on a CPAP. I was rated as 50% but now that I have gotten older I know there is stuff in my Medical record that will cover some of my current problems so I want to file for some more items but things have sure changed in the process. I have a shipmate that told me about Vet Comp and Pen Medical Consulting LLC  and VA Claims Insider which I think work off a percent of your increase for payment. I have also looked at Veterans Law Blog where I can get info, books, videos and forum help to do it myself and am wondering about them. My question is does anyone have any experience dealing with the first 2 and is it worth it to use them? Or are they just a sham. I know to apply for VA costs nothing but what I would be paying them for is their background of supposedly knowing the process in and out which would make things a whole lot easier at this point in my life. I would be trying to put in for Degenerative Arthritis of spine, neck and back (where I have a stimulator implanted) and of the joints (now have had total knee replacement on one leg and will soon be looking at the other) Just had both shoulder Rotor cuffs scrapped and new metal in them, Deviated septum, GERD/Reflux/IBS which continues to cause problems and may be turning into Barrett's disease, 6 Stints in my artery at the heart, COPD (loads of chemicals during aircraft paint and repair) tinnitus and several other secondary problems. Also the last 3-4 years been dealing with depression/Non combat PTSD possibly from working with victims (both live and dead) over 20 years as volunteer firefighter in the military community. So yeah a lot going on. Again just wanted any input from you folks who have been there/done that with VA Claims and the VA people in general which route would be best to go. with one of the 2 companies that has staff? with PA's and such or suck it up and use the info on Veterans Law blog and muddle my way through the process. Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing what others have to say or have done. Have a Fine Navy Day!

David

6 answers to this question

Generally, I dont recommend paying someone to "apply" for benefits.  Its a whole different ballgame when it comes to appealing.  

To apply, you dont need to know a lot, even a below par VSO can help you fill out the forms.  

• HadIt.com Elder

You should get a copy of your c-file and medical records to see what you have for evidence. Seems like you have more than your share of medical issues going on and maybe time is working against you. You have to realize that if you submit claims for several of these disabilities, some or even most will come back denied. So the next round would be to appeal with good medical evidence which takes more time. So part of your decision process is deciding if are you willing to use up some of those months on the hamster wheel, or are you willing to get assistance  up front at a cost, expecting the process will be shorter (for at least some.?) I don't know if this kind of situation applies to you, but if it does the it is something to consider.

I do not believe any of the companies that help you apply for a percentage before you go to the BVA could speed up your case.  I doubt even an NOVA lawyer could do that.  The VA works at the VA's own time and it takes a long while for some cases to get through the system.  If you do need to go to the BVA and need a lawyer these companies most likely would only complicate your claim.  Get a VSO and work through him/her to get your case filed.  

You need three things to succeed in a VA case.  A marker in your medical records that the disability can be attributed to military service.  Medical evidence that shows that the condition is chronic.  A nexus that shows that the current condition is connected to the marker in service.  The VA will help you to do this but it may not help you much.  If you are denied and need to go to the BVA I would then hire a NOVA accredited lawyer.

10 hours ago, dfellows_5 said:

Or are they just a sham. I

Welcome,

As an old old squid I get it.

As for them being a sham, that is a strong word. They are businesses. nothing more. Unlike Chris Attig at the Veterans Law Blog, which i am a member of, they are out to make money.

Bronco, GB and Vetquests advice is accurate but you ultimately must decide if the cost is worth it too you. Remember with those paid folks the costs of their pet examiners is tacked onto your bill. Their value is that they have those folks on a leash and front their fees and costs. I suspect, but don't know, that they pad that bill when they tack it to your debt to them.

Unless you are on the verge of death and your spouse/heirs are too distraught to dig into the fight, then In my opinion, I would suggest doing the initial filings yourself. Use the VLB training or even consider the NVLSP Basic Training Course online. It is 150 upfront but it teaches you how to be an advocate...and you need an advocate and the best one is you.

https://nvlspbasictrainingcourse.com/product/online-basic-training-course/

It was created in partnership with Lexis-Nexis

And come here to ask direct and detailed questions.

Thanks for the replies and ideas folks. As my Grandma used to say "If the Lord willing and the creek don't rise" I have plenty of time left on this earth to enjoy my Grand kids and  and work on the disability claims and other things I have going on I hope! (unfortunately we never know when it's time) Just to clarify I did not mean to say/imply any of these companies are shams or money sharks even though I stated "Or are they just a sham" . I guess I speak/write without thinking some times! They are very useful in some cases and in some cases they are a godsend. I was mainly just trying to find out for myself (or to convince myself) if it would be better to use them or just make a go with myself and a VSO. The problem is the time required to do all the leg work that I read needs to be done these days. At this point and time in my life I have more money than time, so to speak. NOT THAT I'M RICH, LOL. I just have so much going on from sunup to sundown But I /my family do make it month to month so I kind of looked at one of these companies as the magical unicorn (hand it over to them and let them do all the leg work, pay them ) then Boom! my claims are approved! I know it's a fairy tale but sometimes it's too easy to fall into this way of thinking. As I think on it I know deep down that no matter which route I take, it's going to take time and patience. I did talk to one company on the phone and explained listed most of the stuff medically wrong with me now and some of what is in my service medical record to support it as a primary. They asked some deep questions and sent me some forms to fill out on mental/PTSD experience only and did not say much about the other stuff yet. I think they want to try for the non-combat PTSD first since it has the chance for the biggest increase in my disability compensation which in turn will make them the most money. To me I think I should go for mental/PTSD also, but I should also go for the items in my medical record that have worsened over time and I should have put in for on my original claim (a lot of 10% items). Well I am going to discuss this info over with my wife and grown son this weekend and make a decision by Monday. I want to again thank you folks for your input it helps a lot and no matter which way I go I am sure I will be back here to ask more questions and hopefully after I learn more to answer questions for others. I guess now that I have decided to become a member here I need to go back up and formally introduce myself. Which I should have done to begin with! Again I can not thank you enough for your responses and look forward to talking to you folks down the line. Have a Fine (Insert your service) Day! 😀

David

8 hours ago, dfellows5 said:

Just to clarify I did not mean to say/imply any of these companies are shams or money sharks even though I stated "Or are they just a sham"

just to clarify my point, SOME of them are SHAMS... but most are businesses.

In fact Chris Attig runs a business, a Law Office. I should have been more clear about that. He just actually works for veterans instead of just lining his pockets. He has experts in his rolodex too.

magical unicorn

bury that silly idea fast!!! before sun down.. make sure the head and tail are in separate holes or they grow back together.......wait that is diamond back rattle snakes....yeah I am from the south.

think they want to try for the non-combat PTSD first since it has the chance for the biggest increase in my disability compensation which in turn will make them the most money. To me I think I should go for mental/PTSD also, but I should also go for the items in my medical record that have worsened over time and I should have put in for on my original claim (a lot of 10% items)

IMO you can and should do most of the low level grunt work yourself. I think I gave you the link to the NLSVP training...it is a better use of money for that 150 bucks than just handing paper pushers a chunk of your back pay.

Hold out the paid legal help until you get to the BVA or higher. Just my OPINION.

I am sure I will be back here to ask more questions and hopefully after I learn more to answer questions for others

you are welcome here, as is your wife and son. we are here to support each other, and if they are working to support your claims then in my opinion they should be asking questions too.