VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD 100% Rating

Rate this question

eddie sims

Question

3 answers to this question

Many of us have experience.  My first question is, "are you working full time?"

If you work full time, its gonna be tough to get 100 percent..real tough.  Remember, VA compensation is to pay you for "loss" of your ability to earn an income.  

Ok, lets say you are not working.  I dont want to answer your questions for you, but it will save time if I assume you are not working.  

File for an increase and order a copy of your cfile, if you dont have access to VBMS via a VSO or attorney.  (Or consider enlisting the services of a representative that does have access to VBMS.)  

Write down the symptoms you need for the next higher rating.  In the instance of PTSD, the critieria for mental health disorders in the 100 percent category is symptoms of "total occupational and social impairment".  The criteria then lists some "examples" of such an impairment.  Its my opinion the regulations examples are to "throw you off".  (Stuff like not remembering your own name).  Yea, you might be one of those guys who cant remember his own name, but you managed to sign in under your handle at hadit..so I guess you remember your name.

YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE EVERY SYMPTOM IN THE CRITERIA TO GE T BENEFITS.  Again, the example of not remembering your name.  You dont have to have forgotten your name to get 100 percent benefits.  

Instead, check your cfile for documentation that you:

1.  Are not working.

2.  Are not working due to SC difficulties, such as PTSD.  If you have documentation of some "anti social" behaviour in your file, that will help you get benefits.  Example:  You get mad at your boss, storm out, throw a fit and slam doors on the way out.  

Examples like this are demonstrting a boss may not want to have you around.  Now, dont make stuff up like this, ever.  If it happens, then make sure its documented, but dont ever try to fake stuff, as these are the things "reductions" in the future are made of, even if you do get your benefits.  

What you dont want to do is "not share" those bad incidents with your doc.  If you got arrested for a fight with your spouse, tell the doc and let him document it.  Dont be suprised you dont get your increase if you dont want to talk to the doc about your fight with your spouse, and getting hauled off by the police.  

If you want VA benefits, you have to open up to your doc.  

Edited by broncovet

9 hours ago, eddie sims said:

I am 70% disabled for PTSD and 50% disabled for migraines.

What bronco said is good standard advice, do that for every claim and every condition.

take note that as said you don't have to have every condition listed for each rating. It is a combination effect and there are analogous conditions/outcomes that can be used.

On the issue of work.

Do you work because you financially have too? have you lost/changed jobs frequently with periods of no work in between? were those situations caused by your conditions? If any of that is true, get your Social Security Records and lay statements saying you left/lost your job because of your conditions, to include in your claim.

9 hours ago, eddie sims said:

I am a veteran in the Air Force.

I am not picking on you but is this statement just worded wrong? you cannot be on active duty and be a compensated veteran.

------------

I will off a different track.

Do you have episodes of dizziness/vertigo? There is a form of Vertigo related to migraines that occurs with or without a full blown migraine event.

If you do have vertigo/dizziness do you also have tinnitus (usually but not always at 10%, and Hearing loss, even rated at 0%)?

If you have all three then you can be rated for Meniere's and if you walk funny, like a drunk or drift all over  the place, you should get 100% for Meniere's.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Eddie. Good advise from Bronc and Geeky. To go along with their theme, this is what I tell veterans looking for an increase. First, get a copy of your claim file (C-file). It can have stuff in there that is really supportive of conditions that you may have. Next, write down ALL the things or symptoms that you have. It would help if you had some one that would be objective to bounce things off of, like a wife or real close friend. Then start your research. Go to http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/vadisabilityrating.html and see that some of those problem are, say like Geeky suggested as an example, hearing. Do you have any of those symptoms now on your list? If you do, then you check your c-file and see what it says about your hearing. You may have a hearing test results taken at boot camp; you may have one at discharge physical. If you do, compare is there a worsening of the hearing? If you do, you have 2 out of the 3 things you need for a claim. A service connected injury (degrade of your hearing), and a hearing disability now. The 3d thing, is called the nexus, that is, how can you connect the two? If you had a MOS that required you to be around noises, that would work. Or, if you can document an event or accident where you were exposed to a very loud noise, that could work. You have the 3 elements; we call it the Caluza Triangle. You do this type of research for every injury or disability on your list. Ok so it is a lot of work. My father told me that life isn't fair, it ain't easy, and there isn't a Santa Clause out there that is going to give you what you want. If you want something, get off your but and make it happen. So...