VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Update: got my final determination

Rate this question

Ronc531

Question

Finally received my final determination. 

I was rated at 10% for 40 years and had 11 knee surgeries. finally had my rt knee replaced last year. I got with someone to help me file for VA benefits for other issues besides the rt knee that have arised from my knee problems and just received my letter of determination.

A knee replacement gives you 13 months of 100% disability payments. Since it went long to determine my case i have received 100% for 14 months now. a knee replacement rating after the surgery is 30% to 60% depending on how the surgery goes. I had received a determination for some of the other claims I had made and was awarded 20% + 20% + 10%. 

Since my replacement didn't go well, I am in worse pain then before my surgery. I have been awarded 60%, the highest you can get and 3 more months more of 100% to decide if I want to appeal their decision. I don't really understand this since I received the highest rating I can get and have no reason to appeal. I feel very grateful for the decision and how the VA has handled my case. 

With the knee decision i just received and the other awards I am now at 90% total and cannot believe how lucky I have been! It's not just the monthly payment but all of my medical is now taken care of by the VA and because I am over 50% disabled the state i live in gives me a 50% discount on my property taxes that is worth over $3,000 a year. I have been able to have thousands of dollars in dental work taken care of that I wasn't able to afford.

I am very grateful for everything I have received this is going to make my wife's and my life so much better. this has come at a great time. My wife just found out that see has to have eye surgery and it will cost us thousands of dollars out of pocket. 

I have dealt with the VA in past years and always received a run around but this time they seem so different than in past years.

Thank you all for your help in the past year and hope that everyone has the luck with the VA I have had this last year.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ronc531, If I can bore you, just a little more advise. First of all, DO NOT feel like somehow you are responsible for your hard work and perseverance actually doing good.The VA's budget is $220 Billion; you are not responsible for their inefficiencies, how they prioritize, or anything else. Yes many veterans need to be taken care off, but you can only do what you can do, which help yourself. I also invite you to join us and continue contributing to Hadit. If you read and learn, you may also be able to help you and you family with additional disability benefits. As you continue, you will also be able to help others by sharing what you have learned. So go after it, share with us, and help us along too. Again, congrats!

52 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Ronc531, If I can bore you, just a little more advise. First of all, DO NOT feel like somehow you are responsible for your hard work and perseverance actually doing good.The VA's budget is $220 Billion; you are not responsible for their inefficiencies, how they prioritize, or anything else. Yes many veterans need to be taken care off, but you can only do what you can do, which help yourself. I also invite you to join us and continue contributing to Hadit. If you read and learn, you may also be able to help you and you family with additional disability benefits. As you continue, you will also be able to help others by sharing what you have learned. So go after it, share with us, and help us along too. Again, congrats!

Thank you, I will see if I can help. I have learned a lot this last year about the VA and things you need to know. most of it I found out the hard way. I would love to be able to help however I can, it can be really confusing sometimes!