VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I have sleep apnea

Rate this question

Ronc531

Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup. But you probably would like a little more info. You should look up sleep apnea disability questionnaire (DBQ 21-0960L-2). It will tell you the different types and signs or symptoms. You need to compare that with diagnostic code 6847 and it will tell you the several rating for the condition. This is a tough one to get awarded, because it can mean a 50% rating., and if you don't know it already, the VA doesn't like to hand out big-time ratins. Do you use a CPAP machine; if yes, you need a dr. to say you "must" use it in a written diagnosis. You need a copy of your sleep study. It is much better to have been prescribed thru the VA rather that a private doc, but if that is your situation, I would spring for an IMO from your doc describing your medical situation. Were you diagnosed in the service for sleep apnea? Need copies of your med records ,STR's. If not in your records, you need a connection between in-service and your current condition. If you were under VA care for say PTSD, there are medical studies that show that certain medicines can cause "over weight" or "obese" conditions, and that can cause OSA. Need that as part of the doc's imo. You can get the rating, but it is going to take effort.

12 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Yup. But you probably would like a little more info. You should look up sleep apnea disability questionnaire (DBQ 21-0960L-2). It will tell you the different types and signs or symptoms. You need to compare that with diagnostic code 6847 and it will tell you the several rating for the condition. This is a tough one to get awarded, because it can mean a 50% rating., and if you don't know it already, the VA doesn't like to hand out big-time ratins. Do you use a CPAP machine; if yes, you need a dr. to say you "must" use it in a written diagnosis. You need a copy of your sleep study. It is much better to have been prescribed thru the VA rather that a private doc, but if that is your situation, I would spring for an IMO from your doc describing your medical situation. Were you diagnosed in the service for sleep apnea? Need copies of your med records ,STR's. If not in your records, you need a connection between in-service and your current condition. If you were under VA care for say PTSD, there are medical studies that show that certain medicines can cause "over weight" or "obese" conditions, and that can cause OSA. Need that as part of the doc's imo. You can get the rating, but it is going to take effort.

Thank you for the information.

Yes I do have sleep apnea now and have been using a cpap for the last 20 years. I have had 2 sleep studies done in the span of 20 years. They say I stop breathing over 800 times a night. I consider it service related because I am obese and I am obese because of my service related rt knee not allowing me to walk or workout. 

I have just been rated at 90% of which i received a 60% for my rt knee replacement. I think from what I have read through the VA I would be at least 50%. Not sure it would change anything as far as my rating, it seems really  hard once you hit 90% to get up to 95% to be rated at 100%

23 hours ago, Ronc531 said:

I am obese

https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/veteran-benefits/2019/04/05/obesity-not-service-connected-disability-va.html

It is unlikely the va will rate your obesity.