Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

fundraising.jpegHadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
JaeT.21

They said no to my increase, but gave me a decrease

Question

Welp, Just found out they closed my claim. Surprise surprise, nothing changed EXCEPT they reduced my GERD from 60% down to 10%! WHY and What the?! So apparently that random C&P without my knowledge played a significant part.

So my questions are the following:

1. Should I reopen my claims or file an appeal?

2. How do I go about getting ALL of my C&P claim notes, especially whatever was said from this C&P without my knowledge?

3. Should I even attempt to ask for the much qualified for increase on other areas of my body, that have gotten worse, or fight this last round of let downs?

I try to explain to everyone when you retire or get out and become a veteran, your own company (the VA) treat you like used tissue. Nobody has any use for used tissue...tossed to the side.

If the VA used the ACE procedures to rate your gerd  you will need to get a copy of the examination and review it.  Once you do that you will need to prove the examination was not complete.  If you have medical evidence outside the VA then you can claim the ACE did not consider all of the available evidence., because an ACE  only includes review of the VA medical records. 

Either way you have to attack the examination as inconclusive , you should appeal the decision to preserve the effective date.

ALSO ADDED: its very usual for the va to lower a rating based on one C/P exam alone,  that itself is a reason to appeal, its been my understanding that the va cannot use one review for downgrading  a rating.

ACE Directive.pdf ACE News Release.docx

Edited by Richard1954
see above
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Richard1954 said:

If the VA used the ACE procedures to rate your gerd  you will need to get a copy of the examination and review it.  Once you do that you will need to prove the examination was not complete.  If you have medical evidence outside the VA then you can claim the ACE did not consider all of the available evidence., because an ACE  only includes review of the VA medical records. 

Either way you have to attack the examination as inconclusive , you should appeal the decision to preserve the effective date.

ALSO ADDED: its very usual for the va to lower a rating based on one C/P exam alone,  that itself is a reason to appeal, its been my understanding that the va cannot use one review for downgrading  a rating.

ACE Directive.pdf 55.37 kB · 3 downloads ACE News Release.docx 113.8 kB · 1 download

Yeah when I went to the VA clinic a week after I found out about the 'ace' c&p exam, they couldn't see it I. My files. The only thing they saw was my C&P exam from last year. 

This is the second time I've filed for an increase and some random VA C&P exam for something I wasn't claiming happened and they decreased my rating. Last time was me finally getting the best evidence to prove my 18 years of neck/nerve/hand damage. Coincidentally I got an appointment for a C&P for my plantar fasciitis. Next thing you know my 30% went to 10% as my neck and hand went up. Thus I stayed at 94% instead of going over to 96% aka 100%. Now they dropped me down to 87%. Still 90% but I know my migraines warrant more than 0% and that's what the increase was for. That and trying to servicE connect my sleep apnea. I guess statement in support of claim and a visit about my sleeping lack thereof, slightly over  year after I retired don't count....

St. Pete RO is sooo dirty!!

• Haha 1

I would get a copy of all those exams,  file for any another increases and any other new conditions you haven't filed for in the past.  Also,  were any of those conditions you were proposed a reduction for "protected" because they were over a certain number of years old, in that, they need to show marked improvement over time?  The St. Pete RO pulled this on me, when I filed for A&A and had the nerve to go by the CP exam given by a quack GP contracted who spent less than 5 minutes with me for two conditions!! after my neuro filled out the paperwork for A&A,  I freaked.  It would have dropped my rating below 70% losing my IU PT, with kids in college using Chapter 35.  I was LIVID.  I had held that rating for 10years and it was documented very thoroughly in my VA records, anyway I said screw that and filed for every single thing I have never filed for before, I went from 70% IU PT to 100% schedular with SMCs after a year of so much stress and grief.  I was sent an actual apology but only because I raised hell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@seminoles is correct. Reducing a rating is a very specific process and must be followed.

There are specific timing issues with a reduction in rating and you need to follow them to avoid problems.

The other questions are on point

are/were any of your ratings in place for more than 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

are you over 55?

did you receive a letter "proposing" a reduction in rating? did it include your options to appeal that reduction?

You need to file for a new C-File immediately.

You need to start gathering evidence for your appeal

As for the notes. you will have to include in your C-file request a specific demand for that notes. They may try to avoid doing that, and if they do that is more evidence in your appeal. Make this request ASAP.

you NEED to challenge the Dr's credentials in your appeal. This preserves that challenge for future potential legal claims in higher courts and MUST be raised at the first possible moment which is your first appeal. Make no mistake, this is not hyperbole. You legally lose the right to raise that issue later if you don't claim it NOW.

What you are experiencing is the underlying reasoning over why VSO's are known to try and discourage vets from filing appeals or increases once they have been rated. Their famous don't rock the boat statements.

When you apply for anything, you open your entire claims file for review, even if you are 100% P&T.

This new review could, in theory, uncover older errors is granting awards. The application of this and our (the vets) perception is that this is punitive on the part of the VA.

There is a rule in the VA Manuals, and I don't know it off the top of my head, that amounts to saying that if one rating is reduced, but others are increased and the net value is the same amount of pay/rating to the veteran then no actual harm is incurred. That is false and needs to be challenged on grounds of it being a presumption not a  reality. Our ratings are cumulative in nature and conditions tend to get worse with age not better. 

There is even a possible Constitutional Property Right claim to your existing rating and future rating potential. Even though some might see this as a stretch, it is one I would make in a case of reduction of rating in conjunction with your other paths of attack. IMO raising at the lowest possible level is just another opportunity for the VA to make more errors which the board or higher courts would have to address on further appeal.

read these

https://www.bva.va.gov/docs/VLR_VOL3/4-DeutschAndBurriesci-DueProcessInTheWakePages220-262.pdf

https://www.veteranslawblog.org/grading-the-bva-on-constitutional-due-process/

There is a case that modifies the application of Due Process to Veterans. I don't remember if it is Cushman or one after Cushman. But it is effect says that Vets do have a Property Right to their SC but it only attaches after the SC has been granted. The first case just said we had a blanket Property Right to SC which implied that we had that right even before SC was granted.

Keep us informed and post the letters or orders they issue so we can help where possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Endgame Thor
      I have found this forum today searching desperately for answers and help, and I'm hoping that some can be found here. I have been working with a representative from the American Legion to assist me in preparing and filing a service connection claim. We started last May (an intent to file was sent on May 17, 2019), and this week of all weeks I finally received a series of letters from the VA Intake office saying my claim was being worked on and that I would be getting a call from a local doctor to schedule my C&P exam. The rep I have been working with told me to call him (or see him at his office) when I got this information, but his office is closed for another week at least (automated voicemail and email responses say through Apr 6) and I am very concerned about what is happening. The rep had mentioned the name of a local physician as who most everyone he has worked with in the past was sent to, but I just this morning got a call from Logistics Health Incorporated and the reviews I found for them online are varied from awful experiences to good ones. I have no way to contact the one person who has been helping me navigate this process and I am very worried on how to proceed. My primary claim is Anxiety/Panic Disorder (it has become so severe that I have been put on ADA Medical Leave from my part time job and my university professors/staff are working with me through their version of a disability office to provide accommodations to help me try to finish this term). I have been on that ADA Leave since Nov 17, 2019 and it is currently slated to last until May 17, 2020. Due to the nature of my primary issue, I have been unable to sleep recently trying to figure out what to do as I can not access the resource I had come to rely on over the last nearly one year. I have several claims being made other than just the Anxiety/Panic Disorder and can elaborate if someone needs that information to help, but frankly I'm terrified to call this large impersonal corporation to schedule a C&P when I had been expecting to work with a local physician.

EDIT: I just received a Voicemail from LHI, and they have already scheduled an appointment for me for Mon 4/13. One of the primary issues of my Anxiety/Panic Disorder is that I am unable to travel long distances (anything out of my own city, and even long distance within town is problematic even with medication). In light of this, we had submitted along with our filings a request to have an appointment scheduled within my own city, but the appointment was made for me at an office in a city more than 30 minutes away, a trip I can not make. 
    • By Chalman
      I’m currently rated at 50% for ptsd and anxiety. This C&P exam is for a ratings increase, insomnia, drug abuse disorder, and IU
      1. Diagnosis
      a. Does the veteran now have or has he ever been diagnosed with a mental disorder?
      [x]yes
      icd code: f43.8
      if the the veteran currently has one or more mental disorders that conform to dsm-5 criteria, provide all diagnoses:
      #1 other specified trauma and stressor related disorder. Icd code f43.8
      #2 cannabis use disorder, moderate icd code f12.12
      2. differentiation of symptoms
      a. Does the veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?
      [x]yes
      b. Is it possible to differentiate what symptoms are attributable to each diagnosis?
      [x]no
      Which of the following best summarizes the veterans level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses?
      [x] occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity 
      b. For the indicated occupational and social impairment, is it possible to differentiate which impairment is caused by each mental disorder?
      [x]no
      3. symptoms
      For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the veteran’s diagnosis:
      [x] anxiety
      [x]panic attacks more than once a week
      [x]chronic sleep impairment 
      [x]difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships 
      [x]Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting 
      There is much more to the file I left out somethings that I didn’t think were as important in order to save time. If needed I can answer questions or enter whatever else is needed. I know the VA doesn’t think like we do and any opinions given are just that but would still be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance for any and all reply’s
    • By arizonavet85
      I did lot of research for timelines while waiting for my hearing and for what to expect after my hearing. I was legacy appeals and chose not to RAMP in Feb 2019. I hope this does help any other veteran wanting to know the process and hopefully the timeline helps. This is my experience for appeal with the VA and as always every case is unique and different. Im willing to follow up with any questions people might have. Tried to get lawyers involved but they said they wouldn’t touch my case (all the major ones you would find on google). So I just kept pushing along using the DAV for insight to the RO when needed or to file correspondence for the case.
      You know the rating you deserve!, the BVA law judge literally said VA erred and this should have been granted in 2014 but the C &P examiner failed to do their job accurately in my July 2014 exam. My follow up C & P exam conducted in 2017 warranted a 70% rating and the examiner noted everything correctly (however since the case was on appeal RO could not use the evidence to rate me at that time the exam was completed).  Best Advice I can give is KNOW YOUR CASE! Know one knows your case like you and when talking to the judge, it helped I knew what the criteria was so I could talk to those points. File everything on-time, accurately, and with a way to show it was given to the VA. Find a hobby because worrying, over planning, and checking ebennies 20 times a day will drive you crazy. Don’t let your claim fall through the cracks but know that every day you worry, you drain yourself! Finally, NEVER GIVE UP!!!
      May 2014 Filed a claim for increase
      July 2014 C&P Exam at the VA
      October 2014 Claimed Denied
      October 2014 Filed for Decision Review Official to review case (legacy appeals)
      August 2015 DRO Denied increase
      August 2015 Filed NOD
      October 2015 Filed Form 9
      December 2016 Case sent to BVA
      August 2017 C & P exam scheduled (non-static condition; this was the date of my revaluation)
      December 2019 BVA Hearing at RO
      January 30, 2020 Called WH hotline (not sure it did anything however I saw traction once I did)
      Feb 10, 2020 Case was given to judge and expedited due to homelessness
      March 10, 2020 Decision Made (Grant specific rating and effective date since it was an increase appeal)
      March 17, 2020 Ebennies was updated reflecting new rating
      TBA: waiting backpay but my rating has been reflected for April indefinitely
    • By 19k4life
      Hello all,
      I've been a big fan of this site and would like to thank all for the great insights pertaining to all.
      My questions follows..
      I filed a NOD in receipt on July 30th 2018 as va.gov showed. It was for a DRO review. I filed for 3 contentions for increase and TDIU. Which always shows as 2 different claims on VA.GOV site.
      My current rating before NOD was at 90%. For total of 12 rated issues.
      Recently this week showed up on VA.gov and ebenefits as granted 100 TDIU but on ebene I did the math..
      50%, 10%x5, 20%x4, 30%x2.. This should add up to 95% which makes it 100 schedular so I thought... Below are what I saw from ebene. I'm just confused coz if 100 by schedular the TDIU should be moot.. Also, my disability on ebene shows 100 disabled. I want to have 100 schedular. Haven't received the brown envelope yet with decision letter. No retro pay yet.
      I'm bad at pasting all info from ebene on this post...
      Ebene benefit summary breaks down with checks:
      1. You have one or more serv related disabilities. YES
      2. Your combined serv connected disabilities are 100%.
      3. Your current monthly award is:  effective date of last change amount and date.. $4158.32 / 12/01/2019.
      4. You are being paid at 100% due to your unemployability due to your service disability. YES
      5. You are considered t&p so let due to your serv connection. Effective dates of your T&P disability dates are 10/07/2017.
      6. You are being paid SMC due to your service type severity..etc... YES
      Everything here looks like tdiu 100 but my total math on my ebene shows 95 which us 100. My retro is another thing..if schedular..it seems as since my increase on the NOD was effective on 11/27/2019 that made me 100 by va math and the TDIU stated above was for 10/07/2017 effective.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.

• By JaeT.21
      I have 4 C&P exams this Friday. All for increases. (Migraine, PTSD/depression/anxiety/chronic pain/agoraphobia, bilateral foot pain and knee pain increase [including VA issued knee brace and civilian issued AFO foot brace]).
      Should I have my wife ad adult kids who both witness and suffer from my mood swings, depression, anxiety and antisocial like living on a daily basis? They can also talk about my constant leg pain and migraines.
      I also want my supervisor to do one regarding my migraines that have me leaving work early, alot. But that is a touchy subject, because I don't want me asking him to affect my employment.  Also I hide a lot from them, to keep my job, like  just suffer with headaches and migraines at work. Or fake my way through the day, pretending to want to be around people. 

• Ads

• Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines