VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally made it to 100%

Rate this topic

paulstrgn

I finally made it to the 100% club, its not P&T but at least it is 100%. The VA got the effective date wrong for the SA and hypertension. They made the effective date 7/2/2019 instead of 7/25/2015. I found this out from looking at eBenefits that it went to 100%.

I am also confused on how they rated my BP at 0%, apparently they used past hypertension readings from where I have been seen at Ft. Eustis (the dates were weeks to months apart for these readings). I thought they would have scheduled me to have them taken but I guess not, I need to research this.

When the BVA awarded my neuropathy rating the RO did not do another C&P, they rated if off of my last exam, which was seven years prior.  Check to see if this is what they did to you.  It looks like you now have a earlier effective date appeal, good luck.

Congratulations Paul.

Thanks Vetquest.

The RO I am assuming did not read the BVA decision, it clearly states this appeal is based on the March 2016 denial yet the RO used the date of the BVA decision. Needless to say I will file a higher level review for an EED for both SA and BP, I want the 7/25/2015 date. Plus needless to say we are talking a large back pay the VA owes me.

From what I have been told they used the multiple BP readings (over a 12 month period) I had at Ft. Eustis.

1 hour ago, paulstrgn said:

Thanks Vetquest.

The RO I am assuming did not read the BVA decision, it clearly states this appeal is based on the March 2016 denial yet the RO used the date of the BVA decision. Needless to say I will file a higher level review for an EED for both SA and BP, I want the 7/25/2015 date. Plus needless to say we are talking a large back pay the VA owes me.

From what I have been told they used the multiple BP readings (over a 12 month period) I had at Ft. Eustis.

Regardless of the BP readings they used to grant service connection, if you take HBP medication to combat diastolic readings of 100+ file a supplemental appeal to get your 10%.  I was initially awarded 0% but had to take additional meds (Lisinopril in addition to amlodipine) to stay below 100+ and was granted 10% after quoting the CFR.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mrpdpo, you have my interest. All I find is if you are below 90, because the meds keep it under control, you don't get even 0%. If you can't show readings from prior that are over 90, how do you get a hypertension disability? Do you have the CFR that calls it out? Second question; did they award 0% just because you have been taking meds from the VA?

4 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Mrpdpo, you have my interest. All I find is if you are below 90, because the meds keep it under control, you don't get even 0%. If you can't show readings from prior that are over 90, how do you get a hypertension disability? Do you have the CFR that calls it out? Second question; did they award 0% just because you have been taking meds from the VA?

Pasting this from my phone but 10% criteria is:

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control

I had 3 elevated BP readings from my service records (all systolic 155+, no diastolic above 95) and had my private doctor fill out a DBQ to show my current readings (several readings over 100+ diastolic). The VA awarded me 0% based on that info.

While waiting for my initial decision on that, I had to go back to my doctor because amlodipine alone stopped working to bring my HBP down and she prescribed me Lisinopril to take in addition.  I filed a supplemental claim with a statement in support of claim stating that I required additional medication to stay below 100 Diastolic with the CFR quoted and included my last doctor's visit where it had my reading from that day and new prescription.  Seemed to be enough to get 10%.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use