VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD secondary question.

Rate this question

KC3

Question

Hello, Please bear with me for I don't want to confuse anyone. I usually do but can't help it. 

I was recently rated for PTSD which I filed for in May of this year with a July decision. 

I have a claim for migraines and sleep apnea in since 2014 and have been denied twice. My neurologist, pulmonologist and ENT doctor all believe my issues were caused by a fall I took of 6' in which I jolted my head plus hit my face and nose area AND  now also from my PTSD.      The only proof I have of fall are 3 buddy letter, one being from the corpsman who responded.  

Should PTSD be listed as a contributor in any Independent Medical Opinion/Nexus letter for migraines or SA at this point? PTSD was a recent rating and I've been fighting for the other 2 issues for 5 years on the basis of the fall and don't want to seem wishy washy with the BVA even though it was recommended that I include PTSD as a contributor.  

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Absolutely! Your bag of tricks just got a boost didn't it? Now you need medical opinion that agrees with that contention. Sleep apnea,OSA, is a biggie, could net you a rating of 50%. Have you had a sleep study? Does it show that a CPAP is necessary? If s-c, bingo, 50%. Your doc has to say it is absolutely necessary to use it. Get the med opinion and resubmit. Look up the Headaches  dbq and diagnostic code; I'm not sure how hard it is to make much higher levels than 10%. Go for it!

I would start a headache log, they can be found on the internet.  The headache log is the premium way to track and prove your headaches.  If your doctor does not list your headaches as prostrating with a definition of what prostrating is you are spitting in the wind.  The migraine DBQ is here:

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-0960c-8-are.pdf

8100 Migraine:

With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged             50

attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.........

With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an             30

average once a month over last several months................

With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2          10

months over last several months..............................

With less frequent attacks....................................       0

Thanks for the replies;

Yes I have had a sleep study with a CPAP necessity letter. My SMR says that I suffered from "acute migraine headaches due to stress "on my exit exam. 

My pulmonologist states in his letter that my deviated septum along with stress from service (as stated on exit exam)  are backed up with medical lit and more likely than not cause my sleep apnea.  I suppose this should say PTSD and not just stress. 

I have had these headaches 29 years and the neurologist I have been seeing this past year had me start keeping a log.

Also gave me Aimovig which seems to have cut 30% of my headaches. Still have 10 a month with 2 to 3 instead of 5 knocking me on my butt. 

You are lucky to start on Aimovig.  I spent 15 years on anti seizure medication as many others have before we had amovig.  Get your migraine log filed with the VA before you try to get rated again.

1 hour ago, vetquest said:

You are lucky to start on Aimovig.  I spent 15 years on anti seizure medication as many others have before we had amovig.  Get your migraine log filed with the VA before you try to get rated again.

I pray this Aimovig is the real deal. I've been given everything from verapomil, topamax and gabapentin.

I wish I had started a migraine log many years ago. I am going to submit the log with my appeal to the BVA.