HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

11%
    $175.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

Is Intent to File useless?

Question

Last week I spoke with my VSO about filing a direct claim for Acquired Hemolytic Anemia and my Hem/Onc doctor agreed to stating my exposure to toxic chemicals, primarily Benzene among others, was just as likely as not to have contributed to my PNH. I explained my doctor would be out of country for a week and that he would complete the DBQ and provide a rational explanation once he returns. The VSO stated, he would take care of filing a claim and doctors DBQ would be submitted once received. 

A few days later I get a correspondence from my VSO telling me an Intent to File form 21-0966 was submitted on my behalf, I checked VA.gov and see an intent to file for 7723, for Compensation (and an entry for Pension???) under review. Exactly one week later it shows as closed on eBenes and a package is sent. When I checked my disability list, 7723 appears but says Not Service Connected. Well of course the examiner would say that, they hadn’t received ANY supporting documentation supporting the claim yet. I had asked the VSO if I needed to upload a form 21-526 before the claim closed and he told me no, sit tight??? This doesn’t make sense, why file a 21-0966 if they are going to closed it within a week if they don’t yet have info to support it?... why not file a 256 and have 90 days to get you stuff together?

Then I see this on the Veterans Law Blog: Do Everything in Your Power to NEVER use VA Form 21-0966, apparently preserving your date is a joke, could have preserved the date with a 21-256 just as well, and it wouldn’t have been closed so quickly! Very disappointing!

They make a valid point and make me wonder is who side is my VSO on? I’ll wait and see what the package says, but if I don’t feel comfortable with how the VSO handle this (and the service .org is one of the big ones) what should I do now? File a 526 with supporting docs, file a notice of disagreement...I don’t want to screw this up any worse than it is.

Thanks for listening and any advise given.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Buck and Paul My ebenies also shows Active Intent to file, date received, expiration date, and status=active, and source = online. Since I just did this 2 weeks ago, it has to be still a good and

GBArmy, you would be kicked off of one site I know for such heresy. 🤬

Well, Vetquest, I guess I don't wanna be on that site then!

Be sure to check with the 1-800# if in doubt of what forms to file and send in??...if you file the wrong for they will kick it back and this puts a hault on your EED.

ITF''s are out , they go by your filing date only,  from what I understand   if you filed the 21 526 ez That should be your first filing date.

*Note ,as I understand this is for a first time claim and Not a NOD(Notice of Disagreement?

21-0996 is for

Intent To File A Claim For Compensation and/or Pension, or Survivors Pension and/or DIC

I been told they no longer honor these forms?

The 20-0966 is a request for

DECISION REVIEW REQUEST: HIGHER-LEVEL REVIEW

Remember if you choose the HLR  you can't add any new evidence later on if your denied.

As for as I know the 21 -0958 is the NOD Form for NOD (Notice of Disagreement ) after a denial   and line 8 is in question  so we can leave that blank. you have 1 year to file it after a denial.

Edited by Buck52
24 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

ITF''s are out , they go by your filing date only,  from what I understand   if you filed the 21 526 ez That should be your first filing date.

*Note ,as I understand this is for a first time claim and Not a NOD(Notice of Disagreement?

21-0996 is for

Intent To File A Claim For Compensation and/or Pension, or Survivors Pension and/or DIC

I been told they no longer honor these forms?

The 20-0966 is a request for

DECISION REVIEW REQUEST: HIGHER-LEVEL REVIEW

Remember if you choose the HLR  you can't add any new evidence later on if your denied.

Thanks Buck52,

you are correct, this was a new claim, where I will have a expert opinion hematologists confer it is just as likely as not a result of chronic benzene exposure. I probably don’t want to do a HLR (assuming this is the same as a notice of disagreement). So at this point, I would like to handle the claim I’m my on.... being the the ITF is closed and denied... can I file a 526ez on my own (opening a new claim). I have never had to deal with a denied claim before.

PNH is a serious disease, I require infusions every 14 days for life. The only cure is stem cell transplant (dangerous and not an option available to me - age) and hemolysis reeks havoc on the body. Biggest concern is thrombosis, damage to kidneys and other body parts due to compromised.

i do have other issues I was hesitant to file for, MST, I had VA treatment for this, dx as PTSD but since I have SC 70% MH disability already, I’m not sure I want to rehash all that MST crap. I have made progress accepting what happened but I still have significant trust issues I feel will never be resolved.

i appreciated your concern and advice and I wouldn’t hold anything against you or anyone else on this board, but I am well aware my decisions are my own. Any advice on how to pursue the 7723 at this point.

Thanks brother!

I submitted via ebennies 21-0966, ITF electronically, on Aug. 19th. I got a confirming hard letter from Janesville, Wi dated the same date. I think they are still using it.

I started an ITF on 5/19/2019 and it still shows in ebenefits. Now I am not sure if they will use it when I file a new claim, but it stills shows as an ITF.