VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC and need for Aid and Attendance

Rate this question

Fernando Godina

Question

I am a veteran living in Mexico and I have been here for the last 3 years.  I have been getting 100% for PTSD, plus (40% Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 30% Irritable Bowel Syndrome, 20% Fibromyalgia (Gulf War Syndrome)), 10% Tinnitus and Special Monthly Compensation (s) for Housebound for the last 2 years.  All of this compensation started at the same time.  I have been paying for home health care from a private doctor's office/Healthcare center here in Mexico for a about year now.  I also pay a houseman who has been living here with me for the last 2 years also and helps me with everything everyday.  He also does some of the things the nurses do when they are not here.  Well, my nephew is in the states and is a veteran also and he called me saying that maybe I was entitled to a higher category of Special Monthly Compensation consisting of Aid and Attendance.  Is this true?  This is my first time asking about this to anyone else.  My Veterans Service Organization can't give me a straight response and I feel I am getting the runaround.  Can someone please let me know about this and what step to take to possibly do this on my own since my VSO is not helping much.  Also, should I get a lawyer?  Please advise.  Thank you for your help.  

****ADDITIONALLY

I wanted to ask if the VA would accept the VA Form 21-2680 (exam for Aid and Attendance) from my Psychiatrist here in Mexico?  Forgot to ask please.  

FG

Edited by Fernando Godina
Additional question

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

It isn't hard to get Aid and Attendance,  Have your doctor complete the attached form, and submit the form to the VA. It may also be a good Idea for your doctor to write a statement concerning your needs. This is exactly what I did when I was awarded A&A .... good luck this isn't complicated or hard at all.... Keep in mind even when you submit the forms the VA may want to do another C/P examination, in my case it was just awarded but you never can tell what the va is going to do.

VBA-21-2680-ARE.pdf