VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I get TDIU benefits with a 50 percent disability for depression?

Rate this question

Ann Zilch

Question

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

That depends on a lot more than you have mentioned here. Are you working now? Are you in active treatment? Do you have evidence of failing workplace performance issues or interpersonal issues with coworkers, customers, or management? Do you have self care issues? Are yiyba risk to self or others? 

8 hours ago, Ann Zilch said:

Can I get TDIU benefits as a 50 percent disabled veteran with depression.

That is a loaded question... the word CAN is the crux.

a vet CAN get TDIU at low SC %'s not outlined in law.

It is an extra-schedular decision based on the unique circumstances of the specific veterans claim.

https://www.legalhelpforveterans.com/2014/12/30/understanding-tdiu-do-i-qualify/

You would NOT meet the Schedular requirements, but if you feel you merit TDIU then do your research. get your C-file, get your proof of losing jobs because of your conditions, get your Social Security records, get your buddy statements (on the right forms) and build your case.

I highly recommend Chris Attig and Veterans Law Blog to you. He offers a primer on TDIU claims if you can afford it.

10 hours ago, Ann Zilch said:

Can I get TDIU benefits as a 50 percent disabled veteran with depression.

Any thing is  possible but it will depend on  your ability to show that your unemployable  because of the inability to do the work based on your depression  only. My advise is to speak to your doctor , identify to him why you cannot work, and let him help you decide if your totally unemployable or if your capable of working in sheltered environments. Frankly, your not likely to get TDIU  based on a 50% rating alone.  The basic requirements are  the inability to do any kind of work because of your medical condition. Then you normally would need a single  60% rating   for one medical issue, or a 70% combined  rating of which one of the medical issues must be rated at 40%. It very hard, and unlikely that you would be given TDIU on an extra- scheduler basis.  You will need a doctor to decide this issue before you even consider going to a lawyer, because if your don't have a doctor on your side... its more that likely that you would lose the claim.  You could take the chance put the claim in and then go to a C/P exam where the doctor works for the VA not you.... and take the chance that a strange doctor who knows nothing about you or your medical history is going to agree that you cannot work.... but again its chancy without a doctors medical opinion to back up your claim.