VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

High Cholesterol and Peripheral Vascular Disease

Rate this question

Frank89

Question

I have been dealing with Peripheral Vascular Disease for 5 years.  When I was active duty in Naples, Italy, in 1993 during my physical exam coming back to the States, my doctor said that I had High Cholesterol.  I was discharged from active duty in Oct 1995 and during my physical when leaving the military I was still diagnosed with High Cholesterol.  I know that high cholesterol is not considered a disease but a lab finding.  My question to everyone who might have an answer, here it goes.  Can I claim my current PVD to my High Cholesterol as either a service-connection or as secondary to my High cholesterol?  I really would appreciate everyone's help! Thanks in advance.

Chacho Cvazos

• HadIt.com Elder

As Berta asked, do you have any other S-C disabilities? I would try research on ANY meds you take that were prescribed by the VA. It is a long shot for sure but if you take a prescribed med for one thing sometimes you can get adverse conditions that can lead to a secondary. Many veterans don't do the research. Simple procedure I recommend: list every disability you have. Then list every med that you take. Look up the med and see if it has side effects/adverse conditions. Are the symptoms bad enough to be rated?If so, maybe you have a secondary. Of course you then would have to get a good IMO from a doc who can link them together. EVERY veteran should do this research on every prescribed med they take.

Were you treated in any way, statin meds, or diet , while inservice, for the cholesterol?

Do you have a copy of your SMRs?

Have you had ongoing treatment for the high cholesterol since you left service?

This might be a very difficult claim to succeed in. Do you have any other disability that would have an inservice nexus?

PVD can be caused by "High blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels".  It can also be caused by obesity, smoking, increasing age, and family history.  I see the VA trying to pin one of these on you.  To win this I would say that you need a rock solid independent medical opinion by a vascular doctor.  Being there are not that many doctors that fit this bill it may get expensive.  I would ask your current doctor if he believes that this could be caused by your bad cholesterol levels and go from there.  If your current doctor thinks that something else might be the cause tread lightly, he may make a medical opinion that the VA can use against you.

Sort of what GBArmy said you need to research your disabilities.  After having a heatstroke in the military I was rendered unfit by the accident three years later.  I had to become an expert in the science of heat injuries and what else may proceed from them.  I spent many hours in the medical school library cross checking and reading articles.  If not for this research I would not have the rating I have today.  Long story short, you need to become an expert in PVD if you wish to win this claim. 

I use Google all the time to see what side effects my meds may be causing, after all we really never know. If you do discover a med that may cause PVD you will need a strong IMO to establish a SC. I also Google my disabilities that are SC to see if any of them may cause other issues I may have or may get in the future.

Always remember as GB and vetquest say you need to research these items yourself and become an expert in PVD or any other disability you are trying to get SC.

Hey guys, since I'm new here I don't see where I can reply to th answers you guys posted.  Hopefully, u can see this, and I will reply to each question separately I guess. To answer Berta's response. I wasn't treated with statins or any other meds when diagnosed.  I was PCSing back to the States when I was diagnosed during my physical coming back.  After state side, I fell under the VSI/SSB downsizing, I missed E-5 by 3 points at the 10 year mark so when discharged, I was told at my exiting physical about my high cholesterol but by that time, I'm sure they could care less. I do have a copy of my SMR'.  I have been on statins since then but apparently to no avail, and lastly, nothing else in my SMRs for another in-service disability.