VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

High Cholesterol and Peripheral Vascular Disease

Rate this question

Frank89

Question

I have been dealing with Peripheral Vascular Disease for 5 years.  When I was active duty in Naples, Italy, in 1993 during my physical exam coming back to the States, my doctor said that I had High Cholesterol.  I was discharged from active duty in Oct 1995 and during my physical when leaving the military I was still diagnosed with High Cholesterol.  I know that high cholesterol is not considered a disease but a lab finding.  My question to everyone who might have an answer, here it goes.  Can I claim my current PVD to my High Cholesterol as either a service-connection or as secondary to my High cholesterol?  I really would appreciate everyone's help! Thanks in advance.

Chacho Cvazos

Hey paulstrgn,

Yes sir, trust me, I have or am getting to be an expert on the PVD and still researching.  I will keep you guys informed on my status with this claim.  In another post, I will give you guys a more in-depth on what is going on and what happened on my claim.  Thank you 

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank89, so I did a quick check. Statins can cause heart problems, peripheral neuropathy, stroke. You haven't said whether you have any s-c disabilities. If you take meds for a s-c, then any medical consequences can be linked. You need to get PVD s-c before you can tag onto the meds. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank89 If you have a copy of your med records and that notation is on it, great. Do you use VA medical, or do you have a civilian doc who prescribes the statin and blood thinners? If civilian, see if you can get him to do a dbq for the cholesterol diagnosis, and get him to say that it was, in his opinion, "at least as likely as not" established during your active duty time. If it is a VA doc, when you see him/her again, ask how long does it take to get high cholesterol? Then ask, gee doc, could this have been while I was on active _years ago. If he responds favorably, ask him politely if he could just mention it in your progress notes. Your SMR should be enough, but belt and suspenders when dealing with the VA works better. Of course, once you get s-c, any meds you need to take for that particular disability are on the VA, no cost/co-pay to you.

Hey GBArmy,

Thank you for that quick research on the statins.  Let me give everyone  a quick run down on what is going on with the claim I submitted.  I was approved on August 7, 2019 for PVD (60). When I got out f the hospital, I had submitted for temporary 100% because I am singva walker and a can at the moment   When, I got my decision letter, they said that the RO who worked my first claim had given me the rating and approval by mistake, saying there was nothing in my SMR to warrant the rating. Now they are proposing to sever the 60% completely and just keep my 10%.  I put in to have a hearing because my VA Vascular Surgeon who is treating me said she was willing to help me with putting a Nexus letter together to link my current condition of PVD to my in-service "lab finding/condition of High Cholesterol. In actuality, I am the one writing the Nexus letter for her, I'm an alright writer, but wanted to post on here to get any help or opinion's on the letter and if anyone proposed any changes or wedding to ty and get right the first time.  Thank you for your help.  I really mean it brother.

Chacho

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank89 If you have a copy of your med records and that notation is on it, great. Do you use VA medical, or do you have a civilian doc who prescribes the statin and blood thinners? If civilian, see if you can get him to do a dbq for the cholesterol diagnosis, and get him to say that it was, in his opinion, "at least as likely as not" established during your active duty time. If it is a VA doc, when you see him/her again, ask how long does it take to get high cholesterol? Then ask, gee doc, could this have been while I was on active _years ago. If he responds favorably, ask him politely if he could just mention it in your progress notes. Your SMR should be enough, but belt and suspenders when dealing with the VA works better. Of course, once you get s-c, any meds you need to take for that particular disability are on the VA, no cost/co-pay to you. 

I just saw that there isn't a specific diagnostic code for high cholesterol. My bad, I should have checked it first. There is a condition which is called hyperlipidemia, d.c. 7005, and it is rated if it results in a heart condition. So, the obvious question is do yo you have a heart condition. If so, then what I suggested still applies, but I would suggest that you get a strong IMO to submit with your claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

So what is the 10% s-c rating for? Is it PVD lowest rating, or another disability? What is the diagnostic code that you were originally given a 60% rating for? You can find it at ebenies or your decision letter.