• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
GBArmy

Meniere's Syndrome

Question

I'm scheduled for some testing which I believe will include testing for Meniere's Syndrome (MS). I read many entries here and I am not sure if Tinnitus is secondary to MS, or the other way around. I believe that Berta said MS  can be secondary to Tinnitus. I am already s-c for tinnitus. I am curious if anyone has had experience with the exam and what is done. My rack of testing is scheduled for 4 hours; so I don't have any idea how long the MD part might take. Any input on what goes on would be appreciated.

36 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Meniere's Syndrome (MS).

Please be careful short handing MS as meniere's disease. It will cause confusion for some folks. MS is much worse than meniere's.

There are like 12 types of Vertigo-causing conditions. One for example is migraine related vertigo with or without headaches. For rating purposes what you need is straight forward, for treatment purposes not so much.

The MR21 states if you have Hearing Loss, Tinnitus and Vertigo then you should be rated as Menieres if it gives the highest rating compared to the three individually. It usually does.

To get 100% meniere's you have to have a cerebral gait, basically the "drunk walk" plus the other stuff under the rating.

You have to have events of Vertigo several times a month for the lowest rating, several times a week for the highest rating. This includes when you roll over in bed and get a swimming sensation in your head.

I am dealing with this right now. My situation is complicated and I am working the steps to get my HL SC'd back to 2013 through a CUE. I have an SC for Vertigo and Tinnitus and HL at 0% as of 2019. I had all three in 2013 but the VA hosed me over so now I have to fight them over it. It is worth over 100K to me if I get this EED'd back to 2013. I also have an SA claim that will do about the same thing hehehehe working them all. I want my freaking money!!!

You will probably have to be tested using a VNG...which amounts to being waterboarded through the ear!!! alternatively they can use blasts of warm and cold air into your ears alternating. You get to do cognitive things during this time like counting by 17's or telling them how many states names start with R, W, N, F, A, etc.

If you do the  full VNG you will be place in a rotating chair, with dark goggles on, in a chamber. they will spin you in different directions at different speeds while flashing colored lights and lines in front of your eyes. They will record your eyes ability to track those things.

The first one I did I threw up 5 times. This last one only 3 times...improvement?

The funny thing about this whole process is it is to prove that your ears are working properly.

If the mechanics of your ears, your vestibular system, are working right, then your cause of Meniere's is something other than that system.

The Dr can print you a copy of the results on the spot. I suggest you get them. According to mine, the can do this for "training" but they cannot (by regulation) provide them at a later date, so if they fail to get into your medical record you are HOSED...I am dealing with this very issue on my VNG from 2013.

53 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

My rack of testing is scheduled for 4 hours; so I don't have any idea how long the MD part might take.

That is the VNG battery 4 hours is normal. They will also do a bunch of standing, stepping, walking type tests. The Audiologist is there doing all the tests as required by regulation it must be an Audiologist specifically certified in this area of Audiology. They must have a state license and cert in the sub-specialty.

At my VAMC they have the Dizzy Board, that is the real name, and after the tests the board reviews and determines the next medical steps. You should get a diagnosis of vertigo out of the tests, just not a specific cause. You are unlikely to get them to say you have meniere's at this junction. If you have HL and Tinnitus, then take the diagnosis and apply for vertigo and specifically call out Menieres.

Make sure they document your drunk walk. if you have buddy statements that say you stagger and swerve for no reason all the time, all the better for you.

BE clear, there are other causes of Meniere's, for rating purposes and your mention of Tinnitus, I only talked about those components.

Some say meniere's is a catchall diagnosis, and for rating purposes that is kinda true as outlined, but there are specific tests and procedures for the various causes. Some include brain surgery but that option has no guarantee of fixing the problem so it is a sketchy choice to me.

By some chance do you smoke or have lung/breathing/oxygen problems? if so monitor your vertigo events to when you are having breathing problems.

Do you have headaches or a constant headache? you don't have to think of them as migraines for them to medically be migraines.

hope that helps... definitely read the DBQ and the law on this issue.

• Thanks 1

I have been diagnosed with meniers by the VA ENT and also my civilian nurse practitioner. The va has prescribed me two medications for meniers also. I went to my c&p exam in July and am awaiting the update for my NOD from 2017. My c&p exam was done by a nurse practitioner who specializes in ENT. She did no tests on me other than have me stand up and look for nystagmus i believe. None of the above tests were done on me and she granted me service connection. She reviewed all of my charts while i was in and also the reoccurring and progressing issues since 2009. She reviewed all civilian treatments as well and saw the dbq/nexus as well. She said my history and issues are all inclusive of meniers. I am already service connected for left ear hearing loss and tinnitus. I/My vso submitted a claim for vertigo secondary to meneirs, or something like that, in july of this year. They responded and said that they are unable to process that claim due to my open NOD from 2017 which was % increase for hearing loss and ear infections. So now it is all tossed into one claim/nod. As i mentioned, I now have a favorable C&P that i read at 50% or greater for connection and medical opinion in my favor. Civilian ARNP dbq/nexus both in my favor, and being treated and was told by va ENT that i have meniers. Just waiting now to see what kind of shit they try to tell me to not approve me. 

We have had many vets here with Meniere 's Syndrome:

https://community.hadit.com/search/?q=Meniere's

Maybe something in those posts will help you.

8 hours ago, FlyboyLeRoy said:

. I/My vso submitted a claim for vertigo secondary to meneirs, or something like that, in july of this year.

in the MR21, the VA is supposed to rate a combination of Hearing Loss, Tinnitus and Vertigo as Meneirs Disease IF that rating is higher than the value of the individual ratings HL is typically 0, Tinnitus 10, that leaves Vertigo starting at around 30% typically.

A menieres diagnosis per the VA, at the highest rate, requires you have the Drunk Walk and episodes of vertigo several times a week. Then it is 100%.

The MR21, in relation to Meneire's, is silent on what causes your Vertigo, just that you have vertigo. What that means is that what is in the Law on Meneires are the only criteria for assigning a percentage. They cannot say " vets vertigo is from migraines so rate him for migraines not meneires". They can rate you for migraines separately but the vertigo SHOULD be coupled to your hearing and tinnitus stuff to combine for Meneire's...this is for ratings, not treatment.

15 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

in the MR21, the VA is supposed to rate a combination of Hearing Loss, Tinnitus and Vertigo as Meneirs Disease IF that rating is higher than the value of the individual ratings HL is typically 0, Tinnitus 10, that leaves Vertigo starting at around 30% typically.

A menieres diagnosis per the VA, at the highest rate, requires you have the Drunk Walk and episodes of vertigo several times a week. Then it is 100%.

The MR21, in relation to Meneire's, is silent on what causes your Vertigo, just that you have vertigo. What that means is that what is in the Law on Meneires are the only criteria for assigning a percentage. They cannot say " vets vertigo is from migraines so rate him for migraines not meneires". They can rate you for migraines separately but the vertigo SHOULD be coupled to your hearing and tinnitus stuff to combine for Meneire's...this is for ratings, not treatment.

I've read that as well for meniers (6205) you must have all symptoms you mentioned to include the drunk walk. Also I've read that endolympathic hydrops (6204) requires you to have HL, tinnitus, and vertigo and can rate you 30%, 60%, 100% depending on the amount of episodes per week/month. I do not half the "drunk walk" as needed for 6205 but per history/dqb/etc i met all for endolympathic hydrops.