VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sciatic Nerve

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am currently rated at 20% for 

8521-8520 PREVIOUSLY RATED AS RIGHT LOWER EXTREMITY RADICULOPATHY OF THE SCIATIC AND EXTERNAL POPLITEAL NERVES ASSOCIATED WITH INTERVERTEBRAL DISC SYNDROME AND DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS WITH

SCOLIOSIS, SPONDYLOARTHROPATHY, AND THORACOLUMBAR STRAIN.

I also have polyneuropathy in my feet, when I look at the nerve matrix for the VA it says for these five nerves "Common Peroneal", "Superficial Peroneal", "Deep Peroneal", "Tibial", and "Posterior Tibial" - "Seperate Evaluation is Prohibited, part of the Sciatic Branch"

My feet are numb, they have the burning, tingling, and stabbing sensations all the time. My feet bother me all the time, especially when I try to sleep.

So my question is, is it possible to to have my percentage raised from 20% to 40% or higher?

I know when I do apply I will also ask for for an SMC K for my feet - this might be a long shot but I will try.

Paul,

As you know anything is possible as far as getting it hiked up.. as to the K award  , if you have a total dropfoot its automatic at least in my case it was and I was also awarded the auto grant and adaptive equipment for life..which is a really great benefit because I can get a new ramp van every two years and when I trade in the old one, the new one only cost me on average 10K.... the va pays over 30K for the ramp system  every time I get a new van so for me its a great benefit.

When I was rated for my back injury in 1999,   I was rated at 60% but the VA said the dropfoot &  sciatic nerve damage was part and parcel of the back injury so they did not give me separate ratings just the K award. Now I was rated under the old rules for my back,  and under the new rules there is no way that I would get a 60% rating...because its is so rare to get bed rest from any doctor for a back injury now,  so I don't even think about trying to get it raised or separate ratings...

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you can get the K rating because its the benefits for loss of use of a foot that really add up... 

I would always think that there is a possibility.  I am currently awaiting an NOD where they added a request for increase of my neuropathies.  I do not know why they did this because I was requesting an EED.  I understand from the CFR's though that they cannot reduce a disability on an NOD.  I am at 20% also but I have burning and pain in my thighs also.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't put in for the increase. You are now rate 1oo% P&T, correct, not TDIU? So you aren't going to trigger another complete eval on all your disabilities again. 

9 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

60% rating...because its is so rare to get bed rest from any doctor for a back injury now

Richard you are correct, I had over 9 weeks of being out of work for my back issues. But as you said doctors do not put you on bed rest anymore, they actually do not want you to be on bed rest as it is worse for the back.

9 hours ago, vetquest said:

I am at 20% also but I have burning and pain in my thighs also.

I currently receive the following:

left lower extremity radiculopathy affecting the femoral nerve                                                                                  20%
right lower extremity radiculopathy affecting the femoral nerve                                                                                20%
previously rated as right lower extremity radiculopathy of the sciatic and external popliteal nerves                  20%                    
left lower extremity radiculopathy of the sciatic and external popliteal nerves                                                       20%

I am not sure if me feet are already tied into the above, so I will definitely file for polyneuropathy for my feet.  I am already rated for flat feet at 10%.

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

You are now rate 1oo% P&T, correct,

GB I am 100% but not P&T, that is because one of my disabilities is for depression (they say it could get better).

I am filing for everything I can to try and get to P&T, I need 20% more to get there. I have a CUE for my hand which could get me another 10% and if I can get the VA to agree with my BP readings I would pick up 20% (I had three readings where my diastolic was over 110). I wrote in the VA letter that if they disagree with my BP readings to schedule me for new BP readings (I hope I don't regret that, you never know what they will read and write down).

• HadIt.com Elder

As many of us have said,  we wish you luck on the quest; got to keep on trucking. I think that since you were just recently granted 100%, they will not go after every disability C&P, especially for depression, but you are aware that they can re-look at everything. The theory is that they want to evaluate the whole  body system as it relates to your new worse conditions/symptoms. I just want people reading to be aware there is risk involved we we ask for an increase. We want them to be aware the VA is unpredictable when it comes to benefits.

Edited by GBArmy
typo

GB you are correct, anytime you file you run the risk of the VA re-evaluating your previously awarded disability. Until you get 100% P&T I personally think it is worth the risk. That is why I amt still filing until I get the P&T added to my 100%.