VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sciatic Nerve

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am currently rated at 20% for 

8521-8520 PREVIOUSLY RATED AS RIGHT LOWER EXTREMITY RADICULOPATHY OF THE SCIATIC AND EXTERNAL POPLITEAL NERVES ASSOCIATED WITH INTERVERTEBRAL DISC SYNDROME AND DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS WITH

SCOLIOSIS, SPONDYLOARTHROPATHY, AND THORACOLUMBAR STRAIN.

I also have polyneuropathy in my feet, when I look at the nerve matrix for the VA it says for these five nerves "Common Peroneal", "Superficial Peroneal", "Deep Peroneal", "Tibial", and "Posterior Tibial" - "Seperate Evaluation is Prohibited, part of the Sciatic Branch"

My feet are numb, they have the burning, tingling, and stabbing sensations all the time. My feet bother me all the time, especially when I try to sleep.

So my question is, is it possible to to have my percentage raised from 20% to 40% or higher?

I know when I do apply I will also ask for for an SMC K for my feet - this might be a long shot but I will try.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul  you should file I don't think they will want to reevaulate your other conditions  some of them you just got  so it would be useless and a waist of time.

Now as for as them re evaluating some condition's for increase  they may re evaluate those and may or may not give you any problems.. If I was you I would ask for the P&T on the conditions that are never going to get better  once your P&T they call off the Dogs  (so-to-speak) 

I been P&T Now for 18 1/2 years  and I have filed for other conditions  and they never bothered me on the ones I have Service Connected and Rated,

It may just be my thinking but being P&T makes a difference when we go after other condition or for increase on a existing condition .  

I think it give us an established status as for as being a disabled Veteran

They tend to believe in us more  (jmo)

Buck I will apply, I am just waiting on the doctor to send me his notes so I can submit them.

13 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

If I was you I would ask for the P&T on the conditions that are never going to get better

Without the depression I am at 93%, other than OSA everything else is at 20% or 10%. I guess I don't know what the justification would be for asking for P&T. I am a full-time government employee so needless to say I am able to still work..

22 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

once your P&T they call off the Dogs  (so-to-speak) 

I am with you on that buddy, other than asking for an EED, I will stop my pursuit unless of a major medical problem such as a heart attack or perhaps a worsening of my IVDS (which is still getting worse, I have lost another 2' of height in the last 18 months).

On a side note. As you may remember the VA has proposed a reduction due to a bad C&P which was done by QTC. This was done last December, now I have been complaining about this with the VA as well as writing a complaint to QTC (this was last May). To make a long story short I got this idea to call QTC to see if they will write a letter stating that the C&P that was performed in December should not be used because of possible errors (I wanted to give QTC a way out without saying the doctor screwed up). After I called yesterday I spoke with three different individuals and they were all very sympathetic to what has happened. I last person I had spoken with yesterday said he was going to speak with the quality section and have them call me to see what could be done. Well I was never called back by them, but I was called back just this morning by the person I spoke with yesterday and he has reached out to the Roanoke office and they will set me up with a new exam to help resolve these issues. He also told me he will followup to make sure I get to see the right doctor, needless to say I am very impressed with this individual. 

This is why I believe we need to be vocal and not afraid to ask to have problems corrected when we have been done wrong. I have emailed the Chief of Staff of the VA when I had a problem and it was corrected that very same day. I have contacted the assistant director of the Roanoke office about problems and have received numerous calls from them to correct these issues/problems.

I always to to keep the emails profession and brief, I just try to tell them the problem and ask if they can help get it back on track.

So my recommendation to everyone is don't be afraid to email or call these place to try to resolve your problem. I also do not do this on ever case or problem, only the ones I can't get fixed.

2 hours ago, GBArmy said:

but you are aware that they can re-look at everything. The theory is that they want to evaluate the whole  body system as it relates to your new worse conditions/symptoms. I just want people reading to be aware there is risk involved we we ask for an increase

To this I say poppycock ... I have dealt with the VA since 1986, I have had over  65 claims actions with the VA since 1986. I have also assisted many veterans with their claims ( about 200) ,  Not one time has any medical issue been reevaluated unless it was requested .  In all these years I have yet to meet a veteran who claimed the VA reviewed something when they asked  for a increase in something else . This is an old wife's tale.... Could it happen sure, anything is possible but  will it happen,  not very likely, why? because the VA doesn't have the time to work claims as it is and they are very unlikely to go looking at other issues that are not involved with the claims request.  This comes from  service offices at the local chapter, those that don't want to do the work but want credit for doing it..... and it is was  done to scare veterans into not requesting an increase of their claims. Again I say Poppycock....

6 minutes ago, Richard1954 said:

Not one time has any medical issue been reevaluated unless it was requested

In my case I went in for a reconsideration of my back and knees, after the C&P (which I thought went well) the DBQ indicated my back got better and the denied my knees. Then out of the blue I received a letter from the VA with a proposal to reduce. They wanted to lower my IVDS from 20% to 10% and my left and right Femoral nerve from 20% to 0%. Now I never asked them to reevaluate my nerves in my legs yet because of the DBQ the VA now wants to lower me. So yes the VA can and does try to reduce ones ratings. 

So yes they can propose to reduce issues you never asked to have looked at. As I was told by the regional office in Roanoke, VA told me that any time you go in for an exam they can reevaluate your other disabilities! BTW all my disabilities are listed as "Static" which is supposed me mean they will never get better.

So I must disagree with you thinking of it as a "an old wises tale" for it is not, and it is not poppy cock. JMO

17 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

So I must disagree with you thinking of it as a "an old wises tale" for it is not, and it is not poppy cock. JMO

I am just wondering if Richards stated experience is mostly with vets who are over 55 or who have had their ratings for 5 or more years? 38 CFR 3.327(b)(2), pretty much limits those categories from re-examination unless there is significant evidence of improvement.

It seems quite likely that age and length of rating may have some effect on the vets he has helped or dealt with.