VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

General Compensation Question

Rate this question

PEACHES1962

Question

This is my first time writing on this site even though I read it alot. I submitted a claim in July 2019 for sleep apnea secondary to chronic fatigue syndrome (Secondary), sleep disturbances (related to: Environmental Hazard in Gulf War) (New), sleep apnea (secondary to: sleep disturbances) (New). I have had my exam through LHI in August with the following remarks from my examiner:

Veteran was also diagnosed with OSA and is compliant with a CPAP machine therapy.

Concerning the contention of Sleep disturbances due to environmental hazards in Gulf War. Veteran has sleep
disturbances that are likely a result of PTSD type symptoms with nightmares, insomnia which are both hallmark symptoms of PTSD and trauma based
disorders. Her sleep disturbances are also a result of her diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and other Gulf War medical issues.

In fact, it is highly likely her sleep disturbances have incurred from both all stressor occurrences while she was in Army.

I also have a supplemental claim in progress for PTSD that was initially denied in 2008 and the examiner stated:

Veteran's previous C & PReview PTSD Examination was completed on MAY 13,
2008 by Cristina Gamez-Galka, Ph.D., of Houston, TX. Dr. Gamez-Galka diagnosed veteran with PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder. A C & P Initial
PTSD Examination completed on MAY 6, 2002 by Dunn, Ph.D. (Houston VAMC) also diagnosed veteran with PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder,
recurrent.

Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood

My question is, would this be enough to qualify me for compensation or is it a chance I will be denied?

I must add that I am currently seeing a VA psychologist for PTSD.

Thank you guys for your responses.

Today contacted my VSO (ebenefits not working) and he told me that my supplemental claim for PTSD-MST is currently in the "ready for decision" status.  My question is what is "ready for decision status" and what is the average guess time between "ready for decision status" and completed.  Will a decision come soon or will I have to wait until longer?

Edited by PEACHES1962

• HadIt.com Elder

It could be soon; but then there is no way of saying how long. You can check ebenies and see, but it has been having some problems trying to stay on line recently. Couple days, maybe. No one knows. But the really reliable news will be when you get your decision letter. It will have the facts. Ebenies can, be and often is, unreliable. Things change in status all the time, and sometimes other info as well. You got to wait it out. 

Update - Just called VA and was informed that my claim went back to development stage. They are now waiting on documents from military hospitals I was admitted to (which they should already have). At this time there is no estimated date but they will try to complete within the 125 days (Started from 06/26/2019 - . 11/2019 should be 125 days).  In the meantime since I have the name of another hospital I was admitted to (4 altogether), I will submit that information. She informed me to do this on a 21-4142a and a 21-4138. I am doing this now and submitting to evidence intake. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Peaches1962 I would also suggest that you contact any and all the 4 hospitals that are involved and ask for their info your self. If any are VA hospitals, you have to submit an SF-180 form and sign off so they will process it for you. There is aspace on it where it asks the purpose; check off for a claim. It is going to take a while, but it doesn't do any harm of you trying to obtain the records that the VA has an obligation to get as a parallel action. You see, you may be successful, and somehow the VA is not successful in getting the records. And you ask why? How could that be possible? And the answer is because it is the VA. If they don't find your records (because someone didn't look very hard???,) would that impact the decision on your claim. All i'm saying is do a little extra and try yourself to get  them.

I really appreciate your advise, but I have requested (MH) those records too. One hospital was a civilian one and they have since closed and destroyed records (I was in there in 1994). One of the hospitals was military but I was not in at the time ( I was married to an enlisted soldier).  That was in 1985-86 ( I it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see what they say).  Thank you GBArmy for the idea.