VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

General Compensation Question

Rate this question

PEACHES1962

Question

This is my first time writing on this site even though I read it alot. I submitted a claim in July 2019 for sleep apnea secondary to chronic fatigue syndrome (Secondary), sleep disturbances (related to: Environmental Hazard in Gulf War) (New), sleep apnea (secondary to: sleep disturbances) (New). I have had my exam through LHI in August with the following remarks from my examiner:

Veteran was also diagnosed with OSA and is compliant with a CPAP machine therapy.

Concerning the contention of Sleep disturbances due to environmental hazards in Gulf War. Veteran has sleep
disturbances that are likely a result of PTSD type symptoms with nightmares, insomnia which are both hallmark symptoms of PTSD and trauma based
disorders. Her sleep disturbances are also a result of her diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and other Gulf War medical issues.

In fact, it is highly likely her sleep disturbances have incurred from both all stressor occurrences while she was in Army.

I also have a supplemental claim in progress for PTSD that was initially denied in 2008 and the examiner stated:

Veteran's previous C & PReview PTSD Examination was completed on MAY 13,
2008 by Cristina Gamez-Galka, Ph.D., of Houston, TX. Dr. Gamez-Galka diagnosed veteran with PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder. A C & P Initial
PTSD Examination completed on MAY 6, 2002 by Dunn, Ph.D. (Houston VAMC) also diagnosed veteran with PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder,
recurrent.

Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood

My question is, would this be enough to qualify me for compensation or is it a chance I will be denied?

I must add that I am currently seeing a VA psychologist for PTSD.

Thank you guys for your responses.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:51 PM, PEACHES1962 said:

This is my first time writing on this site even though I read it alot. I submitted a claim in July 2019 for sleep apnea secondary to chronic fatigue syndrome (Secondary), sleep disturbances (related to: Environmental Hazard in Gulf War) (New), sleep apnea (secondary to: sleep disturbances) (New). I have had my exam through LHI in August with the following remarks from my examiner:

Veteran was also diagnosed with OSA and is compliant with a CPAP machine therapy.

Concerning the contention of Sleep disturbances due to environmental hazards in Gulf War. Veteran has sleep
disturbances that are likely a result of PTSD type symptoms with nightmares, insomnia which are both hallmark symptoms of PTSD and trauma based
disorders. Her sleep disturbances are also a result of her diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and other Gulf War medical issues.

In fact, it is highly likely her sleep disturbances have incurred from both all stressor occurrences while she was in Army.

I also have a supplemental claim in progress for PTSD that was initially denied in 2008 and the examiner stated:

Veteran's previous C & PReview PTSD Examination was completed on MAY 13,
2008 by Cristina Gamez-Galka, Ph.D., of Houston, TX. Dr. Gamez-Galka diagnosed veteran with PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder. A C & P Initial
PTSD Examination completed on MAY 6, 2002 by Dunn, Ph.D. (Houston VAMC) also diagnosed veteran with PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder,
recurrent.

Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood

My question is, would this be enough to qualify me for compensation or is it a chance I will be denied?

I must add that I am currently seeing a VA psychologist for PTSD.

Thank you guys for your responses.

Hi Peaches.  I to have a similar case and came across your post. Excellent info and thank you for sharing it.   I was wondering how you made out or are you still waiting?

I am a Gulf War Vet.  I have 40% Fibromyalgia service connected as Environmental hazard in Gulf War as well as 30% PTSD combat related.

I was diagnosed with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea and am currently using a CPAP.  I am in the process of filing a claim for Sleep Apnea secondary to my Fibromyalgia.  I am waiting on my DBQ and IMO in the mail.  There is a solid study published in 2017 by Turkish Thoracic Journal called " Is there a link between OSA syndrome and Fibromyalgia syndrome".  Listed with PubMed.gov which hosts US national Library of Medicine and national institute of health. This study is a great piece of information to justify the phrase " at least as likely as not".

Their results and conclusion were:

RESULTS:  OSAS was detected in 50% of patients with FMS. The most prominent clinical findings were morning fatigue and sleep disorder, which were similar in three groups. In polysomnography (PSG) evaluation, patients with FMS had mild (33%), moderate (25%), and severe (42%) OSAS. In correlation analyses, negative correlations were observed between fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQ) and mean oxygen saturation, visual analogue scale (VAS), and minimum oxygen saturation, whereas a positive correlation was found between FIQ and desaturation times in patients with FMS.

CONCLUSION:

Detection of OSAS in 50% of the patients with FMS, and similar rates of complaints of sleep disorder and morning fatigue of OSAS and FMS cases are important results. Detection of correlation between the severity of hypoxemia and FIQ and VAS scores are significant because it signifies the contribution of increased tissue hypoxemia to the deterioration of clinical status. Diagnosis and treatment of OSAS associated with FMS are important because of their favorable contributions to the improvement of the clinical picture of FMS.

Thanks

Waterboy

2 hours ago, PEACHES1962 said:

I am currently 50% from sleep apnea secondary to fibro. 

Ok, great! I'm glad you won that. I'm in the process of filing a similar claim as you listed above.

Same thing, great IMO and am now just waiting.  

It's good to see sleep apnea secondary to fibro  win.  

Thanks again for all of your previous posts, very informative.

Waterboy