VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Post Exchange And Commisary Privilages

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

What do we need in order to get PX and Commisary privilages? Do you have to be rated 100% to get an ID card? I am 60%. Am I eligible to use the commissary and PX? A while back someone posted the forms needed to obtain a military ID card, could they post it again?

I am close to a Army Arsenal that has PX and Commissary among the regular Army base activities. I already have a Department of the Army MWR ID card for gaining access to the gym etc., But I think you have to have a military type ID card to use the PX and Commisary. Right or Wrong?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

He was misinformed. He can be 100% TDIU if it is P&T and get the card the ChampVA for spouse and kids. The real key is P&T.

i think it depends on the place you go i received a ID when i was 70% and I U before i became PT i did get a letter from the VA saying i was allowed

• HadIt.com Elder

As many have posted here, if you are 100% schedular or 100% because of IU, then you are authorized a DoD ID card, more sprecifically DD Form 2765. The DoD ID cards for 100% disabiled veterans used to be DD Form 1173, but they changed it awhile back due to some confusion with eligible dependents of active duty personnel.

As Rickb54 posted, awhile back there was also confussion as to whether Iu veterans were authorized a DoD ID card because, technically, they weren't a 100%; however, the DoD General Council wote a opion (can't rememeber the number) stating that all RAPIDS issunig faciities were to honor all IU veterans for issuing the DD Form 2765. The only thing that is required due to this opinion is a letter from VA stating that the veteran is in receipt of 100% disability. A letter stating that a veteran has, for example, 80% but receiving IU generally won't work. The VA knows this, so when one callls to get the letter, they just need to say they need a letter from VA for purposes of getting issued a DoD ID card. The VA will know what is neede and send required letter to theveteran. Having said that, some rapid sites will still issue a DOD ID card with just a DD 214 and the rating decision, which is technically wrong, but some do it any ways. The best thing to do is just request letter from VA and take that with a copy od your DFD 214 to the nearest RAPIDS site and there won't be any problems.

Also, as Rickb54 posted, the reasoning behind the future exam things is to determine whether the ID card shows IDEF or not. If there is a future exam scheduled, then, normally, the expiration date shows a date 60 days after the scheduled C&P exam. If there isn't a future exma scheduled, meaning P&T, then the expiration date reads INDEF.

I thing to keep in mind that I also see alot is that the DD Form 2765 does not authorize Space A travel on DoD military aircraft. The only thing currently autorized for 100% or IU veterans in this sense is we are authorized Space A flights on Coast Gaurd aircraft only. The ratiinal behind this the Coast Gaurd was a part of the Department of Transpotaion (Now the Department of Homeland Security), not DoD as the other service departments. Having said this, there have been numerous bills in recent years that have been purposed in the House and Senate to change this current DoD policy. Whether or not it gets changed or not is up in the air. It seems everytime it comes up for ratification, it gets stalled in some sub-committee.

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder
What do we need in order to get PX and Commisary privilages? Do you have to be rated 100% to get an ID card? I am 60%. Am I eligible to use the commissary and PX? A while back someone posted the forms needed to obtain a military ID card, could they post it again?

I am close to a Army Arsenal that has PX and Commissary among the regular Army base activities. I already have a Department of the Army MWR ID card for gaining access to the gym etc., But I think you have to have a military type ID card to use the PX and Commisary. Right or Wrong?

Sounds like you already have the DoD ID card. Mine is a photo ID, basically tan in color, Says DAV (which either means disabled army vet or disabled american vet) on it, and MWR (moral, welfare and recreation), Indef if you are P&T or an expiration date if not P&T. I use it for hotel discounts, base privileges, base transient housing, etc, or anywhere I can get a discount. Handy thing to have.

pr

Widows of 100% P & Ts get this too-

I imagine spouses of living vets would also-if the vet is 100% P & T ?

Do they?

I never used this - I bought a bunch of stuff at Lackland BX but my daughter, with me, was in uniform at the time- so maybe this is why they didnt check me out?

I had Rods DD 214 and DD 215 and even his award letter because I thought they would need to check about the medals I bought-but they didnt.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

Spouses of 100% disabled veterans are issued DD Form 1173 and have an expiration date of, I think, 5 years from the date they were issued. At least my wifes was five years.

Vike 17

Do you know this to be fact? My brother is 70% but is TDIU. He looked into it and was told he could not get commisary/PX priveledges or ID card unless he was 100% schedular. Was he misinformed? Thanks

"Commisssary/Exchange card:

You must bring in the VA letter (VA 20-8992), which states that you are authorized Commissary and Exchange privileges and whether or not any further physicals are required. Also, a copy of your DD-214 must be brought with the VA letter. The DD Form 2765 (Tan) ID card will apply. "

If there is a future exam scheduled the card will expire 60 days after the exam date shown on the letter.

Ralph