VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Check Return Timeline?

Rate this question

roguewisher

Question

Howdy,

I haven't posted, but I've been reading along since I filed my claim back in May. My claim closed up on 9/11 and they sent me a paper check, which was unexpected but a pleasant surprise how fast the process rolled through once a decision had been made. I swung over to eBenefits to review my VA letters and noticed that despite having changed all my addresses wherever I saw them incorrect (I moved in May, as well), they sent the check to my old address four hours away.

I know mail forwarding isn't going to work in this situation after tearing through some Reddit material and this forum. However, my former mail carrier was delivering mail from previous tenants (mail from YEARS ago) while I lived at my former residence, and I'm concerned the mail forward I have in place won't kick the check back to the treasury, or that my old carrier will deliver it.

On the chance that he does take pity on me and return the check, how long is the process once it's received and sent out again? Any possibility they'd direct deposit it now that ALL my addresses are changed?

Thank you!

5 hours ago, roguewisher said:

On the chance that he does take pity on me and return the check, how long is the process once it's received and sent out again? Any possibility they'd direct deposit it now that ALL my addresses are changed?

Have you contacted the VA and Treasury yet?

if not do it NOW!

The Treasury will have to do some research, figure out the timeline on that check and cancel it. I am fairly certain they won't reissue that money to you until they confirm certain things and I have no idea what that timeline is, just that it will not likely be friendly to you.

I believe that they do not forward Treasury checks.  As geekysquid said contact the VA and inform them of the situation and request a check be resent.  If things go well they will already have the returned check when you call them.

2 minutes ago, vetquest said:

I believe that they do not forward Treasury checks.  As geekysquid said contact the VA and inform them of the situation and request a check be resent.  If things go well they will already have the returned check when you call them.

good catch Vetquest... i had not even thought about that aspect of his challenge.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe Vetquest is correct and the VA does not forward Treasury checks. But I thought they did not mail any physical checks anymore, especially on new claims. I thought that you now have to provide a checking or savings account number when you submit new claims. That must not be accurate as witnessed by the problem at hand.

I found this on the VA website about whether the VA mails checks:

https://www.va.gov/disability/about-disability-ratings/after-you-get-a-rating/

"If your decision notice shows at least a 10% disability rating, you’ll get your first payment within 15 days. We’ll pay you either by direct deposit or check. If you don’t get a payment after 15 days, please call the Veterans help line at 800-827-1000, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET."

I would suggest setting up a bank account and have direct deposit, it is faster and more secure. JMO