VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam at the VA

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I have been scheduled for a C&P exam with the VA. I have never had a C&P with the VA itself. My question is what should I expect?

I am concerned that they will be more arbitrary than seeing QTC or other contractor.

What should I expect? It is a re-exam for my back.

• HadIt.com Elder

You have never had an exam done by the VA itself! Paul, you should get ready for a treat!!!

No seriously, unless you anticipate that they are going to challenge that your back has gotten better(???),  there might be a slight bias for the examiner to just breeze thru the exam. Kinda rubber stamp on your existing conditions. I'm not saying they would do that, but maybe because it would be a quicker exam. Otherwise, if they say it has gotten better or worse, it will be more of an effort for them to discuss the rationale. You know you can't predict anything with them. I would say, however, it would be a good move on your part to review the rating code and your last award dbq for your disability. Make note if they don't do things that they were supposed to do for a complete exam. If the results are what you want, then don't say anything about the exam. If they try to low ball you, you use it as a challenge. 

5 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

DBQ in Blue Button once it is submitted so that is a benefit.

I do like that.

6 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

unless you anticipate that they are going to challenge that your back has gotten better

Actually this is from a complaint from a bad QTC exam (I had posted this under a different post). I had called QTC and complained about the exam and the person from QTC requested a new exam. QTC thought they would be doing the exam but obliviously the VA is going to re-exam me.

I will make sure they perform the exam the correct way, I want them to perform the repetition to see how after words my ROM is reduced even more. (I may be naive with what I am thinking).

This all started when I had asked for an increase. I am currently rated at 20% for IVDS.

Paul,

I have had lots of experience with C/P exams at my Local VA.  My experience with VA employed doctors doing c/p exams has been mixed.

I had one female NP do an exam concerning my left knee, and her reasoning for recommending  denial was out in left field. I challenged her findings and was given another exam by an LHI contractor. Ironically, this same female NP  was assigned to do a C/P exam for my heart,  I raised stink, and ended up seeing another examiner. 

I had C/P  exams for TBI, Laryngitis with Dysphonia, hearing loss, Sleep apnea, & COPD.   In all cases except hearing loss, my claims were decided in my favor. 

Hearing loss is a different animal, depending on the examiners,  I think they fudge the  results so that it is almost impossible to get a compensate rating. Otherwise , I have found that overall that VA employed C/P examiners are fair. In fact two examiners were veterans themselves and  I felt that they went out of their way to make sure I was service connected for both my COPD and Sleep Apnea. 

The other thing about a VA employee doing the exam at a VA Hospital is that the exam will be available 3 days later for you to download from you medical records. Doing an exam with a contractor will really stretch out the time when trying to get a copy, I know because I am still waiting on  copies of  3 different c/p exams by the LHI contractor completed in Jan and Feb of this year.

My suggestion, just be yourself and answer questions truthfully,   don't volunteer any information  ,  keep you answers short and too the point... Also answer the questions as if the day of the exam is one of your worse days... one final point, when asked to bend over, or side to side,  go slowly and don't be jumping up and down from the exam tables. Some doctors watch how you act, and try to determine if your movements fit your words.....

Best of luck,  I am praying for you that things go your way.

7 minutes ago, Richard1954 said:

My suggestion, just be yourself and answer questions truthfully,   don't volunteer any information  ,  keep you answers short and too the point... Also answer the questions as if the day of the exam is one of your worse days... one final point, when asked to bend over, or side to side,  go slowly and don't be jumping up and down from the exam tables. Some doctors watch how you act, and try to determine if your movements fit your words.....

I will take it slow and let them know my issues on my worse day, as we know we do have our good days and bad days. I will make sure they know I will stop bending as soon as it starts to hurt (which does not take much). As long as they do the ROM after the three repetitions they will find out I am in an unfavorable position.

I am a little nervous but will be calm for the exam. Unfortunately I am cynical when it comes to the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul, "Unfortunately, I am cynical when it comes to the VA."

You have nothing to worry about. I took this off the VA website "

These values — Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, and Excellence — define our culture and strengthen our dedication to those we serve. They provide a baseline for the standards of behavior expected of all VA employees. They remind us and others that “I CARE”:

• I care about those who have served.
  • I care about my fellow VA employees.
  • I care about choosing “the harder right instead of the easier wrong.”
  • I care about performing my duties to the very best of my abilities"

So, as you can see, you have NOTHING to worry about!!!