VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA rating for neck pain

Rate this question

lmholmes11

Question

Hey guys. I am already rated for TBI and residuals of TBI migraine headaches. My neck really hurts at times like i cant go side to side all of the way like i used to. I'm assuming its as a result of the IED my vehicle hit in Iraq, or migraines. When I go on ebenefits and continue my claim, what should i call that? Im not sure what the condition is actually called. Just neck pain? Thanks

5 answers to this question

What neck condition are you diagnosed with? If you do not have a diagnosis, speak to your Dr., describe what is going on, and see what they say is the issue.  You can file a claim for "cervical strain," which is general neck pain, but it would be to your benefit to have a diagnosis first, as that is one of the Caluza elements:

1. Current diagnosis

2. In-service event (or something to secondary service connect to...)

3. A link between #1 and #2.

And, more importantly, you can start getting treatment for the condition. No reason to suffer.

I agree with nozzz's.  Order your cfile and see what the doctor diagnosed you with.  Then, with a diagnosis, you can check to see if the rating is correct, based on your documented symptoms, and, as nozz posted, you can check to see if you have the caluza elements.  NO diagnosis = no benefits.  

Your service treatment records from the IED incident may include a reference to a neck/cervical spine injury/issue. These should be in the C-file (as broncovet has rightly advised you to get), since you are already service connected for the TBI.  You should keep a copy of your STR's anyway (all of your medical records, actually).

Depending on what your records say, to include any treatments or complaints about your neck since the IED (from all sources, not just STR's, including private docs), you can decide to file for direct connection, or secondary to another service connected condition (or both). Of course for secondary, you would have to have sound medical reasons for the connection, provided by a medical professional.

If the neck issue is new, get yourself to a Dr. and get a diagnosis/treatment. They can help you figure out if it is a result of the IED (direct connection) or TBI/migraines (secondary connection), which will help you decide which direction you can take with your claim (if any-you may decide it is not related to your service, if it had not been an issue in the past).