VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Automotive Vehicle application.

Rate this question

Blueboy

Question

When I applied for a vehicle the first time,  due to disability, it took two years of back and forth on forms, who to talk to, and getting updates. I now am ready for a second vehicle and would like to know who should I go to to complete the 10-1394 so It doesn't get kicked back in my face a dozen times. On the form it says to bring it to your regional office.  But it doesn't say to whom. I'm also told that I will have to go through the VA drivers test to qualify. Who sets this up? Will the VA do it on their own, or do I have to initiate something? And what? After waiting for two years the last time, where can I get some help?10-1394-fill (1).

• HadIt.com Elder

That IS a question I would try out with Peggy. Why not? Anyone you call will just give you the run around anyway. Might as well start with her first.By the way, Blueboy, what part of the state you hale from? I'm from Ct. too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Peggy is the general info line the VA has: 1-800-827-1000. Not always reliable, or have timely info, but sometimes can provide a status.

Ok.. its really simple.. since you were already awarded the  vehicle grant and initial adaptive equipment by the rating authorities. 

You cannot add more than 2 vehicle to the adaptive vehicle program every 4 years. 

After the first grant, the VA will only pay for the adaptive equipment for any new or used vehicle.

The paper work goes to the person at your VA Medical Center that is responsible for the auto adaptive equipment. They are normally located in the Prosthetic Department.   If you are purchasing a new ramp van

then  you need to notify the responsible person prior to the purchase to make sure they are going to make payment for the $30,000 plus cost of the adaptive portion of the van. You will be responsible to pay for the

actual vehicle. Most of these vans new will cost $60,000 or more.

If you are purchasing any vehicle other than a ramp van, you don't need to do any checking. You purchase the vehicle and then submit the paperwork to the adaptive equipment person and they will verify the

paperwork is correct and then it gets forwarded to the regional office in your state where they make the final approval and payment.  

So.. let me be clear.. if you purchase a ramp van the va will pay for the lowered floor and ramp system, as well as any wheelchair docking systems... they pay this directly to the vender

Depending on your disability, you may be reimbursed for power steering, power brakes, air conditioner, automatic windows, cruise control and other normal items that are considered adaptive equipment this

reimbursement will go directly to you.

You must provide a copy of the window sticker, bill of sale, registration, and copy of your drivers license. If you trade in a vehicle that was in the program you must provide proof of the trade in, or sale of the vehicle .

"You must provide a copy of the window sticker, bill of sale, registration, and copy of your drivers license. If you trade in a vehicle that was in the program you must provide proof of the trade in, or sale of the vehicle ." This is confusing me. I won't get a window sticker. bill of sale, etc. until after  buy the vehicle. But I can't buy it unless it's approved. What do I send in with the initial form 10-1394?