Jump to content
  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

    I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

    Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • 0
Sign in to follow this  



I was recently awarded 100% P&T, retro back to 2010. 

The packet/award letter  was very vague as to what additional benefits I am enttitled to now except to say Chapter 35 benefits.

My questions are is it Champa, or Tricare that I am eligible for for me, my wife and two daughters?

Someone said that the Champa/Tricare would reimburse me for medical costs I have incurred going back to 2010....is this true? Because I have used a HSA with a family deductible over the years that is 5k...We pay out of pocket each year before anything is covered.

How do I apply for Champa/Tricare?

What other benefits am I entitled to and how do I apply for them.

Its just a little overwhelming after fighting the VA for years and years they just threw their hands up and said yep....you are now P&T 100%, but now I don't know where to start from this point and I am too embarrassed to just walk into a VFW hall to ask for help.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

If you have Tricare, it should apply to you and your dependents. CHAMPVA applies to dependents only and I believe it is the last payer.

Don't know how to apply to Tricare, but the VA mailed me a form to apply for CHAMPVA. More info here: https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/champva/

If you don't have an ID card yet, call the nearest military base and ask to speak with the ID card office. I say call first because I used some DEERS site lookup, found a reserve base near me, went there, but they said to go to a different base because they didn't offer that service. You can call 1-800-528-9522 and they can help you find a nearby location. https://tricare.mil/deers

Chapter 35 means college money for your dependents. My daughter is full time college student and gets a monthly stipend while in school. if she went less than full time, they would reduce it. I believe they can also pay for certain other programs. Info about it and applying found here: https://www.benefits.va.gov/VOCREHAB/Dep_Edu_Assist_Chapter_35.asp

Check with your state VA office or VSO. Some states may offer additional benefits such as homestead tax reduction/exemption, free/discounted college for dependents. It varies between states and their criteria.

Be sure to also check here on hadit and elsewhere about P&T benefits.

Don't feel embarassed to get help from a VSO. You served and got broken like the rest of us here. Not your fault. They are there to help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Ok... Tricare is for active duty and retirees only... so if your entitled to Tricare you would already have a retired ID card for your self and any family member 10 years or older.

I suspect, your not retired or you would not be asking the question.  Since you received chapter 35 benefits for your dependents your considered Permanent and total.  This makes you eligible for 

a military ID card for every member of your family 10 years or older,  this Id card entitles you to use the military commissary and Post/Base exchanges and the recreations facilities, or basically everything  the active duty gets, but not medical care. 

CHAMPVA  is for the dependents only .   I don't know much more about the program since I use tricare. If you have other insurance, the other insurance pays first, and what ever is left over, CHAMPVA  pays minus any deductible. 

Edited by Richard1954

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Ads

  • Our picks

    • Show your support with HadIt.com logo items. Only a few to start, t-shirts and ball caps coming https://hadit.com/shop/ Can holder, Coffee Mugs and Notebook currently come take a look and check back https://hadit.com/shop/

      • 0 replies
    • I was unable to find a reply box to your post.

      We have a full Agent Orange forum here.

      Many veterans (and even their survivors) have succeeded in getting a disability, not on the presumptive list, service connected due to their proven exposure to AO.

      Also Secretary Wilkie is considering a few new presumptives, but we have no idea if  he will even add any to the list.

      I wrote to him making a strong argument, as  to the potential for HBP to be added, as well as ischemic stroke and have prepared a personal claim based on the same report a veteran used at the BVA, who also had a strong IMO/IME, and the BVA recently granted his HBP as due to his exposure to AO in Vietnam.

      Most veterans with HBP were deemed as having "essential" - a medical term for no know cause- now we have a cause in Vietnam veterans---AO caused it.


      The report is here:


      On page 8 they found there is "Sufficient" evidence that AO caused HBP in Vietnam veterans.

      The BVA case and this report is also searchable in our AO forum.



      • 0 replies
    • I just received a deposit to my checking account. The description says VALG TREAS 310 TYPE: XXVA.
      I'm not sure who to ask about this deposit. I am concerned because I was not notified I would be receiving it.
      I retired from the Marines in 1997 with 10% disability. I've been receiving a separate disability payment from my regular retirement pay. This deposit is completely unexpected. thank you for any insight.
    • Independent Medical Opinions by Your Private Physician

      If you spend any time reading VA case law you’ll come across the phrase less likely, more likely than not and so on. In the VA Clinicians Guide for Disability Examination it lays out how these are weighted.
      • 1 reply
    • Yes 

      After a PTSD/Unspecific MDD Diagnose From the VA Dr's

      The gold standard for diagnosing PTSD is a structured clinical interview such as the Clinician-Administered PTSD Scale (CAPS-5). When necessary, the PCL-5 can be scored to provide a provisional PTSD DSM 5 diagnosis.

      Any clinical clinician such as MD ,Psychiatrist even a L.C.S.W. (Certified)can perform the Diagnostics Evaluation Employed by the the VA

      ...They just need to figure out your symptoms and put together a list of your symptom's that you possess or show from the evaluation...I am not 100% Sure just how they do this ?

      being I am not a Dr or clinical clinician 

      Once a Diagnoses of PTSD is given they try to set you up with a Therapist to help with your New dx And how to adjust or cope with the Anxiety and Depression the PTSD can cause.

        you learn the tools to cope with and depending how severe your symptoms are ? 

       They test /screen you with phychoeducational type therapy treatment usually at first.

       Warning  some of this therapy can be very rough on a Veteran  from holding on to guilt  from the trauma its self or you maybe in a  ''stuck point''from memories and guilt or from the stressor's or anything that reminds you of the trauma you endured.

      The therapy works  even if we think it don't,  I recommend Therapy for all PTSD Veterans  it could very well save your life once the correct therapy is in place and the Veteran makes all his Clinical Appointments.

      I still have Combat PTSD it probably will never be cured completely but we can learn the tools it takes to cope with this horrible diseases 

      even learning breathing techniques  Helps tremendously during a panic attact.

      I have guilt from the war in Vietnam  ( I ask my self what could I have done to make a better outcome/difference?..and also I am in what the therapist calls stuck points. working on that at present once a week for 90 minutes.  I am very fortunate to have the help the VA gives me and I am lucky I have not turned to alcohol or drugs to mask my problem.

      But I have put my family through a living hell with my angers of burst.and they all stood by me the whole time years and years of my family life was disrupted because of me and my children &spouse  never deserved it one bit.

      That's all I want to say about that.

      At least I am still around. and plan to be tell my old age dying day.
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines