VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IF WIDOW GETS ANY HELP FROM VA WILL?

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Veterans widow daughter ask me a question 

& the daughter called me  About her dad passed away about  24 Months ago...since he was not getting any VA Comp or have a claim in and never used the VA for anything

the daughter wants to know if her mom can get any help from VA Financial help?

he is was not service connected for anything NOR used the VAMC at the time of his death

i TOLD THEM THEY NEED HIS DD 214 and any medical records c-file from his military days. anything military related from injury in basic training or any old injury while he was in the military  ect,,,ect,,,,

he was in the Army back in 1956 served in Germany with Elvis   ok he got out in 1959...no injury reported or diseases reported while in military...he worked as a Truck Driver the rest of his life...

My response was unfortunately he was not eligible for VA benefits if he was never injured or had a disease while he was in the military and has no medical proof and later came down with a condition.

He was placed in a Nursing Home at the end of his life  while in the N.H . he had a BAD Stroke and died. on natural causes.

Now 24 months later his widow needs help for Aid & Attendance 24 hour care she can't care for her self she is on BOTH MEDICARE AND MEDICAID and lives in  HUD Apartment low income housing....her family is unable to care for her because  all are disable and hubbys work.

.Anyway I said I don't know a way to help if he was never injured or had a disease while he was in the military  and came down with a condition & with no medical records to prove anything..ONLY OPTION I MENTION IS IF HER MOTHER IS THIS BAD AND NO FAMILY CAN CARE FOR HER Nursing Homes seems most reasonable to me but that just my opinion and their option.

.I did tell them to contact a VSO in their city/county and see if the VA can offer any assistance what so ever?

but as for as I know  NO he will not be eligible for  these  DIC benefits from her dead veteran husband from the VA .

Also they ask if the VA did happen to help their Mother will she have to report the VA INCOME? Because she is getting two checks from Medicare and Medicaid.

I told them I was not sure but I would find out all this on Hadit and get back to them  but as for as my opinion I said I doubt VA will help. 

not to sound mean or anything but that's just the rules VA GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS.

Am I correct?

Edited by Buck52

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Unfortunately Buck, I am sorry to say I believe you are correct. I can't think of anything she would be eligible for. And if there were something,and I don't know what there could be from the VA, I should fully expect that it would be taxable. The only thing that comes to mind for VA benefits that is not taxable are disability bennies, and she would not possibly be eligible for that. If you do come across something, let us know. In Ct., we have a special state fund for war-time service veterans, that were honorable discharged, that meet income limitations. They can receive once a year financial assistance for mortgage,medical expenses, food, clothing and rent. There are, I believe, two other states, mid-west I think, that also have a similar benefit. Widows are eligible as well. It is under the American Legion as the state administrator for the fund. I do it and I do get many widows of older veterans. Helps them a lot as you can imagine.

Buck you are correct, from everything I am reading she can (if eligible) only receive DIC and SSDI or SSDI and SSI but not all three.  SSI is income based and in fact you can only have a maximum of $2,000 in the bank if single.

Like GB states her best bet would be to look at local charities or organizations for assistance. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks GB Army and Paul

She called me late last night and had went to see a VFW VSO. she took him his DD 214 AND His H.D.

The VSO went into the VBMS and found his C-file and said he does have some medical records in it  so it will be interesting to see what is in those records?

but I told the daughter not get her hopes up as for as the VA helping them?

...and as for as I can tell Texas has no special program like GB Mention..she may can get a fund raiser started up in her city.

but I doubt there is any programs out there that she can get help with other than the ones she already has.

I mention to the daughter for her to think about putting her mom in a STATE NURSING HOME if no family can stay wit her?

The cost of having a 24x7 caregiver is astronomical. 

It's sad I know, but these kind of problems do happen when we get older  this is why its good to have a future plan about when we reach our golden age years.  and being severely/profound disabled compounds the problem obviously.

I had a friend in Texas and her Aunt had a caregiver come in 2 - 3 times per week. I am not sure what the program was, she had no money except her SS. Have they asked social security to see if they may have a program that would assist her?

I found this link https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/paid-caregiver/texas.html (this is not a government website)

Texas Medicaid offers a waiver called STAR PLUS. A waiver is a Medicaid program that provides care services to individuals who do not live in nursing homes. The STAR PLUS waiver will pay for caregivers to come to one’s home and provide a variety of supportive services such as assistance with the activities of daily living (bathing, eating, grooming etc.). For certain services, STAR PLUS allows the care recipient to choose their own service provider / caregiver. STAR PLUS allows beneficiaries to choose family members to provide them with care. The state Medicaid program then pays that family member for doing so. The flexibility to choose one’s caregiver is referred to a “consumer directed care”.

I hope this helps.