VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why not start a new forum on children of AO exposed vets and grand children?

Rate this question

jamescripps2

Question

This WRDW News Investigates broadcast was aired on the 6:00 & 10:00 news in Augusta Ga. on 9/25/2019. This is the first of a series,  more will follow.

This link will work, click on the link, when page not found comes up, look five stories down on the right side of the screen and click on

I TEAM INVESTIGATES OFF SPRINGS. If you have trouble, see my next post in this thread.

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/I-TEAM-Could-the-children-of-those-exposed-to-Agent-Orange-at-Fort-Gordon-als

Edited by jamescripps2

"The veteran and his wife did try to make a claim for Agent Orange exposure but due to an error in his service dates at that time, the claim was denied. I was also told that the decision letter stated that Matt did not have spina bifida (I am going to be viewing all of the documents saved over the years soon to get a clearer picture as to what happened). As far as I know, attempts to look into the issue have been unfruitful for them after the denial."

Can you get their permission to scan the denial and attach it here, Cover the C file # , name, etc prior to scanning it.

"VA benefits for children with spina bifida

Children who have spina bifida (except spina bifida occulta) and meet the following requirements may be eligible for VA compensation, health care, and vocational training:

• Are biological children of Veterans who served:
    • In Vietnam or Thailand during the period from January 9, 1962 through May 7, 1975, or
    • In or near the Korean demilitarized zone between September 1, 1967 and August 31, 1971 and were exposed to herbicides. Veterans who served in a unit in or near the Korean demilitarized zone anytime between September 1, 1967 and August 31, 1971 are presumed to have been exposed to herbicides
  • Were conceived after the date on which the Veteran first entered Vietnam, Thailand, or the Korean demilitarized zone during the qualifying service period

Learn more about benefits for children with birth defects and how to apply.

Research on spina bifida and herbicides

The Health and Medicine Division (formally known as the Institute of Medicine) of the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine concluded in its report, Veterans and Agent Orange: Update 1996 Summary and Research Highlights, that there is limited or suggestive evidence of an association between exposure to herbicides used in Vietnam and spina bifida in children of Vietnam Veterans.

View more research on health effects of Agent Orange."

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/birth-defects/spina-bifida.asp

I have see BVA denials of this type of claim because the medical records revealed the Spinal Bifida was of the "occulta" type and, as far as I know, that regulation has never been changed.

So there are 2 issues here- the VA must be informed of the proper service dates. I assume this error generated a DD 215. The VA will need to have copies of both  and the second thing they will need is medical evidence that your friend has spinal Bifida but not of the occulta type. I assume he has been treated continuously for this by private doctors, who could possibly prepare an IME based n his private records.

The surviving spouse might have a basis for DIC. 

What did the death Cert contribute his death to ( The prime and secondary causes on the death certificate) and was an autopsy done. and if so does she have a copy of it?

Did he have any service connected conditions in his lifetime and did he ever claim a AO presumptive, but was denied in a past VA decision?

The actual denial will reveal if a CUE occurred,but there is not enough info here to determine that.

VA would not be responsible for a DD 214 error.DOD changes that stuff.

AO has been the most important issue of my life-long before I had a dog in the fight.Circa 1991.  And it Still is- I am fully prepared to help BWN AO vets and their survivors ,and have helped a few already, although the Secretary has put a stay on their claims. I have asked those who I found at a AL site and also an AARP site,to join us here.

and Yes, any way at all you can get the family access to his records, on line, should be very helpful.

I wonder if he ever mentioned seeing a vet rep to his wife and if so, what vet org and where. If he gave a vet rep ( or VSO) his POA within the last few years they definitely should still have some info on him or be able to get it for his widow. I got my whole former POA file in just a few days long ago.

• Founder

Added Children/Spouses of Agent Orange Veterans as a sub forum under Agent Orange, refresh your page and look under Agent Orange here’s a link https://community.hadit.com/forum/155-childrenspouse-of-agent-orange-veterans/ 

Post your questions and answers and start building your knowledge base.

OK, the link failed to connect, so, lets do this the hard way. Hopefully an admin can allow the link and fix or re do it.

Type into a google search, or copy and paste the below words into a google search.

agent orange fort gordon wrdw news james cripps

then scroll down 5 articles to I TEAM INVESTIGATES OFF SPRINGS

when it comes up you can click on the video and/or read the text article.

I do it all for you and I hope that I am not violating any of hadit's rules by posting this important information.

This is the first broadcast of a series. I will post as they become available.

Edited by jamescripps2

I had no problems pulling it up Jim:

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/I-TEAM-Could-the-children-of-those-exposed-to-Agent-Orange-at-Fort-Gordon-also-be-affected-by-the-toxin-561359041.html

Perhaps the news outlet would consider a comment section instead of a forum, as the American Legion did.

When the HR299 story broke in AL news  around 2-3 months ago  ,there have been since ,over 100 comment entries there and many of them are mine trying to help Blue Water Navy vets or their survivors- Ed Ball also was a commenter ( well known AO advocate) and I did give them our link here many times but do not know if any  one joined yet.

Gee I am glad I checked the AL site - there were two more BWN AO vets questions there----I gave them our web site info again.....I don't have the time to really help them there because what they need to know is here.

Sec Wilkie expects 130,000 BWN AO  claims- I assume that includes widows of BWN and if no living widow, it means the veteran's adult children.