VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim for increase

Rate this question

chamilton

Question

Hello everyone! My question is this

I'm working a claim for increase on several back and joint issues. I have never received care outside a VA hospital or military base. From meps to present I don't have a private doctor or any civilian records. One of the last tabs on the online claims form is a blank BDQ for my private doc to fill out.i don't have a private doc. Can I leave that blank and submit my claim? Suggestions are greatly helpful. I have a couple lay statements as well that I uploaded this morning

Edited by chamilton

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sure you can submit your claim.  However, to be successful, you will have to have documentation of an increase in symptoms.  This documentation can come from a private doc, or VA physician, but lay statements wont cut it.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Chamilton  As Bronc points out you need to submit medical evidence that your conditions have gotten worse. This can be accomplished by just submitting a claim for an increase and letting the VA system determine thru a C&P exam if your conditions have changed. You you can also get your own independent medical eval and submit with your request. I would suggest going to https://militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/search.php   and finding out what criteria is used to evaluate your symptoms and try to estimate objectively if you feel your conditions have worsened. You can then better determine what a new rating could possibly be. But understand that if you enter this process without any medical evidence of your own, you are at the mercy of the VA examiner at the C&P. Back and joint issues are rated mostly on how well you can extend and bend, so if you submit an objective opinion from another doc, it is much more likely to result in a favorable outcome for you. Do your research on getting a medical eval from the outside source and see if it makes sense to you from a financial cost point of view. You are then in a better position to figure out your next move. 

• HadIt.com Elder
21 hours ago, chamilton said:

Hello everyone! My question is this

I'm working a claim for increase on several back and joint issues. I have never received care outside a VA hospital or military base. From meps to present I don't have a private doctor or any civilian records. One of the last tabs on the online claims form is a blank BDQ for my private doc to fill out.i don't have a private doc. Can I leave that blank and submit my claim? Suggestions are greatly helpful. I have a couple lay statements as well that I uploaded this morning

chamilton

you have got some great advise from GB Army & broncovet,

You might try looking on Myhealthevet for medical records (progress notes) if the VA is your only medical provider ,Make copies of those they are good records to submit with your increase ,especially if they have mention to you that your back/joint condition's have got worse  or upped your pain medications, ? 

As mention you will need a Dr to opine your condition is worse , if you have no private Dr   then ask your VA PCP if he will fill out the DBQ .(Some VA PCP's will and some won't?_ just have to request nicely if he/she will fill out the DBQ (Good Luck with that) or your VA Dr in the speciality clinics that over see your Back condition  all you can do is ask them be honest with them and let them know your asking for an increase on your back/joint conditions.

you can submit your lay statements  but they really need to be notarized and from someone that has known you for a long time  like family and good friend.

They just need to give there testimony that your medical conditions seems to have got worse  from being around you  and they might mention that they are not Dr's  but have visualized & you seem to have got worse with your medical conditions. ....>  they do take lay statements if they seem truthful /honest and sincere,

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Now if the VA Doc's won't help  then about your only choice  is to find a private Qualified  Dr (in this field of medicine) and one that is Veteran friendly , he needs to read your VA Medical records about your conditions you have been diagnosed with from the VA and examine you and state in his professional opinion that your medical conditions have got worse over the last few years   the Dr can say I have examine this veteran and read his medical records &

It is my medical opinion ''is likely as not'' that his medical conditions due to the progression of this condition/disease has indeed worsen .

These are called IMO/IME (Independent Medical opinions (Independent medical examinations)

(Impression letter)about the progression of your medical conditions.

Unfortunately they maybe quite expensive  but well worth every penny  if they get your increase  and some times these increase may lead to the 100% rates  or place you on TDIU P&T which pays out at the 100% rate with all the extra benny's

Not knowing what your rated for now? but if your service connected and getting compensation   you maybe entitled to the above   especially  if your conditions keep you from working  or doing any type of work.

Edited by Buck52

5 hours ago, chamilton said:

Why would I need yo make copies of medical records and send them in? If my one and only records are with the VA system.

You wouldn't need to make any copies, just advise the va that your only treatment is by the VA.