VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living Program Questions

Rate this question

brandon-n-lisa

Question

I am a disabled veteren rated 60% with TDIU. I was previously rated at 40% and spent 2 years in Voc. Rehab. and recieved my Associates, but was unable to finish my Bachelors. I received a computer from the V.A. when I was on Voc. Rehab.

I was wondering if I would still be eligable for any other programs similar to VR. I think I have heared of it refered to as Independent Living or something like that. It seems I remember Vets basically getting set up in a hobby. Like if the Vet liked woodworking, then the V.A. would get them the tools, materials, etc. to do it.

Does anyone know anything about programs like this, or if you have experience with this type of program, can you let me know what you did (i.e. woodworking, art, etc.) and what the VA provided for you?

Thanks for answering my questions.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Guest rickb54

brandon- n- lisa,

the short answer is yes.. it is possible....

I have had two previous periods of vocational rehabilitation, the first one I attended college, but quit to support my family.

the second period I had an independant living service program that paid for 3 computer classes, and a cheap E-Machine computer with printer.

When I lived in Texas in Feb 05, I request another independant living service program, and was disapproved, the disaproval told me what I had to do to get approval.

I had to prove that my medical conditions had gotten worse, and that another program of independant living service would help me to become more independant in my daily living. For me this was an easy task, because by this time I was in a wheel chair, and had been rated for addition disabilities, and had some of my ratings increased. I moved to Georgia before my progam started, it was to have consisted of tools for a wood working shop. However since my move to Georgia my program has not yet started, (I moved in Oct 05). That is because now the va is trying to find contractors to do some handicapp remodeling for home, as part of my independant living program. I finally have estimates, but the va takes it sweet time.

Anyway... yes it is possible

You need to download a copy of M21-1MR. Vocationa Rehabilitation. Also M28-1 vocational Rehabilitation and chapter 31 , especially M28-1 part II change 7 . These will get you started.... ( there are alot more references than these)

hope this helps

rick,

Thanks for the answers. I think you have pointed me in the right direction. Of course maybe I should reconsider the whole hobby/woodworking thing. My garage is already cram packed with so much junk, I don't know where I would have the room to work on anything!