• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

140%
    $2,108.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Newbie ER experience, timeline from enrollment, tips for new IMHO

In 30 days, from enrollment, I have had my initial appointment, a disappointment, then after some research and a few phone calls, I think I found the answer.  

See a social worker before your appointment if possible, or at a minimum ask to see the social worker ASAP. Ask a lot of questions, get a lot of answers. Have a list of what you want FROM the doctor, don't wait for him to offer anything, you will run out of time.

When my questions were interpreted as a complaint, I got to talk to a social worker and I was set up for the 9 referrals that I wanted to start off with. 

Two of them are actually set up as appointments now and another 4 or so show up on MyHealtheVet as signed off and referred, and another two are still waiting signatures. 

One of the ones I requested I wasn't going to get fast enough. So, instead of waiting for this Doctor to get back from somewhere, I instead went to the ER at the VAMC. 

I was seen in 5 minutes, I was asked to sit in the waiting room for another 5 minutes, and then seen again. I was told I would be contacted with a referral with a Dermatologist in a few days to a week to set up an appointment. 

This was yesterday, I was woke up this morning with a phone call to make an appointment for general surgery for lesions removal on Nov 13, or I could choose local care.  I let them set up the VAMC.  

I am trying to find out if the VAMC has MOHS.

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/skin-cancer/what-is-mohs-surgery

I decided to give it a few days to see what pops up on the web, and if I get any more calls.  And to investigate who does the local stuff. Any tips appreciated. 

I wanted to tell NEW people searching to see if VA medical care is something to try or not.  I have not made up my mind yet, I am exploring, although I admit, I just took a deep dive in the far end of the pool. The infrastructure is there. As someone who has spent more than 16 weeks at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN in the last 8 years, the VA has an impressive set of tools available, at least in my area.  I have NOT had enough of those tools touch me yet to decide if they know, and/or are willing to use them enough and/or appropriately.  I intend to find out in the short run. 

I held out the most important specialty, neurology to Mayo Clinic only, for this trial period. 

The biggest TIP: Prepare for the first appointment, KNOW what to ask for.  MY mistake was to let the Dr. Drive

I have hope, that things are changing on the Medical side of the VA for everyone. I am giving it a chance.

Edited by ToxicSgt73
correct date: spelling MOHS
  • Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 30 days, from enrollment, I have had my initial appointment, a disappointment, then after some research and a few phone calls, I think I found the answer.   See a social worker before your app

• HadIt.com Elder

Good info!

I have no idea what MOHRS is... Others might...

7 minutes ago, Vync said:

Good info!

I have no idea what MOHRS is... Others might...

Vync, 

I know just a definition, no more than that.  It is a surgery process, where a lesion is removed one skin layer at a time, you sit there until they remove and do the pathology while you wait.  Supposively its the best thing going. The idea is that ONE and DONE. The surgeon keeps removing layers until they are satisfied its all gone.

Looks like at minimum....and that is BIG minimum.....I will be leaving with at least a hole in both arms.

Some VAMC have this in place, some don't. 

Much better than they did for me when they removed a lesion.  They used a punch.  I told the doctor he had gotten as far as he was going to get.  He asked me what that meant and I told him he was scraping my bone and I could feel it.  He was not happy to be talked to that way.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By green
      I had a fall about a month ago which resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER.  The bills are starting to come in, one I already paid.  I have no other insurance but was reading that the VA should pay for the associated medical bills.  Can anyone help me out here with some information?  I haven't had a trip to the ER for decades and have not a clue how the process is supposed to work for 100% vets.
      Thanjk you very much!
    • By CGMedic17
      Hello All!
      My name is Cris, and I served 4 years active duty in the USCG as a BM3. I am here on the recommendation of a co-worker who has had a lot of success in his claim with the VA and he suggested I do the same, stating you need an airtight case.
      I am a 30 year old male who suffers from low back pain, which started towards my last 2 years in the CG. I was on small boats my entire career, was a Boarding Officer, Coxswain and Heavy Weather boat crewman. Daily, getting out of bed is rough, taking some time "to get the kinks out." I believe a lot of this has been caused by bouncing around in a small boat for 4 years wearing all of the equipment we were required to. I do not have much documentation of my injury when I was in, with it being attributed to 'wear and tear.'  As I stated, my co-worker has had great success in these forums with his claim, and I am hoping to have the same. I have been seeing a chiropractor for some time now and seem to get little relief from it but nothing of significance. 
      I am unsure of a few things... 1. I currently work as a career firefighter/ paramedic and my body has been put through the ringer, does this put me at a disadvantage with a claim? 2. Do I even have a case? even though they could chalk up my injury to my current job with no previous documentation? 3. Where would I even begin? 
      Any and all help is wanted and appreciated! Thank you in advance and stay safe!

• By chapter61
      I have a new Mental Health treatment person that is a Physician's Assistant. During my first session with her she wanted to change medication I had been taking for 20 years. I am stable and happy with the treatment and when I asked her what we were hoping to achieve her only explanation was that one of my medication had a "low" dosage. I pointed out that my dosage was 20 mg (divided doses) and the monograph said therapeutic dosage was 15-30 mg (divided doses) she was visibly annoyed that I knew about the medications I was on.
      Do I have any rights to request a genuine MD? If so is there anything in writing that supports that?
      Thanks
    • By Vync
      This is mostly venting, but I bet I am not the only person who went through this:

Background:
      About six months ago I asked the VAMC PCP for an MRI referral. I needed to schedule some cervical and lumbar pain blocks and the docs needed to know which vertebral levels to inject. After a nightmare dealing with a moron PCP the VAMC, I got the first MRI three months later, but only for lumbar. I switched PCP docs.

Now:
      After seeing my new PCP, I was told they would schedule me for the other MRI. After three months, I never was called or received an appointment letter in the mail. I called the PCP nurse and was told I needed to come back and see the doc before having the appointments made. What? I called the Patient Rep. A few days later, I get a call stating they could get me scheduled toward the end of December. I told them I was waiting since June. Last week, the lady calls me back an hour later stating they could get me in if I showed up (today) at 6:45 am for a 7:00 am appt because they will have a tech arrive early. Not true. I waited 45 minutes before being called back. The tech said he doesn't know why they do that to us vets because they know he does not show up for work until 7:30 am.
    • By MarkInTexas
      Does anybody know if there is a minimum distance for travel reimbursement to and from a C&P examination? Maybe like a 50 mile radius or something? Just wondering. Y'all have a great weekend.

Mark
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines