VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Pay for EED

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I was recently awarded an earlier effective date from 7/2/2019 back to 9/18/2015 for SA. I have already received one check but I do not believe it is enough, I believe it is a few thousand low. I got the check last week.

I am also retired military, I should have been awarded some back pay because I went from 40% to 70% (40% is appx $700 per month). Will this come in a separate check or do I need to ask the VA for an audit on how they determined my retro pay? Or do I need to give it still more time for all the possible retro pay to come in?

Also if I do ask for a audit for the retro pay which form do I request it on?

3 answers to this question

First, go to the retro calculator to recheck your figures.  While Im a math guy, its somewhat complicated.  First, pay goes up mostly each year for Cola, and they compensate Vets "the old" rates.  

Then you have to adjutst for dependends, when kids turn 18, etc.  And, you have to pay back whatever they compensated for you in the past since its an increase.  

There is more.  You have to know that effective date means your payments start the first day of the month Following your effective date.  (Because compensation is paid in arrears..the Va does not pay you for future disability, only past disability)  

In sum, just check the retro calculator:

https://cck-law.com/va-disability-retro-calculator/

11 minutes ago, broncovet said:

First, go to the retro calculator to recheck your figures.

Thanks bronco I will. I need to check my dates on when percentages changed to input all the dates. Since the effective date is 9/18/2015 the start date would be 10/1/2015, is this correct or should it be 11/1/2015?

Do you know does the VA or DFAS pay the back pay where I should have received my full retirement check?

Yeah doing Retro math isnt cut and dry. You have to look at each years rates, your rate for that year then the new rate. You're a retiree that's even more double speak.

You haven't learn Latin yet, it is definitely easier.

edit below

"quo vadimus"

Edited by Oceanbound