VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Friendly Podiatrist

Rate this question

Cynthia Coleman

Question

I live in the Hampton Roads section of Virginia. Does anyone know of a Podiatrist that is familiar with the Va claims procedures? In particular, writing a nexus letter and completing a DBQ. My doctor has diagnosed me, but has no idea of what a nexus letter is. I don't want to push her or ask het again. I really need some suggestions. 

20 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Cynthia I don't know how far you are to the Navy base, but there should be a select few that do letters and exams just based on proximity to military retirees.

GB my experience has been that the military doctors won't write IMO for retirees. There are several Navy bases in the Hampton Roads area but they won't write them, I do believe they will write them for active duty who are about to get out of the military.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's interesting. Why do you suppose that is Paul. You would think there would be a ready-made customer base from the retirees just living in the area after they get out. I'm sure you are right, but it seems odd. Unless, of course, if the VA uses them as contractors somehow for VA work. Then they wouldn't bite the hand that feeds them, so to speak. Interesting indeed.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:20 PM, Cynthia Coleman said:

I live in the Hampton Roads section of Virginia.

Cynthia...I live in the same area. Did you ask your podiatrist what caused your issues? For example did you ask the doctor is my foot problem because of the marching I did in the military or because of my ankle problem? I have had luck getting the doctors to add that to their medical notes and then submitting that with my claim. Have you had a C&P yet for your feet? I ask because I have found that the doctors/NP/PA have been sympathtic for my claim. Of all my claims I have only had two bad C&Ps with these civilian doctors. 

The links that Bronco, Ocean, and Vetquest provided are awesome, I did not know they exsited. I am looking at them to see if there is one I can use for a claim.

My PCM at Ft. Eustis (Hampton Roads area) told me that they don't write them for retirees because the VA has been given bilions of dollars to write them. I told my PCM that they really are not vet friendly (not all but the majority) and it can be hard to get them to write one. He did not seem to care. My PCM said they only write them for those who are retiring or getting out of the military. Now I thought that stinks but was at least glad they wrote them for the active duty military.

You need a copy of your military service treatment records that indicate complaints, symptoms, or diagnosis for the condition you are filing a claim for.

If you have already filed a claim, the VA is supposed to get those records and you will need to request a copy by filing a Privacy Act Request with the VA.

VA Claims Insider assists veterans in getting nexus letters.

They have their own network of medical providers that provide IMOs.

The VA has their network of providers and you need your own network of medical providers to offset the bad C&P examiners the VA uses.

You can find VA Claims Insider on Facebook and YouTube.

Edited by 63Charlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't doubt what he said to you, but that is bs. If the reason he doesn't write them is because the VA has doc's who do, what is his point? If it frees up time for the VA doc's to do other (more important) stuff, wouldn't that be a good thing? He didn't seem to care that the VA doc's don't do a good job because, he doesn't like doing it and can understand that the VA doc's don't like it either. In other words, he doesn't want to be bothered. It's nothing about some higher moral value he has. It's like that now; they are under too much stress to get patients pushed through the system so insurance will pay them, including their daily quota. No comp to them for helping a veteran  patient.IMO