VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fighting past 100% for P&T?

Rate this question

DivComms

Question

I'm currently rated 100%. However, I am not P&T. I was wondering if it made sense to seek increases in some of my conditions to see if that would cause my rating to turn P&T or to wait it out a few more years?

I recently had my 2 year evaluation and the only thing they checked was my back condition and my rating (40%) was maintained.

Do note that I am confident in my 100% rating and would not be worried about it being reduced.

6 answers to this question

I would have to know more to advise you.  

1.  How long have you been rated?  What is your age? If you are young, chances are better you can heal.  

2.  Do you have evidence that your condition is permanent?  

If you are over 50, you have been rated 5 years, and you have evidence that your condition is permanent, by all means go for it.  

However, if you are 25, you got rated six months ago, and there is no evidence that its permanent, not so much.  

You don’t need an increase to be p/t, just that your conditions Are not likely to improve. Duration of your disability and the results of your periodic evaluations will contribute to this.

Contrary to popular belief, VA benefits do NOT max out at 100 percent.  The link below shows the max of about 9000 per month with SMC.  

Disability of "eyes" is one of those on the SMC list, which would entitle you to additional compensation.  Of course, I dont know how severe your issues are.  

https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources_comp02.asp

Alex explains the compensation above 100 percent (SMC) here:

https://asknod.org/tag/va-smc-mr-potatohead/

4 hours ago, broncovet said:

I would have to know more to advise you.  

1.  How long have you been rated?  What is your age? If you are young, chances are better you can heal.  

2.  Do you have evidence that your condition is permanent?  

If you are over 50, you have been rated 5 years, and you have evidence that your condition is permanent, by all means go for it.  

However, if you are 25, you got rated six months ago, and there is no evidence that its permanent, not so much.  

1. Been rated for 2 years for most of my conditions. Recently got two conditions that were previously denied service connected. Mid 30s.
  2. My conditions have remain static at least in my eyes for the past decade.

Thanks. You did help me understand the idea of permanent. So me getting increases really wouldn't matter unless those increases were to show that my conditions had become permanent.

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

Contrary to popular belief, VA benefits do NOT max out at 100 percent.  The link below shows the max of about 9000 per month with SMC.  

Disability of "eyes" is one of those on the SMC list, which would entitle you to additional compensation.  Of course, I dont know how severe your issues are.  

https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources_comp02.asp

Alex explains the compensation above 100 percent (SMC) here:

https://asknod.org/tag/va-smc-mr-potatohead/

Thanks for the links.

You could look at it from the perspective that while an increase in rating would help financially, it may be counter-intuitive to getting a static rating for P/T because the condition is obviously changing. I waited for several years until my conditions no longer were increasing anymore. I first applied to VA in 2002, and in 2015 was collectively at a 90% and unemployable. At that point I asked for P/T status and they just raised me to 100% P/T. I had been at 70-90% for about 7 years at that point. Worst, all you can do is ask, though I would make sure you have a pretty strong record of attending appointments, counselings (if relevant to you), etc so you have a clinical record showing no improvement for a good period of time. Best of luck to you!