VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

joe martin

Rate this question

joe martin

Question

Claim approved you say? Wait for it to show up in your mailbox. Don't watch the paint dry or the grass to grow or pot that has yet to boil. Find a habit and live life

if you check ebenefits/vagov multiple times a day youre going to be getting the VA disease. Unless you want grey hair, no hair, winkles from stress. SURE you can send an email in seconds but the real world still operates in the real world. Then you have the RO.

I lawyered up and no longer check ebenefits/vagov (mainly because I forgot my password and need to make the trip to the RO to create new password and only will do so if I am in the area, fat chance that i will plan a trip to it) 

• HadIt.com Elder

They usually show up after a decision has been made  once the decision has been made it should show up the next few days   none os know exactly when they will show up ? if you use a VSO/DAV he should send you a  unofficial letter in the mail before the R.O. Sends it out. IF YOU THINK ITS GETTING CLOSE CHECK EVERY OTHER DAY ON EBENEFITS

GB Army and Paul , I been thinking about going for increase  on my 70%PTSD,  I was checking Myhealthevet *notes* And a physiatrist that seen me  via video teleconference (not C&P) just a therapy session because they had no Dr's to see me and my VA Phyistrist was on Vacation...anyway this Dr mention my Depression and PTSD night mares and sweats have worsen  .....and laid out a plan for me that I agreed to.

so I was thinking I may ask for an increase?  if  I am worse?

I also want to file a secondary Sleep Apnea Claim secondary to my PTSD,,,VA MH sent me to the sleep clinic because I stopped breathing in my sleep according to my spouse  I have no records of sleep disturbance on file during my military days  other than I snored a lot via buddy roommate, (he is deceased now)...anyway I did the sleep study at a private faciality and they diagnose me with mild sleep apnea  and VA prescribe me a C-PAP machine to use  this was in 2015...I been using the C-pap ever since  I just have never filed a claim for Sleep Apnea secondary to my PTSD?  YET..what all would I need to submit with my claim /claims?

or should I even file?

Iam 190% service connected For 90% for hearing loss (TDIU P&T) For the last 17 years  and 10% for tinnitus.

2015 Won my PTSD Claim (combat PTSD From Vietnam) ALMOST 50 Years ago  eh!! ..I always had it but was in denial I had it  until my wife had enough  she mention it to my PCP and then PCP sent me to MH...Anyway sent my service /medical records in  & they gave me 70% with the TDIU P&T  MADE ME 100% AS IN FINAL   DEGREE RATING (ITS ON EBENEFITS)  So my Depression and PTSD has worsen according to this VA-Phyistrist that seen me in the tele-vedeo confrance  at the MH Clinic.

Do you guys think I should try to file for increase? and file a Sleep Apnea Claim secondary to my PTSD?

i DON'T Think theres any more money in the pot  I already get 2 SMC's  S &K.

What y'all think???  I am still pondering what to do  I am not sure I want anymore stress with the VA.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder
7 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

Remember GB change is supposed to be good for us...lol

Paul

I worked for my boss and he used to say "change is good" at least once a month. The last time I remember he said it at a meeting, and two weeks later, you guessed it, we had a layoff!

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck, I  want to get this straight: you are rated at 100% plus 2 additional SMC's. I am not good at SMC stuff; really hard for me to get all the factors straight. What is your motivation to do go higher? You was granted what rating in 2015 for your PTSD? It sounds like your doc is saying things are worse for you so it wouldn't appear that they would be looking to knock it down, but you never know about the VA. Sleep apnea is probably an easy trip if you gained weight because of PTSD meds, though you need an IMO from a doc to confirm that for a secondary. That would be rated at 50% with a doc's requirement for a CPAP. What does VA math do for you with an additional 50%? If you can get a bump on your PTSD of say, 10%, what does that do for you? If you are awarded 70% and then boosted to 100% TDIU at your age, if it truly is P&T, is it worth it just for your wife to get Champva and/or education benefits? You probably are safe now for your rating. If they call you in for a C&P out of the blue, you could always submit new claims then. It really gets down to what are you trying to accomplish; I think moderate risk, low reward to me.IMO

Buck, if it was me I might file for the SA.  I also have 70% PTSD and SA but mine is severe.  As far as asking for an increase in PTSD you can only go to 100% and that is usually a tall order.  I would think you are pretty safe but we never know what evil lurks in the RO.  If you stress when filing a claim I might say "oh hell" and stand pat.  My advice is only worth what you paid for it though.  Good luck in your decision.

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

I been thinking about going for increase  on my 70%PTSD

I have to be honest with you Buck that is a tough one. I do beieve you will get the increase and also be awarded SA as secondary to PTSD.  As you say there probably won't be anymore money in the pot. As we know whenever we file a claim we run a risk of being reduced (as sad as that is) but I truly don't believe you need to worry about that. If filing a new claim does not drive you crazy then go for it.  Always remember Buck no matter what you decide it will be the right decision.

I am currently fighting with the VA over a proposal to reduce so for me I am a little gunshy as far as filing a new claim. I currently have three claims pending and once they are done I probably won't file any new ones unless I have a heart attack, my BP is high and I know it has played havak on my heart. The reason for it is because if I die from a heart attack I want my wife to be eligible for DIC.