VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA Grant Wait time....

Rate this question

LJM

Question

March 2010 claims filed 

2011 NOD 

Jan 8, 2019 BVA Judge

June 10 - 4 grants, 3 remands, 3 denials 

This whole wait is because the Atlanta RO couldn’t determine whether my husband, a SSG in 1st RGR BN ever served in combat for service connection. Baffles me to this day. Nonetheless, almost a decade into this I am finding that the retro for the grants will take at least another year or more. I am curious as to anyone who can shed some light on their experience and or timeline. 
We do not have a lawyer. The American Legion is who represented him. We were told law offices slow you down in the process by many veterans. The American Legion has sent his denials to a law firm that has contacted to help with that part of the BVA decision. We have contacted them to see if they have any insight to a timeline on the grant decisions and they said no. All leads resort back to the general Atlanta RO and they are never helpful. 
Thank you for taking your time to read this. 

If I could call for him I would call everyday. I know he gets agitated at the same response from the RO every time. I work in customer service and tell him that, eventually, he will get someone who cares and wants to help people. When he calls about the grants they give generic responses. I get why he doesn’t want to call everyday. 
We are not giving up. I assume he will have C&P’s for the remands one day. 
After he sends in the FL Friday I will have him call everyday to inquire. 
I know something good will come out of all this. 
Thank you for the information. It’s been a long hard road for most all veterans that have had to prove themselves and wait until they just don’t want to or can’t want anymore. 

• Lead Moderator
50 minutes ago, LJM said:

If I could call for him I would call everyday. I know he gets agitated at the same response from the RO every time. I work in customer service and tell him that, eventually, he will get someone who cares and wants to help people. When he calls about the grants they give generic responses. I get why he doesn’t want to call everyday. 
We are not giving up. I assume he will have C&P’s for the remands one day. 
After he sends in the FL Friday I will have him call everyday to inquire. 
I know something good will come out of all this. 
Thank you for the information. It’s been a long hard road for most all veterans that have had to prove themselves and wait until they just don’t want to or can’t want anymore. 

is there a reason you can't call for him?

• HadIt.com Elder

LJM

I don't know if you can call for him either, but try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, try call the VAMC patient advocate and ask if you can be somehow added so they can provide info. Certainly this isn't a new problem with veterans dealing with the VA. Let us know.

He and I will be doing all of the above. Thanks to all of you! 
I have this fear that once we email the FL and have the congressman involved the VARO is going to get angry and rate him lower than they should. I really hope they don’t. I want to think the person rating cares about veterans and their lives.