VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New hearing test for tinnitus?

Rate this question

Kuwaitin08

Question

Yesterday I had a C&P exam for tinnitus and hyperacusis. During the appointment I was required to do a few hearing tests. One was the traditional listen for the beep’s and press the button, and one was the normal repeat the word but there was a new one I had never experienced. 
The audiologist placed something on my shoulder with a muff on one ear and inserted in earpiece into the other. The earpiece would beep at different frequencies and get progressively louder to the point of discomfort. The test would then be repeated on the other ear. 

Does anyone have any idea what that test is called or what it is supposed to measure?

Thanks

Edited by Kuwaitin08
Spelling issues

I looked online at videos about that test and what I had done is not a bone conduction test. It was strange. One of the muffs covered one ear while a earbud was inserted into the other. The earbud emitted beeps of different frequencies in volumes that got much louder as it went on. Both ears were done in this manner.

After the test was completed my tinnitus was very prevalent. I’m not sure if that was the intended result or not but it was kinda crazy how fast it flared up.

• HadIt.com Elder

Kuwatin08

You need to check the CFR  4.86.1 thru 4.88.a-1

The give the Hearing evaluation and also the conduction of the evaluation and what numbers are used  it's pretty well explained in these regulations. as the criteria for hearing loss compensation.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Also there is no testing for Tinnitus''  that is a sound only heard from the veteran so the veteran needs to let the Audologist doing the hearing test  about this sounds in your head  you describe the sounds to the Audologist and let them know...the sounds need to be consistent  you hear it all the time  and usually worse at night time when you go to bed/sleep...THESE SOUNDS IN YOUR HEAD/EARS is known as Tinnitus.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry I am not familiar with special needs hearing testing from the VA  

My thoughts were you have Noise Induced Bilateral Hearing loss.

Usually due to your MOS in military or you was around loud sudden noise.

if you are a combat Vet  then the noise from Gun Fire, Jet engines roaring, Hueys taking off /landing and IED  or mortar rounds exploding near by or maybe an equipment room with loud machines  ,

the noise from all these will cause noise induced hearing loss  as it damages the inner ear drums and may take years before hearing loss occurs  or enough for the veteran to notice it or others around you notice your bad hearing.

Hyperacusis is a highly debilitating hearing disorder characterized by an increased sensitivity to certain frequencies and volume ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to usual environmental sound).

Edited by Buck52