VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability PLUS VA

Rate this question

nancygail

Question

Hello,

I have a question that I'm sure the answer is on the forum somewhere but I'm unable to find it. We are going through a very difficult time with my husband who is 50% officially disabled but 100% technically. We are trying to get all his VA paperwork in to hopefully get him to 100%. In the meantime we are in fear of losing our home and getting utilities shut off. My question is, as a disabled vet can he apply for SSI disability? He's 61 and won't quality for normal social security for another year.  Any info would be helpful. I'm ill myself and trying to do the research on this which is difficult.  We need to get some type of income before things get really bad. I know applying takes a while but I need to start anything he might be eligible for. He can't work and can not drive easily. PTSD among other things.

I need to make sure I do things right and don't mess up his VA case...  

Thank you!

Nancy

7 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Okay

do you have Myhealthvet Account?

if he don't  he needs one bad, he can check all his medical notes from myhealthvet in the privacy of his home...he needs to look for favorable records that from what the Dr's put in those reports  mention, if he has a Dr that says he is unable to work due to his disease/injury  then he can file the FASTLETTER for IU with the VA  and its usually expedited.

do you guys have a VSO or Law Dog? (Attorney) you may want to think about that?

here is a # TO call for attorneys that may can help you  its NOVA 

(National Organization Veterans Advocates )

1775 Eye Street NW, STE 1150
Washington, District of Columbia 20006

202-587-5708

They can assist your hubby VA Claim and there help is Free. or if he wins then some may charge a fee from his Retro  but call them ask let them know your situation  they will explain and what all you need to do...your Hubby will definitely need his C-FILE and all medical records  but you tell them where to get them and they will, where VA May not. 

Hey Buck,

Yes he has a myhealthvet account. We've downloaded all his records and put together a packet. The only thing we're waiting to do is get a doctor letter which again... can't afford right now.  We're using the local DAV and started the process in Jan this year so we have till Jan 2020 to get it all in. The guy we're working with said he's never seen a packet as well put together as ours. So we're hoping that helps.

We were young and immature way back when he was given a medical discharge and didn't fight this as we should have. His health was severely damaged due to the events in the military and it changed the  course of our lives.  Our family has gone through incredible hardship which of course also affected our kids.  Due to the nature of stuff that happened back then I have severe PTSD myself. Just never had insurance for myself or our kids because he literally could not work. 

We're trying to see our home but behind on a payment and  you can't sell a home if its in arrears.  Looking for some sort of miracle to at least by us some time till the house sells or he gets approved. 

Thank you so much for the other info.  I'll print it and keep a copy just in case.

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay  well you guys will still need to wait on a decision,

You may want to contact your mortgage company and let them know what all is going on and being your hubby can't work and awaiting a decision from thje VA and see if they can provide you any assistance?

some times they will if you let them know you can catch up with mortgage when the retro comes in  if they won't work with you  check with your church and other churches to help, Let them know  you can repay the debt to them when your hubby receives his retro...  if its going to be at least a years retro  and he gets IU or a 100% rating that will go back to the date your hubby first filed  and for a years retro  with you as his dependent...at 3100.00 monthly that would be close if not more  37.000.00  you need to show prof that he has a claim or at least show them your hubby has a claim in..not so sure you will get help from the mortgage company tho. but also remember they may deuct the payment your hubby has been getting this will make the retro a lot less but still should be within the 16.000.20.0000 rage.

Its a shame a veteran may lose his home   some of us have lost everything and had to start over waiting on the VA TO APPROVE OUR BENEFITS...BUT THE RETRO IS NICE WHEN IT COMES IN  THEYTREATED YOU LIKE GOLD.....ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

i DON'T PUT MUCH HOPE WITH THE DAV

ALTHOUGH i HAVE USED THEM IN THE PAST,  THEY REALLY NEED TO GET YOUR HUBBYS CLAIMS SPEEDED UP AND EXPEDITED .

Edited by Buck52

You need to file for SSDI right now.  You will be sent to a doctor that will make a decision on his case.  Hopefully you get a good doctor. 

As far as your VA claim I might talk to a NOVA sanctioned lawyer and see if they will take your case.  In the mean time I would get on the DAV's case about a hardship claim.  

Is your husband a Nam Vet?  If he is, @asknod may be able to help you.  He is selective in the cases he takes but this one might interest him.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Nancygail Really good advise here, at least some glimmers of hope. You may have stated it before but what are his disabilities,rates, when was he in and what was his mos? The reason I ask is maybe he might have other disabilities you can s-c that you hadn't thought of. Just a long shot, but worth considering.For example, hearing and/or tinnitus. Did he serve in Vietnam, or Gulf War? There are presumptives that veterans don't think they qualify for because of time out of service. Try thinking outside the box a little.

Call your mortgage company right away like Buck says, they may be able to assist you. 

The advice above is good, try and follow it the best you can. Also look for disabilities that may be secondary to SC disabilities, such as a change in your gait because of a bad back and now you are having problems with your knees or hips. I personally have several disabilities that are secondary.

14 hours ago, nancygail said:

We're using the local DAV and started the process in Jan this year so we have till Jan 2020 to get it all in. The guy we're working with said he's never seen a packet as well put together as ours.

Since January of 2019 to put a claim together that you still have not filed is a long time, I understand about not being able to afford a doctor and all. Just don't wait to long to file, your husband might get a doctor for his C&P that will agree with what you have already put together. I have been awarded disabilities to where I only had a doctor state I have state I had arthritis in my hips and the C&P doctor made it secondary to my back. 

Always remember DAV or VSOs may be trying to assist you but no one has more interest in your claim than your husband and you do.

15 hours ago, vetquest said:

You need to file for SSDI right now.  You will be sent to a doctor that will make a decision on his case.  Hopefully you get a good doctor. 

As far as your VA claim I might talk to a NOVA sanctioned lawyer and see if they will take your case.  In the mean time I would get on the DAV's case about a hardship claim.  

Is your husband a Nam Vet?  If he is, @asknod may be able to help you.  He is selective in the cases he takes but this one might interest him.  

He was in from 1980 to 1988 stateside.  Thanks for the info.