VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Disabled Veterans Insurance

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am 100% P&T. I have called the toll free number for the VA life insurance and have been given conflicting information. The first person I spoke to said I am not eligible to apply for the waiver of premiums on a $10,000 life policy because I am working, the second person said I need to apply for the waiver and see what they say. He said I may or may not be given the waiver, he said you won't know until you apply.

Does anyone have the SDVI for $10,000 and is employed get the premiums waived? I only want to apply if the premiums will be waived. I am also under 65 and it has been less than 2 years since my last new disability.

Thanks

We'll, since the VA pissed me off yesterday, I'm back on this.

My scenario is a bit different.  I am P&T, and I (probably a mistake) called the VA asking about the waiver and the lady told me that I would need a doctors note stating that I was unable to work, because I was not IU.  

However, I have not worked since 2/2019, which is easily seen on my Social Security report.  Absolutely no income!!!

Basically she stated that if you are able to work, you can't get it.

But now, I'm going to send in for the waiver.

See what happens,

Hamslice

I already have the 10,000 since 2009.  Wouldn't mind getting another 10,000.  Or is it 30,000.00...

VA 30K waiver.jpg

1 hour ago, Hamslice said:

I already have the 10,000 since 2009.  Wouldn't mind getting another 10,000.  Or is it 30,000.00...

VA Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance Factsheet

Service-Disable Veterans Insurance (S-DVI) is life insurance for Veterans who received a service-connected disability rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The basic program is commonly called “RH Insurance.” It insures eligible Veterans for up to $10,000 of coverage. If you are totally disabled and have basic S-DVI coverage, you may be eligible for a premium waiver. If it is granted, you may be eligible to apply for additional coverage up to $30,000 under the Supplemental S-DVI program. Premiums for this program cannot be waived.

Yeah, so hard to figure out what they are saying.

I already have the 10K, so I'm trying to get the fees for that waived.

If that happens, and the waiver is approved, then (if I'm reading it correctly), I can PAY for an additional 30K.

Which I would do.

Thanks,

Hamslice

If my wife proceeds me in death, then I will name some inanimate object as my beneficiary, just to screw with them.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Hamslice, It sounds like they treat not working by choice/retirement differently than not able to work due to disabilities, kind of like the way SSDI works when someone is literally unable to work. I assume that as long as you are not gainfully employed and get a doc to work up the requested letter, they should be able to do the waiver. However, given the convoluted way that the insurance department works, it really is hard to say what they will actually do. While I was researching for my request, I began to wonder if they were just making it up as they go along.

I am not working and haven't been, but oddly enough I just received a second notification of eligibility for S-DVI minutes ago because of a new service-connected disability. Another 10% but it doesn't affect my combined rating. I could have done this earlier at the initial combined rating but my head was swimming between VA and SSDI.

I may have to wait until I get the award letter for the new service connect, before I apply to this.