VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Disabled Veterans Insurance

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am 100% P&T. I have called the toll free number for the VA life insurance and have been given conflicting information. The first person I spoke to said I am not eligible to apply for the waiver of premiums on a $10,000 life policy because I am working, the second person said I need to apply for the waiver and see what they say. He said I may or may not be given the waiver, he said you won't know until you apply.

Does anyone have the SDVI for $10,000 and is employed get the premiums waived? I only want to apply if the premiums will be waived. I am also under 65 and it has been less than 2 years since my last new disability.

Thanks

@GBArmy I will retire at the end of next year.

5 minutes ago, Vync said:

I believe there is a time limit in which you can apply and receive the $10,000 coverage at no cost.

The time limit is 2 years from the last "New" disability and you must be under 65. I will be 63 next year.  I may apply anyway and let them say no, needless to say I wouldn't take the insurance at $57 a month for $10,000. But will if it is free needless to say.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vync, it probably is two years, but I am guessing. It is 2 when you get a NEW disability to sign up if you didn't before. You are not eligible to join on just an increase of a disability rating. That's where i'm getting the two year window. Certainly could be wrong. It's gotta be there in the boiler plate someplace; heck, its an insurance contract! All insurance contracts have nooks and crannies.

31 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Paul, I may be off a little, (ok, a lot), but didn't you say you are due to retire very soon.

GB its from living overseas...haha. I was originally planning on retiring this year but decided to stay another year.

• HadIt.com Elder

OK, the 65 is the killer. Could you get it 64 and 10 or 11 months, or does the insurance stop after you turn 65 no matter how long you've had it?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Information site: https://www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/s-dvi.asp

It's 2 years from the date you were awarded a NEW SC disability (increases don't count)

Eligibility chart: https://www.benefits.va.gov/INSURANCE/docs/SDVI_Elig.pdf

Pamphlet: https://www.benefits.va.gov/INSURANCE/forms/VAP29-9.pdf

It is from 2012, so it is probably the same version I got in the mail, too.

Waiver of Premiums

We will waive your premiums if you become totally disabled from any condition before your 65th birthday and remain totally disabled for 6 or more consecutive months. This means that you will not have to pay premiums as long as you remain totally disabled. Please note that you can apply for waiver even if your disability began before you apply for RH insurance.

It’s to your advantage to apply for waiver, as soon as possible, if you are unable to work due to your disability. The percentage of your disability does not determine if we will approve your application

I searched the whole thing for "employed" and "working", but this was the only part that mentioned "work".

Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office and Insurance Center
P.O. Box 7208
Philadelphia, PA. 19101

www.insurance.va.gov

Toll-free: 1-800-669-8477

I called that toll-free number and talked with a nice lady. She said you are not eligible for the waiver if you are "totally disabled and able to work". I pointed out that the pamphlet does not say both conditions must be met. She referred me to call the 1-800-827-1000 to ask them.

Edited by Vync

• HadIt.com Elder

This type insurance don't stop when we turn 65 Mine didn't  this is free life insurance basically for the wife if I die before her, I think Paul should apply for it now  if they sent him the application....let them figures it all out.

This free life insurance is paid by the VA for being 100%P&T & if paul is still working OR still active  that should not matter  because this is for Disable veterans working or not with P&T   ITS PART OF OUR BENEFITS PACKAGE.

After 2 years  if Paul don't send in the application within the first two years  then it cancels out..the way I believe it works ? but might call the place in PA and ask. ...to be sure