VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Disabled Veterans Insurance

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am 100% P&T. I have called the toll free number for the VA life insurance and have been given conflicting information. The first person I spoke to said I am not eligible to apply for the waiver of premiums on a $10,000 life policy because I am working, the second person said I need to apply for the waiver and see what they say. He said I may or may not be given the waiver, he said you won't know until you apply.

Does anyone have the SDVI for $10,000 and is employed get the premiums waived? I only want to apply if the premiums will be waived. I am also under 65 and it has been less than 2 years since my last new disability.

Thanks

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I called the VA insurance center at 1-800-669-8477 and they again said the same thing: permanent and total plus working means not eligible. I asked for the regulation/law governing that, but they didn't know, but they referred me to c.

I called 1-800-669-8477. They wanted to initially refer me back to the people at the VA insurance center. Because I just spoke with them, they recommended I contact my state department of veterans affairs.

I called the Alabama DVA at the VARO in Montgomery. They normally rely on what the VA tells them. I explained the situation and what I found in the pamphlet and US Code and they said I might be right. They advised me to dig out my application and denial letter to double-check. They said that this might be a CUE if the VA failed to follow the laws in effect when the denial was made. 

It will take a while for me to dig out my records because it is in a box that I have not scanned in yet, but is not readily accessible. I already have a request in for a copy of my claims file on disc and assume the application and denial letter may both be in there. If everything checks out on my end, I may file a CUE if necessary.

For extra measure, I called the White House VA hotline and submitted a complaint about the VA possibly denying eligible veterans free coverage. If I am wrong, I hope they will be able to at least point out the specific law justifying the denials. If I am right, I hope that we will be able to get coverage. 

Great job, Vync!  The VA HATES it when we know the regulations!!  

They would much rather keep us in the dark, and then they can get away with telling us anything, and they expect us to believe them.  

I will apply and see what they do, I won't count on them approving it but I will see.

I don't understand why waving of premiums is tied to whether or not you are employed. I am 100% P&T and work full-time yet I still get a disability check, so why is this different.

@Vync what an awesome job you did with researching, I really do appreciate it.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
23 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

I will apply and see what they do, I won't count on them approving it but I will see.

I don't understand why waving of premiums is tied to whether or not you are employed. I am 100% P&T and work full-time yet I still get a disability check, so why is this different.

@Vync what an awesome job you did with researching, I really do appreciate it.

I'm not an insurance expert, but assume that when you get to P&T or TDIU, it appears you are supposed to be able to get the insurance for free. Of course you have to meet the other requirements.

Earlier this year, I had to make use of a critical illness policy I have through Aflac for the first time. When I noticed you posting the same issue I encountered, I remembered that it felt fishy. Figured I would try and chase it down. If we're right, it could mean the VA will have to go back and offer coverage to other veterans denied for the same reason.

The criteria  for S- DVI is here:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/s-dvi.asp

at the left of that page there are other links to other types of insurance veterans can apply for.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

SDVI waiver of Premium is based on Permanent and Total. The case of a Veteran working or not is moot and should not be a discussion item. VA disability is based on the loss of earnings ability your disability has caused. It is not like SSDI as that is all or nothing.  

Go ahead and file the paperwork.  The Permanent and Total is law. If these people would only do their job and quit confusing veterans about life insurance.