VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pyramiding

Rate this question

Aaron grey

Question

Service connected  Tinnitus hearing loss PTSD and lower back pain - PTSD stressor MST also mention is forgetfulness suspicious depressed mood disturbance of motivation anxiety occupational and social impairment.

2015 VA diagnosis me with obstructive sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP also I have blood disorder  Polycythemia Vera

Confused I think I have a secondary condition but understand I cannot use any diagnosis/symptoms mention in my first claim it would be considered as Pyramiding

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

This is not what "pyramading" means.  Pyramid means VA compensates you for the same symptom twice. That is forbidden.  

Example:  You have PTSD and depression.  You only get paid for "one" set of symptoms, not 2.  It does not matter, for example that you cant work because of PTSD and you also cant work because of depression.  You only get credit for "one" of these.  

On 11/8/2019 at 3:47 PM, Aaron grey said:

Service connected  Tinnitus hearing loss PTSD and lower back pain - PTSD stressor MST also mention is forgetfulness suspicious depressed mood disturbance of motivation anxiety occupational and social impairment.

Tinnitus and hearing disorders are two separate and distinct disabilities.  So are PTSD and low back pain.  Your SA may be secondary to your PTSD but it is not pyramiding since it is a separate disability perpetrated by your PTSD.  Any symptoms that are secondary to your service connected disabilities my be applied for, even though the primary disability caused the secondary.