• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Question

Greetings to all members to Hadit. 

The question may have been answered in the forum but I can't find and answer anywhere  so therefor any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently file a  secondary claim for bilateral knee conditions caused by my bilateral flat feet which I am rated at 50% for. I do have a diagnosis for both  knees which were submitted.

The examiner opined that I do have a bilateral knee condition that is less than likely than not caused by bilateral pes planus.

The examiners rational was " that  the veterans bilateral condition was due to a specific incident or injury while in service and not by pes plans".

To me, the examiner does see a direct service connection for my knee condition.

I was denied bases on  the examiners opinion but the rating official did not consider the examiners rationale.

I am in the middle of doing an NOD instead of a reconsideration, even though I filed as secondary,  Is there a reg out there that states that the rater can do a direct service connection being that I have an event or injury while in service, I do have a diagnosis, and looks like the examiner stated it was caused by an incident or injury while in service (looks like a nexus)?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

File the NOD.  

You may have to get an IMO to overcome what the VA considers is a negative medical opinion.  (I have not seen the opinion, but it doesnt matter what I think, any, because Im not a decision maker for ratings).  

My advice is to get your records, especially the medical opinion.  

If you think the medical opinion "is" favorable then you could try an HLR.  

The VA is going to be looking for "at least as likely as not", and they may not even read the medical rationale.  

After you file a nod and get the records, you will need to decide whether or not to get an IMO.  If you dont have a valid nexus, you will need an IMO to be SC.  

No nexus=no benefits.  

Now, the 3 Caluza elements are only 2 with secondaries:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  Nexus that the (secondary condition) is at least as likely as not due to an already sc condition.  

You need "three elements" in order to get service connected. These are as follows:

1. Current Disability (without this, there can be no valid claim)

2. In-Service Event or Injury (proven by a line of duty determination)

3. Medical Nexus Statement (showing the relationship between #1 and #2 above)

Based on what you posted, my assessment is as follows:

1. Current Disability = You are good to go here

2. In-Service Event or Injury = This one is questionable. It seems like you have this element, however the doctor is going to have to clarify his/her opinion on exactly what is the cause of your current disability or provide sufficient rationale for "secondary service connection."

3. Medical Nexus Statement = Due to the doctor rendering a "negative opinion" the VA is most likely going to completely disregard the doctor's rationale anyway and deny the claim. An "HLR" would most likely result in the claim being denied again as you cannot submit any additional evidence with this option even if such evidence is favorable to your claim.

My advice: Get another medical nexus opinion "rebutting the negative opinion with a clarifying rationale" to support the claim. Then file another "supplementary claim" along with submitting "new and relevant evidence." Remember, your goal is to get service connected at the 1st level of the claims process (regional office level). You can always appeal at a later date for an earlier effective date.

Also, throwing in a couple of pages of medical literature would strengthen your claim as a whole. The following regulation: "38 CFR 3.159(a)(1)" specifically allows you to do just that.

Keep fighting and NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Thank you for the rapid response @broncovet and LightofSolitude. 

The exam was a positive exam in my opinion. The only negative thing was the opinion and rationale.

This is what the examiner stated verbatim:

Opinion: It is the opinion that the Veteran does have bilateral knee conditions that are less likely than not proximately the result of bilateral pes plans and plantar fasciitis.

Rationale: The Veteran has specific diagnosis for the left knee, as mentioned, and the right knee has a dx of recurrent knee strain. From the history these are related to specific injuries in service and not to the bi pes plants and plantar fasciitis.

I do know how the examiners now how to twist things up, but prior to that exam, I had my non VA primary care do a DBQ for the same condition, which I did not include because I plan to use that as well as my recent MRI for new evidence.

Here is what my non VA PCP wrote.

Opinion: After reviewing the veterans treatment records, service records, and MRI findings, as well as completing a thorough history and physical exam, it is my opinion that the veteran has the diagnosis previously stated and that they are likely as not incurred by the diagnosis in service.

Rationale: In 19 blank blank, the veteran was seen in the emergency room from a MVA while in service and was diagnosed with knee strain. The Veterans 20 plus years of military service with strenuous training and multiple combat deployments, along with his diagnosis of bilateral pes planus are as least as likely as not have exacerbated his bilateral knee condition and in his current chronic knee conditions. He did name the condition. he also Cited FM 21-20 about the affects of strenuous training and what injuries that it could cause.

I do have cites from Web Mayo as well as NCBI. I am planning to do a NOD on this one.

You posted:

It is the opinion that the Veteran does have bilateral knee conditions that are less likely than not proximately the result of bilateral pes plans and plantar fasciitis.

This is a negative nexus.  It sounds like its in conflict with your PCP who gave you a nexus.  

You can cite the case law Attorney Chris Attig cited.

You did not need a c and p exam...you already had a nexus.  VA ordered an exam to get evidence to deny.  They got that (negative) evidence and denied you.  

Chris Attig calls it "developing to deny".  If you already have a nexus, the VA is not supposed to go on a fishing expidition to find evidence to deny.  That is exactly what they did.  

Now, its possible that the c and p examiner was "more competent" than your PCP BECAUSE the c and p examiner "could" have been an expert in the field, while YOUR PCP may not be an expert in ortho or knees.  But, they have to state a reason why.  

You should appeal this, and see what Chris Attig says about developing to deny:

Edited by broncovet
add more

This is some great info Broncovet, thank you again for your time and patience. I kinda of figured that is what the VA was trying to do since that I have filed for this condition 4 times within the last 10 years and had been denied on all. Thats why I did my research and found that flatfeet can cause knee problems. Prior to the C&P exam as stated before, I had my primary care MD do a physical and a DBQ for me which he has been my PCP for years. I did do my research on my C&P examiner prior to my exam, and found out that she was a MD as well. My Doc have been dealing with me for years,  the examiner only dealt with me for maybe 45 minutes. Both are MD's. Conflicting exams. I did not surrender  my dbq from my PCP to the C&P examiner. I really do see how the VA tries hard to deny. Thats why I believe this is a good cite for Vets to get great knowledge. I have fought for my country and survived combat tours. Now I have to fight the VA and hopefully I can survive through this battle.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By surayabay
      Doe's  any one  know if there any 'Airborne Veteran Groups'  or 'any'  Veteran Groups that specialize in denied VA claims for 'older paratroopers' who have no 'military' medical records
      to show a 'service connection' for current medical issues and conditions because they did not surface and manifest until much later in life,  as the culture and practice 40-50 years ago
      was to discourage and frown on troops going on 'sick-call' for jump related injuries,  'walk-it-off', take two salt tablets and soldier on, 'Airborne"!   So 'no' military medical records 'ever existed'
      in the first place!   But civilian medical proof does exist, 'Letter of Medical Opinion', 'VA studies on pain and known paratrooper injuries' , the VA's own rules for such cases that they say they will accept for 'those very types of claims', but ignore, devalue or just deny altogether!?  
      All VA certified VSO's 'SHOULD' be trained in such cases, but their not!   We're left to find private certified VA attorney's to fight our appeal with the VA and wind up paying for them ourselves because the VA can't or won't follow their own rules, regulations, CFR's or apply rulings uniformly, fairly or consistently from one VA office to the next!   
      I've asked for  an independent reviewer who is a qualified 'non-VA,' arbitrator, that I've read I'm entitled too, to review and  submit a finding for my case!  We'll see? 
       You can't fight the VA by yourself, the system is designed for you to fail! 
      Anyone have advice!   AATW!  I've about 'hadit' too!    Like my buddy said about his time in Nam!  The squad leader told us, men, there are no reinforcements,  no one's coming for us, we're it, we're on our own!"  "Take two salt tablets, fill your canteens and lock and load..... and I'm alone, on point, move out!"  

• By DozerDog
      Hello all, I'm trying to find any female that was deployed to Afghanistan or Middle East during Operation Enduring Freedom 2002, that is now suffering from ovarian failure, early menopause or menstrual issues. 
      I have been trying to file a claim for over a year due to the above issues with no luck. There is no medical documentation to prove my case. 
      If there is anyone out there suffering from the same issues, or you know of anyone who could be, please get in touch with me. 
      I have no family history of ovarian failure but managed to go through menopause by 35. Looking for help! 
    • By VETOVET
      Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:
      https://youtu.be/waV5t0HPtbM
      Today we are joined by Thomas Wendel, DAV National area supervisor for West Cost Region.
      Thomas E. Wendel served in the U. S. Marine Corps from 1983 until 1997.
      Since 1999, Tom has worked assisting veterans in processing various entitlement claims on the local, state and federal levels; first in Clare County as a county service officer and then when he came to work for the Disabled American Veterans in 2000. In 2008 he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV Service Office in Detroit and later he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV National area for West Cost Region.
      DAV is America’s largest, most effective veterans service organizations dedicated to the needs of those injured, ill or wounded in service. We have more than 1,300 Chapters in communities nationwide to help make sure veterans from all generations and their families get the benefits and support they deserve. Today, nearly 1.3 million veterans belong to DAV, and we encourage you to add your voice to the cause. Our programs and free services help all veterans get the health, disability and financial benefits they earned. Take advantage of our benefits claims assistance, medical transportation and employment resources. Your local DAV Chapter is a great way to connect with fellow veterans in your area.
      ★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
      ▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
      ▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
      ▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
      ▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
      ▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
      ▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
      ▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
      ▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
      ▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

• By VETOVET
      Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:
      https://youtu.be/9paX1-FyCaI

Today we’re talking about SERVICE CONNECTION.
      When we talk about service-connecting a medical condition, disease, injury or illness to military service, we are talking about proving the relationship between the two.
      1) Direct Service Connection
      2) Service Connection by Aggravation
      3) Presumptive Service Connection
      4) Secondary Service Connection
      5) Service Connection due to Injury Caused by Treatment in the VA Healthcare System
      6) Special Service Connection Rules for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
      ★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
      ▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
      ▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
      ▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
      ▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
      ▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
      ▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
      ▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
      ▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
      ▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

• Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 16 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 53 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines