Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Who at the VA signs State Tax exempt forms?



Recommended Posts

  • 1
  • Moderator

In "my" state a letter (printed from ebenefits) will suffice.  I can not answer this for your state.  

However, now with ebenefits "letters" they work "even" to get on post and get a commissary ID.  Try that one first, or call them and ask them.  

Its really ridicilous that an ebenefits letter wont suffice.  Again, I suggest you call the office of the tax assessor OR just show up with the letter, like I did.  I think its better to just "assume" the printed out VA letter from ebenefits works, rather than suggest to them we go through a long ardous process of sending it to VA and "hoping" they send it back.  

At my VAMC, there used to be a VARO worker whose job it was to sign letters like this.  With ebenefits letters, they may have eliminated his position, but I have no idea.  

YOu can fill out the state form, and where it says 
"signature of VA official" just write 
"see attached" and enclose your AB8 letter.  

It worked for me.  

Remember, even when we get a decision letter, these are not signed "in ink" but rather a computer printout copy of our decision with no original (in ink) signatures.  Take that most recent decision letter granting benefits with you also.  

The trouble is most of those dont say "permanent and total" they say things like "eligibility to Chapter 35 is included" or 

"no future exams are scheduled".  

The state wants a letter which says permanent and total, not one that says "no future exams are scheduled".  To VA it means the same thing, but try convincing your state.   GRRRRRRRRRRR

Edited by broncovet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Hi Salty. Never heard of your problem, so I think it may take a few tries to get your paperwork signed. If you are close to your VAMC, just start with the Veteran's Advocate office. If they won't sign it, they should have a good idea what to do. There probably some boiler plate in your disability decision package that is a general statement that it can be used, but I don't know. You could ask politely your town clerk where else has others gotten theirs signed off. I guarantee that it is a state law and modified by your town ordinance, so even your state  Dept. of Veterans Affairs could have an answer. Frankly, I think the town form is wrong; the decision letter with the VA Seal should be good enough proof; if it's good enough to receive federal benefits, it should be good enough for your town. IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Salty I am in Virginia and all I need to do was submit the letter I generated from eBenefits stating I was 100% P&T (it was unsigned). It took them a week to approve it, they sent me a letter to send to my mortgage company to get the property tax stopped from coming out of my payments. My P&T was actually retro back to August 2018.

Did you call your county tax assessor to ask them? What state do you live in?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

  I think it depends on your county tax office  and their regulations.

I had this same problem  but back when I got 100%  P&T the tax exemption was not passed./ then about 3 months or so it passed ....so I had to wait  the  rest of the year.   and then I printed off the tax exemption letter in e benefits  and the tax office took that as my exemption. 

My County Tax Appraisal  Office only accepts this benefit  from Jan thru April 1st.

Also you should check your County for free registration on your vehicle...i Use to pay 3 bucks for my truck tags/plates , but I  moved to a different County and have to pay 11 bucks...but no gripe from me.   for processing fees

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

@Salty496 Welcome to Hadit!

Here in Alabama, I printed off the form from ebenefits. I also included a copy of my 100% P&T award letter.

From there, I got with my county tax assessor and filled out a form to get exempted from homestead taxes. Every state is different though. Here in Alabama, I have to fill one out every year. Some states might have it setup as a one time thing.

For my license plate discount, I just went to the same place where I get my drivers license and vehicle tags renewed. They scanned in copies of my letters so I don't have to bring them any longer. I also needed to have a valid ID and my DD-214. The Alabama "disabled veterans" tag costs less to register annually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Our picks

  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • How to get your questions answered...


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.
    2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

    Leading to:

    Post clear questions and then give background info on them.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.


    Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

    This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines