VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who at the VA signs State Tax exempt forms?

Rate this question

Salty496

Question

In "my" state a letter (printed from ebenefits) will suffice.  I can not answer this for your state.  

However, now with ebenefits "letters" they work "even" to get on post and get a commissary ID.  Try that one first, or call them and ask them.  

Its really ridicilous that an ebenefits letter wont suffice.  Again, I suggest you call the office of the tax assessor OR just show up with the letter, like I did.  I think its better to just "assume" the printed out VA letter from ebenefits works, rather than suggest to them we go through a long ardous process of sending it to VA and "hoping" they send it back.  

At my VAMC, there used to be a VARO worker whose job it was to sign letters like this.  With ebenefits letters, they may have eliminated his position, but I have no idea.  

YOu can fill out the state form, and where it says 
"signature of VA official" just write 
"see attached" and enclose your AB8 letter.  

It worked for me.  

Remember, even when we get a decision letter, these are not signed "in ink" but rather a computer printout copy of our decision with no original (in ink) signatures.  Take that most recent decision letter granting benefits with you also.  

The trouble is most of those dont say "permanent and total" they say things like "eligibility to Chapter 35 is included" or 

"no future exams are scheduled".  

The state wants a letter which says permanent and total, not one that says "no future exams are scheduled".  To VA it means the same thing, but try convincing your state.   GRRRRRRRRRRR

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Salty. Never heard of your problem, so I think it may take a few tries to get your paperwork signed. If you are close to your VAMC, just start with the Veteran's Advocate office. If they won't sign it, they should have a good idea what to do. There probably some boiler plate in your disability decision package that is a general statement that it can be used, but I don't know. You could ask politely your town clerk where else has others gotten theirs signed off. I guarantee that it is a state law and modified by your town ordinance, so even your state  Dept. of Veterans Affairs could have an answer. Frankly, I think the town form is wrong; the decision letter with the VA Seal should be good enough proof; if it's good enough to receive federal benefits, it should be good enough for your town. IMO. 

GBArmy. 

Thanks for the input.  I agree and think I will start with the tax assessment office and see if they will just accept the letter from the VA showing 100% total and perm. it also has a signature block so maybe they will accept it. 

thanks. 

Salty 

Salty I am in Virginia and all I need to do was submit the letter I generated from eBenefits stating I was 100% P&T (it was unsigned). It took them a week to approve it, they sent me a letter to send to my mortgage company to get the property tax stopped from coming out of my payments. My P&T was actually retro back to August 2018.

Did you call your county tax assessor to ask them? What state do you live in?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it depends on your county tax office  and their regulations.

I had this same problem  but back when I got 100%  P&T the tax exemption was not passed./ then about 3 months or so it passed ....so I had to wait  the  rest of the year.   and then I printed off the tax exemption letter in e benefits  and the tax office took that as my exemption. 

My County Tax Appraisal  Office only accepts this benefit  from Jan thru April 1st.

Also you should check your County for free registration on your vehicle...i Use to pay 3 bucks for my truck tags/plates , but I  moved to a different County and have to pay 11 bucks...but no gripe from me.   for processing fees

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Salty496 Welcome to Hadit!

Here in Alabama, I printed off the form from ebenefits. I also included a copy of my 100% P&T award letter.

From there, I got with my county tax assessor and filled out a form to get exempted from homestead taxes. Every state is different though. Here in Alabama, I have to fill one out every year. Some states might have it setup as a one time thing.

For my license plate discount, I just went to the same place where I get my drivers license and vehicle tags renewed. They scanned in copies of my letters so I don't have to bring them any longer. I also needed to have a valid ID and my DD-214. The Alabama "disabled veterans" tag costs less to register annually.