VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How and what do I file?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Afternoon folks,

Normally I'm here asking questions, getting expert opinions..., about veterans I'm trying to help, but today it's about ME.

My status: I'm IU P&T 100%;  90%  scheduler.

For many years now, since 1990, I've had a 0% service connected rating on hearing loss, have filed many times to have it increased, only to find out that because my ear was draining every time I had a hearing test, my claim was denied. Crazy huh?

Well anyway, yesterday I finally got a hearing test , and my ear was NOT draining, the test was given by a doctor outside of the VA health care system, and I have the test results in hand, and they read "Moderately Severe" hearing loss.

Oh, under the new Mission Act, the VA referred me to the doctor who administered me the above hearing test.

My goal is to get at least 10% from the hearing test, (and yes I know the VA doesn't do the math like the rest of us), and to go from IU P&T 100% to 100% Scheduler.

As a footnote, I already have 30% for vertigo(dizziness and staggering), and 10% Bilateral otitis media.

So, having said/written this, here are my questions:

1. Do I file a new claim for the hearing test results, or file a claim to increase the 0% already established?

2. Once the VA accepts the new claim, and approves it(yes I'm confident), other than the additional 10% increase, will any back pay from 1990 be due me?

3. Can I expect more than 10% due to hearing loss?

Thanks,

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
11 hours ago, allansc2005 said:

Buck52,

In order to be eligible for SMC, don't you have to have one condition that's 100%, and that one condition is separate  and not connected to your other conditions?

My highest rated condition is 40%.

Once again, I'm 100%  IU P&T, and my total scheduler is 90%.

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

Your IU  so theres the one single condition or combined conditions that you have service connected for the IU.

EVEN IF AT A COMBINED RATING THAT DON'T MEET THE 100% RATE BECAUSE THEY GAVE YOU THE IU,obviously because you can't work but you didn't meet the 100% scheduler rating  THAT IS BASICALLY A 100% RATING  the hearing loss claim WOULD BE SEPERATE  RATING  if you get a 50% rating for that and also 10% for tinnitus   there's the other 60%

you may want to check your other conditions to see if they have got worse and file increase on those too.

if they send you to a VA C&P for your hearing claim  go do it...then go see a Private ENT with his own Augdologist  and compare these test  if you use a Private Dr Board Certified   then he has clout over the VA Dr's

The other members are right on Richard 1954 has good advise and also GB Army.

Hearing loss is a tough claim and you need to be darn near deaf to get any type of rating above 10%   this all boils down to your hearing test numbers.  how bad your hearing loss is?

Buck,

I've read mixed opinions on 100% IU P&T being considered ONE condition for the purposes of SMCs.

Actually, in my case, I'm more interested in getting the 0%  SC hearing up to 10%+, in order to qualify for 100% scheduler.

Right now, IU aside, I'm 90% scheduler.

Is there something in writing that says 100% IU is considered ONE condition?

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

4 hours ago, allansc2005 said:

is there something in writing that says 100% IU is considered ONE condition

.IU can be awarded in two different ways..  1. based on one condition that is rated 60% or more  or 2. based on more than one condition that combines to 70% with one condition being rated at least 40%.

If IU is based on one condition then IU  can be used as the "100 %" disability along with another condition rated at least 60% for  purposes of an SMC S award, commonly known as Housebound.

Hope this answers your question...

@Richard, as I posted earlier, my IU is based on a combination of conditions, the highest SINGLE  condition being 40%

I'm IU P&T 100%, with a 90%  scheduler.

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

12 minutes ago, allansc2005 said:

as I posted earlier, my IU is based on a combination of conditions, the highest SINGLE  condition being 40%

The is nothing in writing that says IU is one condition....  frankly the question doesn't make any sense.....  and I tried to read into what you were asking......

Now,,, I don't mean to be a butt head... but 

you keep saying your IU P&T 100%...

technically... your not 100% ... you have a combined rating of  90% with an award of Total disability based on unemployability, and receive compensation at the 100% rate.....( but again you are not 100%)  and the way you present it  ( IU P&T 100%) can be confusing.

Edited by Richard1954

Richard, you are correct, my choice of words are wrong. I'm IU P&T, 90%  overall scheduler.

Now, am I right that in order to be eligible for SMC, one condition HAS to be 100%?

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!