• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
gramps30

I know this is frowned upon

Does anyone have any info on va disability buyout companies or places that loan disabled veterans small loans? Already tried bank and credit unions and they wont reconize my va disability as income.

Well my compensation is thought of or recognized as INCOME its how we live...its just tax free. 

Any banker should realize that and its study income we get it the rest of our lives , now I am bases my opinion on what I get and being 100% with P&T

you cannot sell your remaining disability like you can with some settlements, i believe its illegal when it comes to va disability compensation. your compensation should count as income though it has for all the things i've done. perhaps check out your local veterans center and see if they can refer you to someone who can help.

Something is amiss here.  With my disability income from VA, I can go to any car dealer, pick a car out that I want, sign my name (no money) and drive it home.  Yes, I did that, and more than once.  So have others.   Of course it depends on your credit score.  If you have poor credit, then no, you can not borrow money, but that is independent of whether or not you get VA compensation.  

If a bank or credit union denies you credit, they have to send you a letter.  With that letter you can pull a credit score.  Or, you can sign up at a place like Credit Karma and get a credit score for free.  I recommend you do just that.  

Now, if, as Tbird suggested you are trying to "sell" your VA benefits to a place like JG Wentworth that buys monthly settlements for cash, then That may not be permitted by law.    

Did you know you can get social security disability and also VA disability?  Some people dont know that, so, if you dont apply for social security, they wont send it to you!  

I suggest the most likely thing going on here is you need to better manage your finances if you can not make it to the end of the month.  It could involve doing things you dont want to do, too.  Typical money "drains" are things like living in too expensive of an area, paying too much for housing or car payments, and sometimes, forking out too much for pets.  Of course, the "big 2" mean you will likely never be able to fix your income issues:  Drugs or Alcohol.  Of course, Im not accusing you of these issues, I mention them because I have spoken with others who have issues with them.  (I get offended when the VA asks me over and over and over if I have an alcohol or substance abuse; I always tell them no, and they ask me again and again and again.  Its like they assume because Im a Vet, I must have alcohol or drug abuse.  Its not true.  Yes, many do have these issues, I am not one of them, and you probably are not either.  

People buy houses with only their VA compensation or SSDI as income or both, so this is absolutely not true.  Of course you do need to have the needed credit score and debt/income ratio to be approved for loans, etc. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By J.Robbins
      I’m in final review for about 40 days after spending almost 5 years in legacy. Peggy says almost done but no date. They have everything since 5/1. I thought ramp was quicker .I opted in 5/13.
      I get close then it gets sent back. No one know anything.All you can do is wait
    • By haasume
      I have been rated 80% with TDIU since 2013. I recently attended my 5 year re-evaluation for PTSD. My exam results showed up on Myhealthyvet today, but I shouldn't get a decision until June or July according to VA.gov. I just wanted to know what you guys thought my rating "MAY" be based on this C&P.  Of course, my PTSD and MDD are firing at max speed right now worrying about it. My concern is the part where the Dr says "Moderately Severe" PTSD and depression. I have heard stories about the raters pulling small words like that out and using them for a reason to reduce benefits.                             Thank you in advance for your time and responses. 

cp1.pdf cp2.pdf cp3.pdf cp4.pdf cp5.pdf cp6.pdf cp7.pdf cp8.pdf cp9.pdf cp10.pdf
    • By crawma
      My claim has been bounced around in a million directions (from what I read/hear is normal) but on 28 August, my claim moved to "pending decision approval" I had called the VA office about the status of it since eBenefits was not working. The guy was nice and told me that this is usually the quicker part of the claim that a decision was made but it was going to require 2 supervisor signatures and was usually a 1-2 day turn around UNLESS they find an error.
      For background purposes, my claim was started in February 2018, I had 23 different conditions claimed, by May 2018 I had completed 4 exams and it had been handed to the VA. My stuff went all the way to "preparation for decision" June 20th but then on July 19th it was kicked back to "initial review" and they wanted more exams. I never actually did the exams LHI essentially pulled the information out of my already completed exams and resent it to them. August my claim moved to "gathering evidence" and the VA said that LHI had still not provided them with my documents, I did call LHI multiple times where I was assured they had. I finally called the VA regional office directly where a person looked into everything and told me that LHI did submit them but the VA system did not "recognize" the files and a ticket with the IT department was submitted. On 7 August my claim moved to "preparation for decision" again.
      So fast forward today.... 30 August 2018. I suddenly show "documents past due" and decided to just call the office directly again because my gut was telling me it was not something due on my part. Apparently one of the supervisors put in a request for three more specialty exams, my soul was officially crushed. 
      My question is, how normal is this and has anyone else similarly experienced this with the VA process? If so how far out were you "extended" when you had new exams? Also, I really really really need 3 of my medications and that is the thing that bothers me the most, one of them through my husbands insurance is still $200 a month. 
    • By Javalamp
      Hi,
      I am new to this forum but from what I read here I am very gratful it exists.
      So 6 months before I ETSed I submitted my 1st VA claim from the suggestion of my sergeant major. When I initiate the claim I was getting reoccuring calluses on both of my feet. The VA wrote down calluses as the actual symptom and they give me 0%. This was in 1998. Technically I have one medical record from February in 1998 stating I had pain and calluses on both feet and the actual c&p exam was done in July of 1998

Later in 1999 after further x-rays and tests at the VA they realize that I actually had pes plantus on both feet. Unfortunately for me I didn't submit that claim until 2012 when I understood how the VA system work. They granted me 30% for the pes plantus and they backed you to the effective date to 1998 because they changed the diagnostic code from calluses to pes plantus for that injury. They never changed the percentage rating and that's what I am posing in the CUE claim.
      My concern is, the Doctor who evaluated me at the C&P did a bunch of tests on my shoulder and my neck where he found a C5 C6 degenerative disc and a nerve impingement. At the same time for the calluses all he did was basically state that I told him that I would shave them off periodically and never did any testing or any further investigation. He didn't do anything to address the underlying cause and there's no way of identifying how bad my calluses were between the time of 1998 and 1999. Is this a good grounds for submitting a cue case?
      Basically I feel they could have asked for another C&P exam as there was no vasrd code for calluses at the time according to the decision and also they evaluated me on the incorrect code.  They changed it which shows they agree pes plantus was the underlying cause and calluses was just a symptom.
    • By CA84VET
      VA received my RAMP appeal on March 13 and still no answer after 142 days.  Is this unusual?  Any STATS out there on how long some of them go over?  Peggy gives me different answers every time I call in beginning with very few go over the 125 to at 135 days if you don't get a letter in 30 days call us back.  Nothing worthy on vets.gov  My VSO is clueless and gives me only what I get myself.  What is the point of RAMP if there is no real deadline at all, not even a few days over? 
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 56 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines