VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Complete My 1st Psychiatrist Visit

Rate this question

USMCScorpio

Question

I'll be doing my 1st Psychiatric visit this afternoon - I haven't filed a claim at all yet but have started the intent to file dtd. Nov 1, 19.

This visit is to help establish connections to various aspects (of which none from what I can remember) are listed in my medical records -

I've started my claim maybe 9 times now since the late 90's and I've always stopped because I felt like I do right now, but I'm going today and here's what my concerns are. Only this time my spouse is tired of me waking up and or not sleeping at all and ask if there was someone I'd like to talk with about it.  So here I am.

• How do I relay insomnia as a result of not wanting to miss a movement (I wake up about every 40 mins or so) and have been since I almost missed a movement because I overslept for desert storm. Missed my flight but went on the 2nd wave - had a good friend loose his legs to a mine 'i was supposed to be on that 1st wave' smh..  The movement reprimanded incident is in my SRB as a  but not medical record at all as I never claimed any sleep issues?
  • How do I talk about how PTSD anxiety and depression in spells? Also not in my record books at all (I feel ridiculous asking right now let alone talking to the Dr. about it)?
  • He's worked with Military Vet's before which is why I chose him - how would I ask he note things so that the VA is clear and can use what we find out during our visit?

I'll pay for these visits (as I've said I haven't begun the claim process yet outside of intent to file until my medical records arrive) there are other things in it I'll add separately once I can verify them.

Thanks for suggestions/guidance.

5 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

You are doing the right thing by getting this ball rolling. The intent to file was the right thing to do. It gives you a year to formally open a new claim by filing a VA Form 21-526EZ and including a release of medical information authorization form.

Just be honest and natural. Explain it just as you did in your post. It came across pretty clear to me. Give examples of the episodes.

Consider writing down on paper each issue causing you problems so that you don't forget anything.

The first visit is also referred to as an intake visit. They may take a bit longer than follow up exams because they are trying to get a good idea of what is going on. The doc will note things down from your perspective. They may not make an initial diagnosis (which is ok). Sometimes mental health conditions may take a while to accurately diagnose.

As far as what the VA can use, I would not worry about that just yet. Get to know him and let him get to know you. After your first visit, come back and search Hadit for nexus statements, IME's, or IMO's. When it comes time to formally open your claim with the VA, they may send you to a separate C&P exam. That doc will have your records and independently verify. You can also ask your non-VA doc to fill out a disability questionnaire and write a nexus/IMO/IME.

The VA DBQ's can be found here:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_listbydbqformname.asp

• HadIt.com Elder

Normally the VA uses a L.C.S.W. to do the first evaluation  and then you see the Shrinks  they use the DSM 5 Psychiatric material. ask you 10 or more questions and you give your best answer to these questions, then the LCSW sees that you do need to see the MH people  the Phyistrist ect,,ect,, and they will make  Diagnoses. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I never had much luck with the MH VA Dr's  as for as filing out a PTSD  DBQ good luck with them.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Normally the VA uses a L.C.S.W. to do the first evaluation  and then you see the Shrinks  they use the DSM 5 Psychiatric material. ask you 10 or more questions and you give your best answer to these questions, then the LCSW sees that you do need to see the MH people  the Phyistrist ect,,ect,, and they will make  Diagnoses. 

It can vary depending on the level of staffing, kind of organization, and any health insurance requirements (if applicable).

My first intake visit at the VA was with a psychologist, who referred me to an LCSW. However, when I went to a non-VA MH doc, my intake was with a psychologist and I stayed with them for follow up visits. After my heart attack, I was living in anxiety city. The VA let me see a psychologist and I have stayed with her for follow up visits too.

So the 1st visits are completed with the psychiatrist and it went well, he did a series of test to rate anxiety, depression and PTSD levels.

I appreciated all the advise - I am headed to the VA next to request a primary care doctor (at the advise of the psychiatrist)

Levels of the test revealed high scores for depression and anxiety both of which I didn't think I had.   😕  

Thanks again for chiming in and giving some direction.   I'll keep you posted along the way on this claim.