VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

when does the VA compensaation actually start?

Rate this question

vern2

Question

My friend  retired on 1 September and his VA claim was approved with an effective date of 2 September. He did not get his first VA 100% compensation check until November and it was for October. He thought he was supposed to get paid for September, and I do not know the answer to that question. He was rated P & T with effective date of 2 September 2019. he did not get any retro pay. He did call the VA several times but was given confusing answers, one person told him it was due to some law passed in 1989??

Vern

The VA pays after the fact, Octobers pay comes in November. It is my understanding that that the partial month (9/2 is considered a partial month) you do not get paid for, only for full months. So in your friends case October is the first month he is paid and November 1st is the pay date. 

I ran into the same situation, it stinks but it is the way the VA does it. I am happy to hear your friend did get 100% to begin with.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@paulstrgn is correct and was probably done to keep the accounting as simple as possible.

If I am not mistaken, here's how they determine when payments are made. The criteria appears to vary depending on some situations.

38 CFR § 3.31 - Commencement of the period of payment

It's a shame the VA rips off veterans by not awarding partial month payments. I wonder if any law firms have ever sought to challenge this. If we are late paying our taxes, the IRS charges interest for each day late. When it comes to paying veterans, they can get away with not paying up to 30 days of payments. Could be a lot of money for veterans with higher ratings.

Its always been my understanding (and in application with my pay at various times for ratings changes) that the month OF the award you don't get paid for, it starts the next month. If you have back pay that comes, but it isn't actually the disability award. It confuses some veterans, understandably so, because they calculate X for what their disability pay should be, or what the letter says, and then a backpay amount shows up that is nothing like the amount in the letter for their actual pay. 

Correct.  

1.  VA comp is paid "in arrears" not in advance.  

2.  VA comp begins the first day of the month FOLLWING the effective date. But you dont get paid until that month is over, that is, the first of the next month.  

Thanks for the comments. I was so excited to get my pay and some retro, that did not notice that my effective date was middle of month, so I did not get a participial month either. Feel like the VA is cheating us out of partial months pay.

I suppose, but then again we could be getting nothing, too, and I'm grateful for what I do get. It allows me to work a few hours part time a week so I can be home around the kids and teenagers, and my wife can pursue her career in the library system full time. I have some time for hobbies, reflection, and playing with the dog. *Shrug