VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non VA ER Visit

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Shrek. yes, VAMC's have neurology, at least the bigger ones do. Easy enough to find out if they do and what types of assistance you may need. Just call. For example, if there is more than one VMAC in your state, if there isn't enough usage, they might not have all of the same services in both or all hospitals. Say, surgeries in one and certain types of other services such as audiology or podiatry in another to be more efficient.

Edited by GBArmy
typo

Shrek, it is dicey as to what hospitals have neurology.  We have three centers in Tennessee, the state is long.  The eastern most hospital has no neurology and I do not know about the western most. I know that the center hospital has neurology.  You might best call and ensure that the hospital in your area has a neurological department.  I do not know why they cut the neurology department, maybe for cost savings.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
18 hours ago, vetquest said:

Shrek, it is dicey as to what hospitals have neurology.  We have three centers in Tennessee, the state is long.  The eastern most hospital has no neurology and I do not know about the western most. I know that the center hospital has neurology.  You might best call and ensure that the hospital in your area has a neurological department.  I do not know why they cut the neurology department, maybe for cost savings.

And for some hospitals, they claim to have a neurology clinic. In reality, it is just a half-day clinic staffed by student doctors. My last three visits to VAMC neuro resulted in me seeing three different student doctors. It doesn't seem to be possible to get in to see staff physicians regularly.

If anyone has any trouble getting in to VA neurology, consider asking for an outside referral via the VA Mission Act.

2 minutes ago, Vync said:

If anyone has any trouble getting in to VA neurology, consider asking for an outside referral via the VA Mission Act.

I now see a civilian doctor for my VA neurology appointments.  It is sort of funny in that this doctor wrote my IMO to the VA before I was awarded benefits and before he started treating VA patients.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
14 minutes ago, vetquest said:

I now see a civilian doctor for my VA neurology appointments.  It is sort of funny in that this doctor wrote my IMO to the VA before I was awarded benefits and before he started treating VA patients.

Kind of the same boat with my urologist. Was seeing the same doc for a year, then got into the VA and was referred back out to the same doc.

I'm not exact on this but i would be surprised that a VA hospital does not have a Neurologist or a resident Neurologist. In most case i have always seen several per one hospital with a chief neurologist as well being the head in charge. All it takes is calling your local VA and request Neurology department and BAM!