VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Blue Water problems with getting deck logs-

Rate this question

Berta

Question

It is a frustrating issue because the VA is going through past denials of thousands of BWN claims that hold a AO presumptive listed as NSC, whose ship was within the 12 mile limit ( HR 299) and the deck logs are being sent from NARA to the VA, as I understand this.

But this case and many ( thousands just like it ),  is why:

The veteran claimed DMII due to AO exposure:

The veteran had active service from April 1971 to February

“FINDINGS OF FACT

1.                                                                                                                           The veteran's service on the U.S.S. Tolovana (AO-64) off

the shore of the Republic of Vietnam did not involve actual

duty or visitation in the Republic of Vietnam.

2.                                                                                                                           The veteran's Type II diabetes mellitus was not manifested

during the veteran's active military service or within one

year after service, and is not otherwise related to such

service.

3.                                                                                                                           The record contains no competent evidence indicating that

the veteran's Type II diabetes mellitus is causally related

to his active service or any incident therein, to include any

exposure to Agent Orange or other chemicals.”

ORDER

Service connection for Type II diabetes mellitus associated

with herbicide exposure is denied. 

https://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files2/0509767.txt

This case is exactly what the VA is seeking- If the veteran ( whose period of service might support )that it was after  May 1971, when he was on the USS Tolovana , he should be receiving a letter from VA soon, advising  him of what info the VA needs. He has an AO presumptive.Hopefully the deck logs he needs is in the hands of the VA already.

The USS Tolvana is on the October VA AO ship's list-  page 26 of 40  , crew went ashore Phu Quoc, Vietnam May 1971.

Also there has been an incredible push from Vet orgs and others to get the 3 presumptives former Secretary Shulkin wanted, on the presumptive list.

And since the 2018 NAS report on AO found a "sufficient" association of hypertension to AO exposure, that is another factor Secretary Wilkie will consider. ( I hope he does)

I have had responses from past VA Secretarys, most  every time I wrote to them, but so far Secretary Wilkie has not responded to my letter regarding not only AO HBP, but also if a veteran has been documented with SC  ischemic heart disease that was awarded due to his exposure to AO in Vietnam ( or 12 mile limit) and the veteran has had an ischemic stroke, after the IHD diagnosis, the stroke should be service connected due to his exposure to AO in Vietnam ( or 12 mile limit criteria per HR 299). His office sent a copy of my letter to my VARO. It seems they held back one of my CUEs due to the letter, but I sent both CUEs to Janesville anyhow.

Edited by Berta

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Berta said:

It is a frustrating issue because the VA is going through past denials of thousands of BWN claims that hold a AO presumptive listed as NSC, whose ship was within the 12 mile limit ( HR 299) and the deck logs are being sent from NARA to the VA, as I understand this.

But this case and many ( thousands just like it ),  is why:

The veteran claimed DMII due to AO exposure:

The veteran had active service from April 1971 to February

“FINDINGS OF FACT

1.                                                                                                                           The veteran's service on the U.S.S. Tolovana (AO-64) off

the shore of the Republic of Vietnam did not involve actual

duty or visitation in the Republic of Vietnam.

2.                                                                                                                           The veteran's Type II diabetes mellitus was not manifested

during the veteran's active military service or within one

year after service, and is not otherwise related to such

service.

3.                                                                                                                           The record contains no competent evidence indicating that

the veteran's Type II diabetes mellitus is causally related

to his active service or any incident therein, to include any

exposure to Agent Orange or other chemicals.”

ORDER

Service connection for Type II diabetes mellitus associated

with herbicide exposure is denied. 

https://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files2/0509767.txt

This case is exactly what the VA is seeking- If the veteran ( whose period of service might support )that it was after  May 1971, when he was on the USS Tolovana , he should be receiving a letter from VA soon, advising  him of what info the VA needs. He has an AO presumptive.Hopefully the deck logs he needs is in the hands of the VA already.

The USS Tolvana is on the October VA AO ship's list-  page 26 of 40  , crew went ashore Phu Quoc, Vietnam May 1971.

Also there has been an incredible push from Vet orgs and others to get the 3 presumptives former Secretary Shulkin wanted, on the presumptive list.

And since the 2018 NAS report on AO found a "sufficient" association of hypertension to AO exposure, that is another factor Secretary Wilkie will consider. ( I hope he does)

I have had responses from past VA Secretarys, most  every time I wrote to them, but so far Secretary Wilkie has not responded to my letter regarding not only AO HBP, but also if a veteran has been documented with SC  ischemic heart disease that was awarded due to his exposure to AO in Vietnam ( or 12 mile limit) and the veteran has had an ischemic stroke, after the IHD diagnosis, the stroke should be service connected due to his exposure to AO in Vietnam ( or 12 mile limit criteria per HR 299). His office sent a copy of my letter to my VARO. It seems they held back one of my CUEs due to the letter, but I sent both CUEs to Janesville anyhow.

“Are they aware of the internal  investigation the VA did? Have

I will look in Mount Katmai AE16 ships log to see if I can help. I remember our ship being refueled by a couple of times by the Tolovana. I have also seen the Tolovana in our deck logs while searching to see if our ship was within the 12 nautical miles of Vietnam. I found where my ship was in 12 nautical miles. Maybe the refueling took place in the 12 nautical miles. I will let you what I find out.

That would be Great!

I asked many more Blue Waters to join us- here- I hope they do- I bet 90% or more of Blue Water Veterans have no idea of HR 299 and Procopio. I just hope the VA is really sending out letters to the- they said to 70,000- but the estimates are for up to 130,000 BWN vets who might be affected by all of this.